Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the most convincing piece of data showing climate change is real?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Do you actually know how the planet balances carbon levels? With carbon sinks. Do you know what we're doing to them? Chopping them down.

So how exactly is the planet going to take care of the increasing levels of atmospheric CO2? Go ahead, I'm all ears.

Not quite. The biggest carbon sink is the ocean and all the waters in the world. CO2 slips into and out of solution, depending on atmospheric CO2 concentrations going up and down. That's one of the main reasons for acidification of the oceans, when CO2 in solution turns the water into a weak acid after being absorbed bythe ocean.

All living organisms can be considered carbon sinks, as all life is carbon based, so all the vegetation and animal life are carbon sinks.

The soil, also a living organism, is a huge carbon sink with huge potential to capture and store carbon in stable organic compounds under the tertiaty vegetation covering the soils. Under proper management, a lot of which is currently being researched and expanded, soils can store a very large proportion of the released carbon from human consumption of stored carbon released from fossil fuels from the last 100 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

Not quite. The biggest carbon sink is the ocean and all the waters in the world. CO2 slips into and out of solution, depending on atmospheric CO2 concentrations going up and down. That's one of the main reasons for acidification of the oceans, when CO2 in solution turns the water into a weak acid after being absorbed bythe ocean.

All living organisms can be considered carbon sinks, as all life is carbon based, so all the vegetation and animal life are carbon sinks.

The soil, also a living organism, is a huge carbon sink with huge potential to capture and store carbon in stable organic compounds under the tertiaty vegetation covering the soils. Under proper management, a lot of which is currently being researched and expanded, soils can store a very large proportion of the released carbon from human consumption of stored carbon released from fossil fuels from the last 100 years.

Maybe we should become meditation experts and fast most days and live off leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭JoeFritzl

I mean it's true. The planet has existed for billions of years and has overcome all sorts of obstacles and hurdles to still be here.

We hardly post the greatest risk to the planet. We're too self-centered if we think we can have any merit on the temperature changes.

JoeFritzl wrote: »
    I mean it's true. The planet has existed for billions of years and has overcome all sorts of obstacles and hurdles to still be here.

We hardly post the greatest risk to the planet. We're too self-centered if we think we can have any merit on the temperature changes.

Climate alarmists are no different than religious fundamentalists fearing the end of the world if we don't change our ways.

We all die.

No one is getting out of here alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Titclamp wrote: »
    Who actually gives a ****.

The planet most definitely doesn't.

And you think we are powerful enough to control the planet? Talk about grandiosity. We think we are God yet we don't believe in it of bit of there is one or not.

Talk about delusional.

We will destroy our way of life here

Not the planet.

The planet doesn't even know we are here..

When it does. A good few tidal waves and goodnight.

What an Earth are you talking about?

• Advertisement

Woke Hogan wrote: »

The day after tomorrow.

Not surprised it can't fathom to not comprehend.

The day after tomorrow.

Graduates from clown college version of climate change.

Not surprised it can't fathom to not comprehend.

Seriously what were you talking about? That was like a textual representation of when people were talking weird in Twin Peaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

It just plain common sense, scientific studies are not necessary. If you think it's a good idea to use up infinite resources that result in the unnatural release of various forms of waste that have multiple ill effects your a damm fool. But it goes deeper than that of course as we currently have an economic model that is unsustainable; but will never be challenged.
    The fate that befell the inhabitants of Easter island will eventually also be that of humanity on a global scale.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement

Which clown college did they pluck you out of?

University of Life, I expect. Or “de skool of hard knocks.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I don't doubt climate change is partially down to our way of living and I do believe we should move to a more sustainable way of life but I just don't trust the governments of the world and I fear that they will use scaremongering to increase taxes and keep people afraid. Fear is control, It's been seen right through history from religion to post 911 attacks. A population afraid will let their government away with murder ,literally. Oh and I also fear carbon taxes.

Which clown college did they pluck you out of?

The one you tried to get into for years.

Seriously what were you talking about? That was like a textual representation of when people were talking weird in Twin Peaks.

Have you a lemon cheesecake for a prefrontal cortex or the Benny hill boxset?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Mega fires in australia,fires stronger and more extreme than anything ever seen before, look at the storms and floods we had had in ireland in the last year.
    Droughts and forest fires in california worse than ever before .Look at the floods in the uk.
    listening to a radio radio program today on rte radio.
    Farmers say we used to get bad floods every 10 years ,now its every 1-2 years .
    They are losing land they might never get back.
    the only explanation is climate change , we are getting more extreme weather
    ,fires, floods all over the world.
    Yes the planet will change, and continue to exist,
    rising tempetures, floods and fires will make certain countrys
    not fit to live in ,
    We need safe places to live with water and food and fuel .
    We should be closing down coal fired power stations ,
    we could switch to solar power or wind power or other forms of clean energy .
    We have limited time to change our ways before climate change
    makes the planet not fit for humans to live on.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Feets

I don't doubt climate change is partially down to our way of living and I do believe we should move to a more sustainable way of life but I just don't trust the governments of the world and I fear that they will use scaremongering to increase taxes and keep people afraid. Fear is control, It's been seen right through history from religion to post 911 attacks. A population afraid will let their government away with murder ,literally. Oh and I also fear carbon taxes.

Carbon taxes should be payable by governments...and higher taxes at that, if they miss targets....though it should not be paid for by public taxes as we can't control if they miss targets....so its a tricky one.
    But don't place this on governments to begin with...I have yet to meet a rich climate scientist. Ask yourselves about them...they do it for the love of their job and if you don't like valid research, then that is on you. They have no reason to create lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Have you a lemon cheesecake for a prefrontal cortex or the Benny hill boxset?

You ok, my friend? You seem a bit tetchy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Any Pastafarian will tell you that this.

piratesarecool4.gif

Somalia has the highest number of Pirates AND the lowest Carbon emissions of any country.

Coincidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Bob Harris wrote: »
    I sprayed weeds today to keep them down.
    It's the 22nd of February.
    I cut the grass last week and could get another cut off it his week all while wearing short sleeves.
    Seasons have been increasingly morphing into one another for the last few decades.
    JoeFritzl wrote: »

the fact you are cutting your grass so often is thanks to all the carbon dioxide which is feeding the greenery.

Lads to be fair grass will grow once it is over 6 degrees celsius. Most lawns turn into mini jungles most winters if left unmowed. We get mild winters in Ireland because of the gulf stream. Always have and probably always will as long as the equator stays warmer than the poles and the earth spins in the same direction.

If I point out that our weather is pretty much normal for the time of year to climate alarmists I hear that rebuttal that I do not understand the difference between climate and weather.

However, when current weather suits their alarmist argument (a mild Irish day in January, hot days in Australian cities) that rule gets mysteriously dropped temporarily. "Look at the crazy weather and believe! Something is obviously happening to the climate"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

topper75 wrote: »
    Lads to be fair grass will grow once it is over 6 degrees celsius. Most lawns turn into mini jungles most winters if left unmowed. We get mild winters in Ireland because of the gulf stream. Always have and probably always will as long as the equator stays warmer than the poles and the earth spins in the same direction.

If I point out that our weather is pretty much normal for the time of year to climate alarmists I hear that rebuttal that I do not understand the difference between climate and weather.

However, when current weather suits their alarmist argument (a mild Irish day in January, hot days in Australian cities) that rule gets mysteriously dropped temporarily. "Look at the crazy weather and believe! Something is obviously happening to the climate"

Where I live I've been cutting grass for 11 years and it's the first time I've had to cut it and spray weeds in mid-February. The norm would be the beginning of April. There are quite a few farmers where I am most of them farming for over 30 years and they'll attest to progressively milder and shorter winters. It's purely anecdotal evidence and it's worth is debatable but over the last half century there has been a perceptible change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The weird fella, Noel, 4 houses down has started building some sort of big boat in his garden. At least I think he said his name was Noel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

razorblunt wrote: »
    The weird fella, Noel, 4 houses down has started building some sort of big boat in his garden. At least I think he said his name was Noel.

You need to go down there...look at it for a while saying nothing and then come out with....

descarga.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

topper75 wrote: »

Are you living abroad by any chance topper? You seem ready for fight about it I would expect that readiness more from Nordic area countries.

riclad wrote: »
    We should be closing down coal fired power stations ,
    we could switch to solar power or wind power or other forms of clean energy .

I live in the midwest. I suspect most of the energy I use in my office during the day and home in the evening comes from Moneypoint. Out there, they burn Polish coal shipped up the estuary.

How do you replace that power for an entire region with simple wind power or solar panels? Every last field across Clare and Limerick would have to be covered in panels or turbine towers, even disregarding the massive investment costs.

Your proposal is not feasible I'm afraid. These solutions can work for certain areas of the world* but not for Ireland.

I appreciate the need for change and the long term unsustainability of fossil fuels, but the substitute source is simply not there today.

*Solar panels in Sahara but houses don't need much heat there, wind power can cater in full perhaps for small island communities such as Aran etc.

Smiles35 wrote: »
    Are you living abroad by any chance topper? You seem ready for fight about it I would expect that readiness more from Nordic area countries.

No Smiles, I'm in midwest of Ireland.

I never could leave a lawn until April, even back in the 70s and 80s when winters were a little colder. It is a jungle by late Feb always. It is back to that simple thing grass grows over 6 celcius. So many of our winter days (in ANY winter) are over 6.

I don't want to 'fight' anyone. But I see a mass defection from rational thinking on this issue - esp things like new tax proposals that doesn't seem to be ringfenced for anything, corporate virtue signalling in ads, and kids bunking off school with virtually all Irish media cheerleading it. I get exasperated with that. It is complete ball locks.

Advertisement