Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you buy in America?

Options
  • 18-02-2020 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭

So in a few weeks ill be Stateside and will do a bit of shopping. I know the clothes will be great value but what else have people bought in the US that was significantly cheaper?

E.g. years ago I was in Walmart and got a great deal on an iPad compared to back home.

Should I expect tariffs if I don't take the labels off clothes? Can you claim back sales tax at the airport?

Comments

You don't get much dollar for your euro these days..... You might be surprised at how expensive stuff is over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,784 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd price what you want to buy here first so you have an idea of the difference is, it can sometimes be misleading the pricing as it excludes sales tax when on display. Some retailers such as Macy's will offer a tourist discount of 10% if you show your passport at the information desk instore.

You can bring back €430 worth of goods without tariff...
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_to_ireland/customs_regulations_for_travellers.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Augeo wrote: »
    You don't get much dollar for your euro these days..... You might be surprised at how expensive stuff is over there.

It's so true but I'm going to get a Revolut card which apparently gives you the interbank exchange rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,784 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

bilbot79 wrote: »
    It's so true but I'm going to get a Revolut card which apparently gives you the interbank exchange rate.

Yes Revolut is great for purchases but if needing to withdraw cash from ATM's over there most charge at least $3 a go, usually makes more sense bringing whatever physical dollars you need to spend with you rather than withdrawing from ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭insullation

OP what part of The States are you going to?. There is very few savings to be made especially if heading to somewhere like Boston. Clothes at outlets perhaps but other than that your not going to save much and lots of stuff can be got cheaper here

• Advertisement
Advertisement