Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people get called racist so easily?

Options
  • 18-02-2020 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

Got a bit bothered reading something today where locals were complaining about people from a different culture suddenly being thrust upon their community. When they complained they were just called racist and that seemed to scare them into staying quiet.

For the love of God i don't think there is anything wrong with not wanting another foreign culture pushed on you and your family and community. It's pretty natural to resist this given our tribal evolution.

I'm not saying foreign cultures are all bad, however there are negatives which tend to be swept under the 'racist' carpet - e.g. schools being forced to change age old traditions to accommodate hugely increased numbers of other religions and cultural practices.. this is, like it or not, how our Irish culture gets 'neutralised' or 'sterilised'.. some of it is probably needed but it's a bit sad too.

But seriously, just because I want to protect my culture doesn't make me a racist. That's a horrible little culture that seems to have evolved. We're definitely in strange times.

Comments

Complaining against others just because they are from a different country or culture is racist.
    So what's your issue exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Got a bit bothered reading something today where locals were complaining about people from a different culture suddenly being thrust upon their community. When they complained they were just called racist and that seemed to scare them into staying quiet.

For the love of God i don't think there is anything wrong with not wanting another foreign culture pushed on you and your family and community. It's pretty natural to resist this given our tribal evolution.................

So what you're saying is that your irishness is so shallow it'll disappear if exposed to a different culture?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭SwordofLight

No I didn't say any of what the three of you are implying. Stop being racist towards me

bubblypop wrote: »
    Complaining against others just because they are from a different country or culture is racist.
    So what's your issue exactly?

Are you taking the piss? Racist means prejudice against RACE

OSI wrote: »
    What exactly counts as "being thrust upon their community"?

Where's the evidence of this happening?

Check out the front of the irish independent website

• Advertisement

No I didn't say any of what the three of you are implying. ..............

No, that's exactly what your post amounts to. Your irishness and irish culture is so weak it can't withstand exposure to other cultures.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Odhinn wrote: »
    No, that's exactly what your post amounts to. Your irishness and irish culture is so weak it can't withstand exposure to other cultures.

Would that include the unionist and loyalist communities in Norn Iron?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

because its easier for stupid people to do so instead of analysing the issue and discussing it in a rational manner.

then again some people are racist A holes

So what you're saying is that your irishness is so shallow it'll disappear if exposed to a different culture?

No, didn't say that nor imply it. Put your specs back on. What I would say however is that the next generation will be less of the older Irish cultures, obviously.

No, didn't say that nor imply it. Put your specs back on. What I would say however is that the next generation will be less of the older Irish cultures, obviously.

You mean inter-generational change..like the way an older generation would never have voted for gay marriage, or more liberal abortion laws. Are those because of "different cultures"?

• Advertisement

You mean inter-generational change..like the way an older generation would never have voted for gay marriage, or more liberal abortion laws. Are those because of "different cultures"?

I think you are twisting it now. Are you saying that being gay is a 'cultural' feature?

And if you re-read my post you will see i did acknowledge some old traditional beliefs may be better left in the past... but I think you are using those extremes to water the issue down and work towards villifying anyone who stands up for protecting Irish culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Are you taking the piss? Racist means prejudice against RACE

So that's your issue? That people aren't being literal to the term race as you understand it?

Well, I think you've answered your own question then. You appear to define race very specifically (I assume something like black, white, Asian), whilst others are basing it on some combination of culture and nationality.

Would it make you happy if they'd called the individuals in question "discriminatory based on nationality, language and cultural background" instead of "racist"?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,095 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I wouldn't worry about it. The country is already a mixture of the descendants of all sorts of foreigners that came here over the last few thousand years.

No I didn't say any of what the three of you are implying. Stop being racist towards me

How is anyone being racist towards you?
    Explain please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

I'd rather have a diverse population of people rather than strictly only Irish folks. That to me would be a very boring existence I think it's great to see the different influences other cultures have on areas such as sports, food, music etc.

Really?
    What about the Irish that moved overseas?
    Do you think they continue their Irish culture? Music dance etc?
    If they can continue their culture overseas, why do you think it would disappear here in Ireland?

I agree.

It's when the native population become outnumbered and old traditions and communities are lost that is sad.

OSI wrote: »
    What exactly counts as "being thrust upon their community"?

Where's the evidence of this happening?

Don't expect a thorough answer. OP reads as a paranoid whine about different cultures encroaching on his proud turf.

I think you are twisting it now. Are you saying that being gay is a 'cultural' feature?

No, I'm saying that inter generational change occurs regardless of exposure to 'foriegn culture'.
    And if you re-read my post you will see i did acknowledge some old traditional beliefs may be better left in the past... but I think you are using those extremes to water the issue down and work towards villifying anyone who stands up for protecting Irish culture.

Again, you seem to have this notion that Irish culture - your irish culture - is easily undermined by exposure to different cultures. That says far more about you than the foriegners, tbh.

I agree.

It's when the native population become outnumbered and old traditions and communities are lost that is sad.

That happened in America. But I don't think it will happen here.

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    Really?
    What about the Irish that moved overseas?
    Do you think they continue their Irish culture? Music dance etc?
    If they can continue their culture overseas, why do you think it would disappear here in Ireland?

Have you lived abroad? Do you understand what happens?

Irish people abroad are generally respectful of the local cultures and tend to row in with the locals. Sadly that is not the case for some other cultures coming to ireland. I guess I'm a racist for saying anything negative about other cultures aren't I bubblypop :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,091 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I don't believe people get called racist very easily in Ireland. I'm in my early 50s and have never been called racist. I don't know anyone who has been called racist. So I'm thinking that only a certain type of person gets called racist. Maybe these people aren't the victims they make themselves out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭RonanG86

No, not unless the immigrants (and they weren't so much immigrants as conquerors) bring over illnesses that kill heaps of us.

It's happened in lots of countries. What makes you think it won't happen here?

It's happened in lots of countries. What makes you think it won't happen here?

...what happen here? Somebody having to share a bus with a foriegner and ending up less irish because of it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

The word racism is like spirituality now, make up your own version of racism.

I ain't racist, I don't accuse anyone of being racist either.

Its a serious accusation to call someone racist should be as serious as being racist.

The repercussions of falsely accusing someone as being racist should be harsh.

No, I'm saying that inter generational change occurs regardless of exposure to 'foriegn culture'.

Again, you seem to have this notion that Irish culture - your irish culture - is easily undermined by exposure to different cultures. That says far more about you than the foriegners, tbh.

You're making a lot of assumptions now. I think it is pretty naive on your part to equate inter-generational change with change due to mass inter-cultural integration.

...what happen here? Somebody having to share a bus with a foriegner and ending up less irish because of it?

I can't help but feel you're out to troll the discussion... :(

You're making a lot of assumptions now. I think it is pretty naive on your part to equate inter-generational change with change due to mass inter-cultural integration.

...yeah, the whole 'foriegner makes me less irish' thing. Says a lot more about you than the foriegners tbh.

• Advertisement

The mass integration happened already. The foreigners became more Irish than the Irish themselves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement