Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people get called racist so easily?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,385 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

No, didn't say that nor imply it. Put your specs back on. What I would say however is that the next generation will be less of the older Irish cultures, obviously.

Lots of elements of Irish culture have changed in the last 30 years. When I was a nipper there was lots of Irish dancing in the community Hall and it was done in the local schools. The older people knew the fairy tales and local stories about magic wells. That stuff is much less prevalent than in the past and it's nothing to do with foreigners. It's just Irish people choosing to do other things.

I wouldn't worry about other people, OP. If you're concerned about Irish culture the best way to preserve it is to learn the customs and practice it yourself. Complaining about foreigners is beside the point. But if you want to complain about foreigners and be racist*, go ahead.

*technically xenophobic. But thats just semantics. The term 'racist' covers both in common speech

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭SwordofLight

Don't expect a thorough answer. OP reads as a paranoid whine about different cultures encroaching on his proud turf.

Thanks for your valuable contribution mate. I could take or leave the Irish culture. That's an assumption you've made which has blinded you to getting the point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

I see the pitch forks and torches are out, won't be long now before the outrage starts at the OP

A tree with its roots inside out knows what the op is trying to suggest or explain..

Im not going to comment any more on the post, but this should be epic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Thanks for your valuable contribution mate. I could take or leave the Irish culture. That's an assumption you've made which has blinded you to getting the point.

So you don't even care about your own race? Do you just hate every display of nationalism regardless who perpetrates it? That's worryingly insecure, sounds like you need to get help.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,095 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The encouraging thing is that when they get integrated their children will be the ones complaining about the next lot of new incomers. Like the second and third generation South Asians voting for Brexit because of the arrival of East Europeans in cities in the North of England.

• Advertisement

Have you lived abroad? Do you understand what happens?

Irish people abroad are generally respectful of the local cultures and tend to row in with the locals. Sadly that is not the case for some other cultures coming to ireland. I guess I'm a racist for saying anything negative about other cultures aren't I bubblypop :rolleyes:

Yep I have lived overseas. & I have a lot of family that emigrated to the UK & USA.
    All still are involved in Irish culture.
    Irish dancing, Irish music & GAA
    & yes they also get along with any other cultures they live with.

I lived overseas myself, as part of a contingent of Irish people. We held a festival on St Patrick's day, & everyone from many different countries attended, it went down very well, & everyone really enjoyed themselves.
    Same as many other days/ celebrations I went to there, hosted by people from other cultures / countries. I had a great time at them
    Didn't make me any less Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

I wouldn't worry about it. The country is already a mixture of the descendants of all sorts of foreigners that came here over the last few thousand years.

False.

It is the tuatha de danaan and that's it.

English, vikings, Gaels etc can **** off.

Tuatha de Danaan!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Racists are bolloxes.

I could take or leave the Irish culture..

What do you mean by this OP?

Lots of elements of Irish culture have changed in the last 30 years. When I was a nipper there was lots of Irish dancing in the community Hall and it was done in the local schools. The older people knew the fairy tales and local stories about magic wells. That stuff is much less prevalent than in the past and it's nothing to do with foreigners. It's just Irish people choosing to do other things.

I wouldn't worry about other people, OP. If you're concerned about Irish culture the best way to preserve it is to learn the customs and practice it yourself. Complaining about foreigners is beside the point. But I'd you want to complain about foreigners and be racist*, go ahead.

*technically xenophobic. But thats just semantics. The term 'racist' covers both in common speech

I'd have to disagree that the term can be casually used in common speech and refer you to the serious nature of it, as it is a criminal offence to be racist.

I've said there are good and bad aspects of other cultures coming into ireland but it seems people want to bash me and call me racist for any kind of notion that other cultures could be in any way negative. I don't know if you've all been living under a comfortable post-recession rock - there have been plenty of reports in the news and local newspapers of negative events linked to people coming into the country, the most recent being the fiasco in Tullamore today.
    I obviously won't point out the extremes such as the 'Dublin' couple who were prosecuted the other week for FGM on their child, because that might make me 'racist'. I'm also aware of the young Syrian refugees playing hurling and football and I think that is amazing.

My eyes are open, are yours?

• Advertisement

So you don't even care about your own race? Do you just hate every display of nationalism regardless who perpetrates it? That's worryingly insecure, sounds like you need to get help.

You're confusing culture with race

• Registered Users Posts: 21,095 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I obviously won't point out the extremes such as the 'Dublin' couple who were prosecuted the other week for FGM on their child, because that might make me 'racist'.

Now that you have pointed it out, I see nothing racist about you doing so.

You're confusing culture with race

OK, correction. You don't even care about the culture of your own race, and just hate any infiltration of culture that isn't your personal one. To be honest, you're probably not being racist. You seem to have an opposition to any change in the culture around you or in any other place.

I'd have to disagree that the term can be casually used in common speech and refer you to the serious nature of it, as it is a criminal offence to be racist.

Yeah, they are used interchangeable because they're the same thing just referring to race, culture, country of origin. Same thing.

Like I said, if you're worried about your culture, practice it. Irish culture has a strong oral tradition. Learn the stories and tell them to people who are interested... Or don't and just complain about foreigners and then complain about being called racist.

OK, correction. You don't even care about the culture of your own race, and just hate any infiltration of culture that isn't your personal one. To be honest, you're probably not being racist. You seem to have an opposition to any change in the culture around you or in any other place.

Can you explain how you have deduced this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

OP, as you can see, you've come to the wrong place if you want to have a conversation on immigration to Ireland, a conversation which has no negatives in being had as the result is usually it is good to have new races/cultures come in, however the good people of boards will shoot you down for even asking to have the conversations.
    Todays moto is "I'll fight for your free speech, as long as its the speech I approve of"

Snotty wrote: »
    OP, as you can see, you've come to the wrong place if you want to have a conversation on immigration to Ireland, a conversation which has no negatives in being had as the result is usually it is good to have new races/cultures come in, however the good people of boards will shoot you down for even asking to have the conversations.
    Todays moto is "I'll fight for your free speech, as long as its the speech I approve of"

Yeah but nobody has stopped them from speaking. It's a bit precious to complain just because everyone doesn't agree with you.

Yeah, they are used interchangeable because they're the same thing just referring to race, culture, country of origin. Same thing.

Like I said, if you're worried about your culture, practice it. Irish culture has a strong oral tradition. Learn the stories and tell them to people who are interested... Or don't and just complain about foreigners and then complain about being called racist.

Well I think the point in the post here duderino is that racism is NOT related to culture, country of origin etc.

So, for logic sake, if I say I hate people from Canada but like people from America I'm a racist?

Can you explain how you have deduced this.

But seriously, just because I want to protect my culture doesn't make me a racist. That's a horrible little culture that seems to have evolved.
    You don't care about Irish culture or don't regard it as your culture but you nonetheless want to protect anything from changing, for some reason, and apparently not a racist reason.

Well I think the point in the post here duderino is that racism is NOT related to culture, country of origin etc.

So, for logic sake, if I say I hate people from Canada but like people from America I'm a racist?

In colloquial usage it would be perfectly normal to call that racist. The legal definition would be more precise, naturally.

• Advertisement

Snotty wrote: »

No, I don't believe that is true
    The OP has some problem with people moving into Ireland, that they will somehow erode Irish culture.
    Obviously that isn't true

& won't answer posts that they asked questions to already

You don't care about Irish culture or don't regard it as your culture but you nonetheless want to protect anything from changing, for some reason, and apparently not a racist reason.

I see. Let me clarify.

I could take or leave the Irish culture however I think it would be very sad to see it lost.

If I can redirect you to the main topic and away from some kind of witch-hunt to 'oust' me as a racist or bad person for wanting to discuss the possibility there may be negatives to the huge numbers of other cultures coming into Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

If we replaced the word extremism with “calling people racist” in the John Cleese monologue, it answers the question in the title perfectly.

“Well. The biggest advantage of calling people racist is that it makes you feel GOOD because it provides you with enemies. Let me explain. The great thing about having enemies is that you can pretend that all the badness in the whole world is in your enemies, and all the goodness in the whole world is in YOU. Attractive, isn't it?

So, if you have a lot of anger and resentment in you anyway and you therefore enjoy abusing people, then you can pretend that you're only doing it because these enemies of yours are such very bad persons!

And if it wasn't for them, you'd actually be good natured, and courteous, and rational all the time. So, if you want to FEEL GOOD, *call people racist*. You can strut around, abusing people, and telling them you could eat them for breakfast and still think of yourself as a champion of the truth. A fighter for the greater good. And not the rather sad paranoid schizoid that you really are."

Alright.

My take on it is that wanting cultures to keep to themselves whilst not maintaining or engaging with one's own culture is not racist, but it is very unusual and you'd wonder why anyone would do it if they weren't racist.

In colloquial usage it would be perfectly normal to call that racist. The legal definition would be more precise, naturally.

The problem which you seem to not want to acknowledge is that the use of the term should not be thrown around colloquially as you say - it's of the same serious nature as being called a rapist.

shutup wrote: »
    If we replaced the word extremism with “calling people racist” in the John Cleese monologue, it answers the question in the title perfectly.

“Well. The biggest advantage of calling people racist is that it makes you feel GOOD because it provides you with enemies. Let me explain. The great thing about having enemies is that you can pretend that all the badness in the whole world is in your enemies, and all the goodness in the whole world is in YOU. Attractive, isn't it?

So, if you have a lot of anger and resentment in you anyway and you therefore enjoy abusing people, then you can pretend that you're only doing it because these enemies of yours are such very bad persons!

And if it wasn't for them, you'd actually be good natured, and courteous, and rational all the time. So, if you want to FEEL GOOD, *call people racist*. You can strut around, abusing people, and telling them you could eat them for breakfast and still think of yourself as a champion of the truth. A fighter for the greater good. And not the rather sad paranoid schizoid that you really are."
    You're presuming that they're calling people racist to feel good. It's probably because the person is being insensitive and hateful to people who aren't like them on the basis of race.

Alright.

My take on it is that wanting cultures to keep to themselves whilst not maintaining or engaging with one's own culture is not racist, but it is very unusual and you'd wonder why anyone would do it if they weren't racist.

I think I would tend to agree.

It doesn't sit right with me that other cultures would move to a country and deny local traditions, for example in keeping to themselves and forming their own communities. I can understand why it might happen, for example if there was prejudice and hatred towards them then why would they want to integrate, much like the Irish communities that formed in London in the far gone past; however when new cultures appear and begin demanding change of the local traditions it just doesn't feel right.

I see. Let me clarify.
    I could take or leave the Irish culture

So the OP, doesn't care about the Irish culture one bit.
    But doesn't want to see other cultures in Ireland.

Seems a bit racist to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Yeah but nobody has stopped them from speaking. It's a bit precious to complain just because everyone doesn't agree with you.

Great example, you try to be condescending because we don't agree, the reality is we do agree, new cultures are good for Ireland, what you do not agree with is that having a conversation to that very end is also perfectly acceptable.

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    So the OP, doesn't care about the Irish culture one bit.
    But doesn't want to see other cultures in Ireland.

Seems a bit racist to me!

Are you even reading the other posts - stop trolling.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement