Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling House to Local Authority 2020

Options
  • 19-02-2020 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Considering putting my house up for sale and approaching the local authority gauging their interest before i put it on the open market.

Thought it might be useful if anyone in else is in the process if we could all discuss it in one thread.

Anyone else started this process yet this year?

How much below market rate do they go?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

kilburn wrote: »
    Hi All,

Considering putting my house up for sale and approaching the local authority gauging their interest before i put it on the open market.

Thought it might be useful if anyone in else is in the process if we could all discuss it in one thread.

Anyone else started this process yet this year?

How much below market rate do they go?

Thanks

Just had a friend try this and DCC turned down a house in Crumlin as there was too much social housing in the area.....an area they built and filled with social housing.

Surprise all round as most houses there are now probably privately owned !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KilOit

I'd imagine your house has to be under certain price but I thought I heard they bought houses over 400k in the past

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Observing houses that a council have bought in our local area lately, they were all houses with no extensions or attic conversions or additions, basically....they have a standard spec for their houses and I have an impression they won't go for houses that have been extensively remodelled structurally, as let's face it, it wouldn't be that fair. If it would cost them to undo big structural work that you have done I don't think they are very prepared to take it on.Maybe something to bear in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Just had a friend try this and DCC turned down a house in Crumlin as there was too much social housing in the area.....an area they built and filled with social housing.

Surprise all round as most houses there are now probably privately owned !

Most councils have or at least had a social housing threshold, I got a Govt minister to write to them when I wanted them to take one from me and they'd no problem ignoring that limit at the time.

Advertisement