Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple Airtags

• 19-02-2020 11:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭

With the March event coming up & the much rumoured airtags supposed to be announced, I was wondering if there's many potential users here?

What appeals to me is the fact that any iPhone will act as a transmitter for them rather than having to rely on tile users.

Approx 44% of smartphones in Ireland are apple devices, that's a pretty impressive marketshare & amount of transmitters, compared to Tile - there's currently 950+ tile users "near" me - that's all of Dublin, so if I lose my keys in the city centre there's very little chance of getting them back (different in my home where I've three users, two of whom misplace keys regularly).

I'm not mad on the rumoured shape of them, they look like Mentos according to renders, but I guess Tile has a copyright on their square design. I also cant see how you can attach them to something.

Any potential customers among our lot here?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭shanec1928

all depends on pricing imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭OU812

I disagree, I'm prepared to pay a premium over tile (have just replaced four tiles), because of the Wideband technology.

My current tiles are only active since November & I got 14 months out of the previous ones, but I'd be prepared to change them out if these are as good as they look (after reviews etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭iniall

OU812 wrote: »
    With the March event coming up & the much rumoured airtags supposed to be announced, I was wondering if there's many potential users here?

What appeals to me is the fact that any iPhone will act as a transmitter for them rather than having to rely on tile users.

Approx 44% of smartphones in Ireland are apple devices, that's a pretty impressive marketshare & amount of transmitters, compared to Tile - there's currently 950+ tile users "near" me - that's all of Dublin, so if I lose my keys in the city centre there's very little chance of getting them back (different in my home where I've three users, two of whom misplace keys regularly).

I'm not mad on the rumoured shape of them, they look like Mentos according to renders, but I guess Tile has a copyright on their square design. I also cant see how you can attach them to something.

Any potential customers among our lot here?

Is it not just iPhones with the UWB chip in them that will work with these new tags? iPhone 11/11 Pro. Maybe the new SE too...? But older iPhones don't have the ultra wideband chip, so won't be able to utilise the tags' UWB, so will presumably have to rely on Bluetooth (assuming that's an option).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭OU812

You are indeed correct, (I'd say BT would be used also), but given the very high number of iPhones in the country I'd still say you'd have more than 950 users in Dublin in total

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I’m not one for loosing things but I think I’d spring for one just to have safety net on the keys or something.

I wonder if people would use the them to slyly track people.. pop it in a bag or a jacket pocket.. maybe it wouldn’t really work that way (I’ve no understanding of them as yet).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 gildan

It depends on price but i'd be interested. Especially since I have one or two people I live with who are a little nonchalant with their belongings (ok they're kids) but who could benefit from these Airtags. I'll wait and see

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭turfthrower

Yeah, a tag for my car keys and one for my wallet seems like a no-brainer. I've already spent a huge chunk of change on an 11 Pro Max and I always know where that is (And if I don't I can ping it from my watch), so as long as the airtags are relatively affordable, I'll certain pick some up for the items I regularly wander around the house trying to find.

Advertisement