Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most reliable place to check availability/Potential speeds?

• 19-02-2020 2:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭

Hey I'm trying to find out the best place to learn what type broadband is available to me.

Currently Fibre is not available from what I know, but Im being told different things from different sites/people.

I went onto Airwires Website which told me VDSL is available with speeds up to 100mb. Then checking my address on Eir's website, it tells me speeds up to 15 mb are available.

Im currently with lightnets fixed wireless which has been great and hitting speeds of 20-30mb download and even higher but ideally I want wired connection/Fibre.

What are the best ways to find out if Fibre is coming/Type speeds I can hit? I assume Eir just rent all their lines to the likes of Airwire anyways?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭clohamon

joe123 wrote: »
    Hey I'm trying to find out the best place to learn what type broadband is available to me.

Currently Fibre is not available from what I know, but Im being told different things from different sites/people.

I went onto Airwires Website which told me VDSL is available with speeds up to 100mb. Then checking my address on Eir's website, it tells me speeds up to 15 mb are available.

Im currently with lightnets fixed wireless which has been great and hitting speeds of 20-30mb download and even higher but ideally I want wired connection/Fibre.

What are the best ways to find out if Fibre is coming/Type speeds I can hit? I assume Eir just rent all their lines to the likes of Airwire anyways?

Try the Department's map and check whether you're actually in a dark blue area....
    https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx

...if so, then have a look at Eircom's list of VDSL --> FTTP upgrade areas.
    https://www.eir.ie/pressroom/eir-launches-0.5-billion-fixed-network-investment-programme/

...if not you'll probably have to wait for the NBP or possibly an extension of the SIRO coverage, which they say they are considering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

clohamon wrote: »
    Try the Department's map and check whether you're actually in a dark blue area....
    https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx

...if so, then have a look at Eircom's list of VDSL --> FTTP upgrade areas.
    https://www.eir.ie/pressroom/eir-launches-0.5-billion-fixed-network-investment-programme/

...if not you'll probably have to wait for the NBP or possibly an extension of the SIRO coverage, which they say they are considering.

Had a look on the first map. The estate im moving to is surrounded by purple and then each individual house in the estate is amber :cool: Airwire are telling me I can get VDSL though, so guessing thats a possibility. Beats the usual asdl speeds :/

Capture.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭clohamon

joe123 wrote: »
    Had a look on the first map. The estate im moving to is surrounded by purple and then each individual house in the estate is amber :cool: Airwire are telling me I can get VDSL though, so guessing thats a possibility. Beats the usual asdl speeds :/

Capture.JPG

Amber dot means it's an NGA fail i.e. <30Mb/s.

So after Airwire were about to send out someone to hook me up for VDSL with promised speeds of 50mb, they said the cabinet isnt actually live. (same cabinet has been like that for about 3 years now)

Cant get a fixed Wireless signal either so im stuck with copper broadband. Line checker on eir says "up to 15mb".

The engineer connected the line there yesterday and he mentioned I should tell Vodafone im currently on the basic line and to upgrade me. Any idea what he meant by this? At the time I just assumed they could bump me from 15mb up to 20mb or something.....

Rang vodafone and got through to an outsourcer and all they said was Fibre isnt available to me yet but will be in touch if it comes available.

Did the engineer from KPN (think this was the company) mean I should be able to get better speeds on copper or what exactly?

Anyone know what how/if I can check?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The best guess I can make is you're on a legacy bitstream not the NGN version, but thats really just a guess. The difference would be latency and contention.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    The best guess I can make is you're on a legacy bitstream not the NGN version, but thats really just a guess. The difference would be latency and contention.

Anyway I can check this? Is it a simple change on the ISP's end or does it require further work?

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

There is no way for you to check. The provider may or may not be able to check this.

Our checker tries to be as accurate as it can. It looks at your distance from the nearest cabinet and the data we get from OpenEIR. The reason we do this, is that the database we receive from OpenEIR is fairly poor, especially when it comes to copper lines. These are not indexed by Eircode, so it's very hard to locate them in the first place.

Our checker also does not look at ADSL (old Bitstream) data, because we do not offer these products.

Now, here is the culprit: even when you are near a cabinet, your line may go to another cabinet further down the line and in some cases your line doesn't go through any cabinets, but instead straight to the exchange.

If the cabinet, that your line passes is not enabled, then you can not get VDSL. We are actually working on filtering out that particular scenario, when we have cabinet data for the lines listed for a premise.

If your line goes to the exchange, the exchange is eVDSL enabled and your cable run is less than 1.5km (it used to be 2km, but OpenEIR have pulled back on that), then you can get VDSL.

OpenEIR has no process or way of changing you from one cabinet to another. Whatever way your line is wired, is the way it always will be.

Otherwise, you may be able to get is ADSL. Just not from us.

A change between these technologies requires an engineer and a physical swap of a jumper either in the cabinet and/or in the exchange.

The only change, that can be done by the provider, once the line is installed, is a test for the attenuation of the line and then set the profile to the maximum speed possible based on that data. Nothing else can be done.

I hope this explains the situation there.

Advertisement