Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Bias

• 19-02-2020 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

Ok

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

It's looks like an embarrassing attempt at aping the (ultimately successful) efforts of the UK media to smear Jeremy Corbyn as an 'anti-Semite'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Because blah blah blah....something something something ****.

I would love SF to get into government and to cut RTE funding completely, let them wallow and die. That would surely shut them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Welcome to the world where any comment against Israel is treated as offensive. It's nothing to do with SF on this one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

I'm not an SF person. I didn't vote SF. I will never vote SF.

But why is the following front page of the RTE website: https://www.rte.ie/

Jewish council condemns 'offensive comments' by Sinn Féin TD Réada Cronin

This does not deserve front page coverage. why is RTE so anti SF?

I do not pay my license fee to fund this sort of political bull****.

The page is fluid, it regularly gets updated several times a day and that happens to be a news worthy story on what is more than likely a slow news day

Chill out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Another poor innocent Sinn Féin thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Neither does Fr Ray but there ya go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No harm, but do you ever watch Prime Time and any of the other rte docs?

There has been loads of pieces about how badly the gov has been doing wrt housing, health crisis, gangland etc.

If you think rte is pro FG you are showing a bit of bias yourself.

NIMAN wrote: »
    No harm, but do you ever watch Prime Time and any of the other rte docs?

There has been loads of pieces about how badly the gov has been doing wrt housing, health crisis, gangland etc.

If you think rte is pro FG you are showing a bit of bias yourself.

I think they have been fair and balanced with all parties IMHO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Because RTE have a bit of cop on to know what the shinners are all about;)

Incidentally, that's the same Jewish Council that came to Kevin Myers' defence when he wrote an article essentially referring to Jews as money-grabbers. He's a long-standing defender of Israeli war crimes though, so they 'allow' him to be anti-Semitic.

Not sure who, apart from Israel, the Jewish Council represents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Perhaps if she wasnt spouting such tinfoil hat nonsense they wouldnt be in this place

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭sliabh 1956

Perception is everything Eoghan Harris would beg to differ

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

If you believe there’s something untoward at play then complain to the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland.

There isn’t though. SF are now playing county hurling and are subject to the same scrutiny as any other party. Should have picked better candidates tbh.

fritzelly wrote: »
    Neither does Fr Ray but there ya go

Or what Jennifer Zamperelli is wearing
    Or what some mother does to make her ironing more efficient
    Or does some story about Harry Styles
    Or Sharon Osbournes hair

RTE website is ridiculous. It is basically a tabloid.
    It's an embarrassment as a National Broadcaster website

I'm not getting into a debate about paying your license. I pay mine, and I get good value for money out of it generally.

The website is atrocious though
    I wish they rebranded it as rteteen.ie
    Ideally, they should have an independent news website, where they share news, not clickbait

Or what Jennifer Zamperelli is wearing
    Or what some mother does to make her ironing more efficient
    Or does some story about Harry Styles
    Or Sharon Osbournes hair

RTE website is ridiculous. It is basically a tabloid.
    It's an embarrassment as a National Broadcaster website

I'm not getting into a debate about paying your license. I pay mine, and I get good value for money out of it generally.

The website is atrocious though
    I wish they rebranded it as rteteen.ie
    Ideally, they should have an independent news website, where they share news, not clickbait

I thought their Election 20 section of the site was more than adequate. I'd tend to agree in general it's not great

If you believe there’s something untoward at play then complain to the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland.

There isn’t though. SF are now playing county hurling and are subject to the same scrutiny as any other party. Should have picked better candidates tbh.

100%

With the exception of ML, O'broinn, Pearse and Carthy and maybe Cullinane/O'Reilly the rest look well out of their depth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Acosta

Or what Jennifer Zamperelli is wearing.....

I stupidly went on that site yesterday and saw that they're now referring to her as Jen Z. Sweet jesus..

Acosta wrote: »
    I stupidly went on that site yesterday and saw that they're now referring to her as Jen Z. Sweet jesus..

She turned in to a fcuking eejit as soon as she changed her name. I actually fancied the hole off her as Jennifer Maguire, can't even look at her now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Sinn Fein have never forgotten Section 31.

RTE are terrified of the thought of Sinn Fein reaching the controls of state power. Because if they do RTE will be resumed to its actual profession of being a state broadcaster and not a cash cow machine for ordinary people to get paid half a million a year to talk into a microphone about what story is in the newspapers on a particular day.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Everyone is biased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Acosta

She turned in to a fcuking eejit as soon as she changed her name. I actually fancied the hole off her as Jennifer Maguire, can't even look at her now

As we're now into the third decade of the 21st century I do find it extremely odd that a lot of women still change their name when they get married.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

buried wrote: »
    Sinn Fein have never forgotten Section 31.

RTE are terrified of the thought of Sinn Fein reaching the controls of state power. Because if they do RTE will be resumed to its actual profession of being a state broadcaster and not a cash cow machine for ordinary people to get paid half a million a year to talk into a microphone about what story is in the newspapers on a particular day.

I'm sure that SF world love nothing more than turn RTE into the TV version of an phoblact.

They definitely don't like that their wayward TDs are in the spotlight. And it's going to get worse when they start getting shown up for not delivering their promises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

RTE are now "anti-SF?". Are you telling me if a FF/FG/Labour TD had spouted anti-semite crap along with a huge amount of insane anti-jewish conspiracy theories, that RTE wouldn't report that as well?

For the first time ever, RTE are actually giving Sinn Fein TDs the same scrutiny they have always given the "normal" parties.

If you are now discovering the SF TD's are an absolute disgrace, that has nothing to do with RTE being biased, and more to do with SF.

P.S. Sinn Fein, as a party, are anti-semite. That was never a secret - it's kind of their policy! So not sure why anybody is surprised by this cnut's abusive tweets.

I'm sure that SF world love nothing more than turn RTE into the TV version of an phoblact.

They definitely don't like that their wayward TDs are in the spotlight. And it's going to get worse when they start getting shown up for not delivering their promises.

But sure every political party doesn't like it when their members go rouge and start making a show of themselves.

Sinn Fein won't be able, or probably even care about trying to turn RTE into a version of their own branch of television propaganda. They know full well the vast majority of the voters they are trying and are appealing to, neither have the time, or even have the need to bother to watch the likes of RTE's output.

They'll turn it into what TG4 has been doing since its inception and in all honesty, it would be no harm.

Only harm is to the parasite nobodies in RTE claiming ridiculous wages.

dotsman wrote: »
    P.S. Sinn Fein, as a party, are anti-semite. That was never a secret - it's kind of their policy!

List their anti-Semite (sic) policies...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I would love SF to get into government and to cut RTE funding completely, let them wallow and die. That would surely shut them up.

If SF promises us this, they will have an overall majority after the next election.

Go easy on the tinfoil, it will have to last until George Soros takes over the world.
    List their anti-Semite (sic) policies...

Are you telling me you are not aware of the whole pro-palestine, anti-isreal stance of Sinn Fein? Are you serious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Are you telling me you are not aware of the whole pro-palestine, anti-isreal stance of Sinn Fein? Are you serious?

Being critical of Israeli policies is not anti-Semitism.

There's plenty of Jewish people throughout the globe who are against the policies of the current state of Isreal. Are they anti-semetic too?

• Advertisement

Tony EH wrote: »

Shhhhhhhh...you'll cause his head to explode with the cognitive dissonance.

Are you telling me that you think criticism of Israel and anti-Semitism are the same thing?

Actually, completely siding with any one side in the Isreali/Palestine conflict is very much anti-something!

Being critical of Isreali policy is fine. In fact, being critical of any policy is fine. But when one is blatantly anti-Israeli and has collaborated with terrorist organisations who specifically want to ethnically cleanse areas of jews, and when your TD's spout anti-jewish conspiracies, one cannot hide behind "being critical of Israeli policies is not antisemitism".

The far-left has a long and deep history of antisemitism.
    The nationalist terrorism in Ireland has a long and deep history of antisemitism.

You might want to read up on unbiased sources of our own history if you want to get a better understanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

But sure every political party doesn't like it when their members go rouge and start making a show of themselves.
    That is Mary Lou.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

I have to laugh at the absolute naivety of people who voted for Sinn Fein actually believing the horse manure that was being peddled. Yeah, sure they're going to deliver loads of cheap houses and loads of Social Housing, hire thousands of nurses, restore the full rate of Social Welfare for younger claimants blah blah blah. You'd have to be a complete numpty to have bought into that. I can't wait to see them fail to deliver on anything at all, if it wasn't for the annual payment from Westminster Northern Ireland would be massively in debt. People who voted for them probably expect to get a free baby unicorn to go with the Council house, Dole increase etc etc. :D

Actually, completely siding with any one side in the Isreali/Palestine conflict is very much anti-something!

Being critical of Isreali policy is fine. In fact, being critical of any policy is fine. But when one is blatantly anti-Israeli and has collaborated with terrorist organisations who specifically want to ethnically cleanse areas of jews, and when your TD's spout anti-jewish conspiracies, one cannot hide behind "being critical of Israeli policies is not antisemitism".

The far-left has a long and deep history of antisemitism.
    The nationalist terrorism in Ireland has a long and deep history of antisemitism.

You might want to read up on unbiased sources of our own history if you want to get a better understanding.

Ahem, I'll repeat, being critical of Israeli policies is not anti-Semitism.

And it never will, no matter how much you wish for it. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

It's looks like an embarrassing attempt at aping the (ultimately successful) efforts of the UK media to smear Jeremy Corbyn as an 'anti-Semite'.

Are you from Kildare North by any chance?

What about when you refer to employees of the Israeli embassy as monkeys ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

They "smeared" Labour, rightly, as a party riven with Anti-Semitism that Corbyn failed to address.

Not that he himself was a raving Anti-Semite.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Pro Palestine is a bad thing? Jesus wept

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭mulbot

jmayo wrote: »
    Are you from Kildare North by any chance?

What about when you refer to employees of the Israeli embassy as monkeys ?

How is comparing a person to a monkey being anti semitic?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

So fine Gael has a minister that has had a case against her constitutant quashed and it's barely been mentioned by rte. Do you thing this is fair? A minister interference in the judicial process?

• Advertisement

I have to laugh at the absolute naivety of people who voted for Sinn Fein actually believing the horse manure that was being peddled. Yeah, sure they're going to deliver loads of cheap houses and loads of Social Housing, hire thousands of nurses, restore the full rate of Social Welfare for younger claimants blah blah blah. You'd have to be a complete numpty to have bought into that. I can't wait to see them fail to deliver on anything at all, if it wasn't for the annual payment from Westminster Northern Ireland would be massively in debt. People who voted for them probably expect to get a free baby unicorn to go with the Council house, Dole increase etc etc. :D

If SF can do something about the housing aspect, which is very attainable and can be done, they could be in power for a long long time. This country was able to build houses for people when the state had literally nothing in the way of capital or infrastructure in the 40's & 50's for example, and the two parties who did that program of state sponsored housing builds were FF & FG. This had a lot to do with these two parties being so popular up until the 2000's. People voted for these parties because they were able to offer state housing, actually provided it for peoples parents, grandparents and people loved them for it. All in a time when there was literally no money. This is what FF & FG have forgotten. Their own past. Their own responsibility to the electorate in a Republic. If Sinn Fein do what FF/FG did in the past, do it for a new generation coming up, they could be in power for decades. And if that happens, well then the current milieu in RTE are well and truly f**ked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

If SF can do something about the housing aspect, which is very attainable and can be done, they could be in power for a long long time. This country was able to build houses for people when the state had literally nothing in the way of capital or infrastructure in the 40's & 50's for example, and the two parties who did that program of state sponsored housing builds were FF & FG. This had a lot to do with these two parties being so popular up until the 2000's. People voted for these parties because they were able to offer state housing, actually provided it for peoples parents, grandparents and people loved them for it. All in a time when there was literally no money. This is what FF & FG have forgotten. Their own past. Their own responsibility to the electorate in a Republic. If Sinn Fein do what FF/FG did in the past, do it for a new generation coming up, they could be in power for decades. And if that happens, well then the current milieu in RTE are well and truly f**ked.

Where will all the money for these houses come from?

Where will all the money for these houses come from?

Where it always came from, me and you. Better than the current state of things where one hospital in Dublin spirals in costs up to, what is it now 30+million? And things like printers for Leinster house that cost up to 2 million that they cant even get in the door. Our tax money is being abused in all sorts of realms, abuse that is causing harm to our very state. Better it goes to things that bring back stability, such as housing for the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

It's taken you this long to know who runs the MSM? Of course they're going to keep this type of crap being main news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Quit the conspiracy thinking.

It also happened FF: https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/tweets-emerge-of-ff-senator-lorraine-clifford-lee-repeatedly-using-offensive-term-pikey-38685870.html

And FG. : FG candidate apologises over asylum seeker comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

They "smeared" Labour, rightly, as a party riven with Anti-Semitism that Corbyn failed to address.

Not that he himself was a raving Anti-Semite.
    Corbyn not an Anti-Semite?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3561337/As-Labour-anti-Semitism-row-deepens-revealed-Jeremy-Corbyn-s-pet-charity-funded-Palestinian-festival-hate-children-dressed-terrorists-acted-murdering-Jews.html

That's just one article there are many articles out there, although you won't find them in the Guardian, the Times, Independent etc. The facts remain the same regardless of what the name of the newspaper is. Corbyn is a notorious Anti-Semite. Don't even get me started on that SF fookwit who flew the Palestinian flag over government buildings. Or Katherine Zappone, our former minister for Children greeting the son of the head of the Muslim Brotherhood in Europe at Dublin airport with shouts of 'Alluh Ahkbar''

Corbyn not an Anti-Semite?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3561337/As-Labour-anti-Semitism-row-deepens-revealed-Jeremy-Corbyn-s-pet-charity-funded-Palestinian-festival-hate-children-dressed-terrorists-acted-murdering-Jews.html

That's just one article there are many articles out there, although you won't find them in the Guardian, the Times, Independent etc. The facts remain the same regardless of what the name of the newspaper is. Corbyn is a notorious Anti-Semite. Don't even get me started on that SF fookwit who flew the Palestinian flag over government buildings. Or Katherine Zappone, our former minister for Children greeting the son of the head of the Muslim Brotherhood in Europe at Dublin airport with shouts of 'Alluh Ahkbar''

Corbyn has spent years fighting against racism of all kinds. Including anti Semitism.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭patsy mulcaghy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

RTE hates Conservatives but SF simply aren't bourgeois left enough for montrose

They used to pull for Labour but now it's the greens and the soc dems

Are you telling me that you think criticism of Israel and anti-Semitism are the same thing?

No, and I never said anything of the sort.
    smurgen wrote: »
    Pro Palestine is a bad thing? Jesus wept

Being "pro-Palestine and anti-Israel" in the whole context of the brutally violent conflict is a very bad thing.
    Ahem, I'll repeat, being critical of Israeli policies is not anti-Semitism.

And it never will, no matter how much you wish for it. :D
    But that is not what I said. I am happy to agree that being critical of a policy is not antisemitism, but being anti-Israel while supporting violent anti-jewish terrorists is.

I, myself, am critical of many Israeli policies. But I am not anti-Israeli, nor antisemitic. I am equally critical of many Palestinian policies and abhor the violence committed by both sides.

• Advertisement
Advertisement