Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Bias

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

SF's political opponents are going to make hay while they can of bringing up every SF verbal gaffe or brain fart, in order to soften their cough.

RTE follows it's nose for where the maximum aggro and drama can be. At the moment it's the stupid stuff some SF'ers have said. I've no doubt that FG and FF are in the ears of political correspondents around Leinster House as we speak.

There was a bull necked and moneyed looking ur-FG TD - Neale Richmond - on the news earlier, speaking very self-righteously about today's controversy. The most interesting part of his spiel was when he said "when is it going to end?"
    That's the real narrative. There's going to be an endless stream of stupid stuff SF'ers have said down to the years that's now going to suddenly find it's way into the light at moments of maximum embarrassment.

Well, potential embarrassment. SF are pretty shameless. But they are facing more scrutiny - and rightly so - but we shouldn't be naive about where that scrutiny is coming from.

RTE, while perhaps not being cheerleaders for FG/FF definitely have a working relationship with them. They are a bit warier of SF.

RTE is one thing. The Irish Times is another. I have to laugh at the absolute ejits that come on here and claim that the times is "far left" and other such horseshyte. The election has really shown that baloney up. Every day now the paper is full of anti SF articles, that range from the justifiably skeptical to the downright melodramatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

Tony EH wrote: »
    Corbyn has spent years fighting against racism of all kinds. Including anti Semitism.
    :eek: Nobody could seriously believe that. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ShylockWept

Okay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

:eek: Nobody could seriously believe that. :D

Then you don't know what you're talking about. Corbyn was even on anti nazi marches going back as far as the 70's.

Arghus wrote: »
    I have to laugh at the absolute ejits that come on here and claim that the times is "far left" and other such horseshyte.

"Far Left" is just a term some use for things I don't like. It can be expanded and contracted as they see fit. But never fails to always sound utterly ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Because blah blah blah....something something something ****.

I would love SF to get into government and to cut RTE funding completely, let them wallow and die. That would surely shut them up.

That's a sign of a civil society alright.

Sinn Fein wanted, or thought they wanted, the limelight of government but it seems their supporters at least aren't willing to accept the spotlight that comes with the role. They'd like to pretend it doesn't exists and you get such nonsene like you in threads like this playing the victim card.

What extreme blinkers you all have, and extremely short memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

RTE should not show such bias - they should be balanced.

Where's the bias, exactly? How is this any different from the story they ran last year about Fianna Fáil senator Lorraine Clifford-Lee's Tweets that were deemed offensive to Travellers?

Where's the bias, exactly? How is this any different from the story they ran last year about Fianna Fáil senator Lorraine Clifford-Lee's Tweets that were deemed offensive to Travellers?

You don't even have to go back that far, Verona Murphy more recently, running for the government party at the time

Bias for these pathetic people is pretty much any story critical of SF or members of SF. It's a bit North Korea, and won't be long before "fake news" creeps into regular usage for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

You now have the party that considers Cuba some kind of normal country in a powerful position. It would be hilarious if the consequences weren't so serious.
    https://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/42586

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

But my point is that the story, which is now second in line-up is fake news

Wait a second - "fake news"???

How is it fake news? Are you suggesting RTE made the story up? Or is it that they have twisted the facts to make it appear as something very different to what it is?

How the hell is it "fake news"?

It is not news...it has happened in far past...and the focus should be on something more pressing

You think the media shouldn't focus on Sinn Fein's past? :pac:

Good luck with that one.

People are really not concerned about the tweets of somebody months ago before they were elected. They care about govt formation and policy issues

It is not news...it has happened in far past...and the focus should be on something more pressing

You're the official spokespersons for "the people", North Korea like?

Of you have such poor judgement you don't care about the calibre of, or lack thereof, the people representing you?

The make up of our government is at utmost a pressing matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Because blah blah blah....something something something ****.

I would love SF to get into government and to cut RTE funding completely, let them wallow and die. That would surely shut them up.

I look forward to Mary Lou doing a nine hour address to the nation every week on SFTV. And taking questions from the grateful proletariat on how well everything is going in the country.

On a serious note, SF politicians are actually making noises about closing down critical commentary in the media. It could happen very quickly, especially if they are in power with some of the extreme Left.

I look forward to Mary Lou doing a nine hour address to the nation every week on SFTV. And taking questions from the grateful proletariat on how well everything is going in the country.

On a serious note, SF politicians are actually making noises about closing down critical commentary in the media. It could happen very quickly, especially if they are in power with some of the extreme Left.

Joe Duffy is first in their sights, genuinely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

You think the media shouldn't focus on Sinn Fein's past? :pac:

Good luck with that one.

They might have to worry when people focus on the present, it's the digital age and the internet is forever. Every thing that is said/tweeted will now be available as a permanent record. I foresee a lot of turd polishing in the future.

• Advertisement

Ok, answer me this...please, anyone

How did they find the tweets?

Twitter is the first place I'd have looked.

And why? These people are TDs, you obviously think what people think should be off limits for SF, or you chose to ignore it's not limited to them.

SF TDs need to own their very public **** and not blame anyone else for it, nor should their supporters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

People are really not concerned about the tweets of somebody months ago before they were elected. They care about govt formation and policy issues

People are not concerned? Have you spoken to everybody to check if you are allowed speak for them?

I, for one, care. And any intelligent person who cares about this country cares. The majority of people don't want stupid, hate-filled cnuts representing us, or making decisions on our behalf, especially ones that can have a profound impact our lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Rte with all the outrageous pay, didnt want to be hit with the extra few percent income tax for high earners, likely explains it. FFG and RTE have each others backs. Sure margaret cash and erica fleming are RTE sweethearts. Hard to believe that Lisa Smith, hasnt been their latest love interest! Ryan tubridy will be dying to get her on, give the usual suspects we seen repeatedly on the late, late, a week off!

The rte license fee should be abolished! A scandal having to pay for their biased bull**** and gold plated pay, perks and pensions! If RTE had held our pathetic politicians to account, things might be a little better...

Their idiotic analysis, like with the housing crisis, oh lets get eoghan murphy the sacrificial lamb in! Why dont they get the real perpetrators in ? Nimbies, pat kenny can appear, the dublin councils, trying to block as much as possible, since the dawn of time? Get them in...

That guy above me has no eyes or ears at all, never mind just being blinkered., and the one before him.

This is SFs **** that they willinginly made public, nobody is throwing it at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

So you care about the tweets of one TD over 5 years ago.

I taken serious exception to this post. I opened by saying I do not support SF, but I respect those who vote for them.

And so far, they are the only main party that is making serious about government.

I think it is despicable that RTE representing the establishment is throwing dirt at a political party

dont worry, if anything , it has won SF more popularity!

• Advertisement

I taken serious exception to this post. I opened by saying I do not support SF, but I respect those who vote for them.

And so far, they are the only main party that is making serious about government.

I think it is despicable that RTE representing the establishment is throwing dirt at a political party

You are not a supporter but you have bought into their propaganda. They will sit on their hands for three years like they did in the North, if they think it will get them more votes.

Your local soccer or GAA club may loan you more whitewash you're using up all yours so quickly.

The ideologies of a potential government party are entirely relevant. They don't get reset the day after election.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 231 ✭✭Martin Lanigan

Lots of users who aren’t SF voters or supporters seem to be going out of their way to defend SF candidates. Very strange behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Maurice Cohen of the Jewish council. Tell Israel what to do Maurice, tell them to stop killing Palestinians with tanks. Worried about words when your actions are those of a complete scumbag. Who the **** are you to tell anyone else what to do. If you don't like it here I'm sure Israel will provide an illegal settlement for you and your fellow chosen people.

It a matter of natural justice...

I want to know who dug up those tweets...nobody seems to answer this...I wonder why...

The answer I suspect is less than satisfactory for all concerned

So you are more concerned with who identified the wrongdoing rather than who committed the wrongdoing?

Yes, as a matter of fact

Hilarious.

Ok, answer me this...please, anyone

How did they find the tweets?

Ok, if they were tweeted today I understand the outrage, but it is long ago

So, who dug them up and most importantly why?

Sinn Fein managed to get an oddball collection of virtually unknown first-time TDs elected to the Dail.

Naturally, journalists are now investigating the background of these unknowns, and highlighting issues, as with Violet-Anne Wynne and others.

The days of shouting "Up the Ra" and tweeting anti-Semitic remarks and assuming nobody would notice or care are over for Sinn Fein. For as long as they remain the country's largest party, this stuff is going to be front-page news.

Welcome to the big leagues.

I want to know who dug up those tweets...nobody seems to answer this...I wonder why...

Whistle blowers are entitled to have their identity protected.

My question is how were tweets between 2012 and 2015 found now and at this point?

Don't you see that somebody in RTE searched for dirt. They have an agenda

Honestly, Ivan Yates is right - it is the snowflake, avocado toast generation

How do we know it was RTE? Could have been somebody else doing the searching and sending the tweets to RTE.

- Hey guys, here's a bunch of new TDs, some couldn't even get elected to their local councils.

- What do we know about them?

- **** all. How can we know what their political and societal stances are?

- Well, first and most obvious port of call is the horses mouth, check their social media accounts.

- Balls to that, that's too easy and straightforward, leave it to transition year student.

[SF supporter who's not a SF support comes screaming into the room shouting conspiracy, bias, ban the free press]

- FFS, pints to get away from this mad ****er?

- Defo. Get the young transition year student to clean up that lads dribbles when he's finished ranting.

• Advertisement

Most of the snowflakes indignated about the tweet don't even know what she tweeted...

That is what I find remarkable...you don't know...and yet you judge

You know you've reached the bottom of the barrel when you resort to reverting to calling people snowflakes.

And without seeing your outstanding irony given how so riled up you are that a TDs own words are simply restated.

Most of the snowflakes indignated about the tweet don't even know what she tweeted...

The report I heard was another SF TD saying she was wrong to publish what she did. You know the full story. Was she right to publish what she did?

In addition, that RTE article didn't elaborate either.

But, all you have to do is shout "anti Semite" these days and the dogs come running.

Yeah, and interesting they downgraded the story after my post....

hmmm, I wonder...

Happy to defend anti-semites. You lads really know which battles to fight.

Yeah, and interesting they downgraded the story after my post....

hmmm, I wonder...

Hahahaha. Yeah,they've realised your on to them. Better get to Donnybrook before all the hard drives are destroyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

100%

With the exception of ML, O'broinn, Pearse and Carthy and maybe Cullinane/O'Reilly the rest look well out of their depth

I'll take your bid and raise you Neale Richmond, an embarrassment to vi.large idiots everywhere

Would you be an anti-Semite yourself, Shylock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Happy to defend anti-semites. You lads really know which battles to fight.

Bernie Sanders is currently being labelled anti-semite by some conservatives in the States. Sanders is Jewish.

• Advertisement

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Bernie Sanders is currently being labelled anti-semite by some conservatives in the States. Sanders is Jewish.

Did he also claim Jewish bankers were the power behind Hitler?

Hurrache wrote: »
    Your local soccer or GAA club may loan you more whitewash you're using up all yours so quickly.

The ideologies of a potential government party are entirely relevant. They don't get reset the day after election.

How would you react to f a TD ( now retired)who made representation to the Australian Embassey to get a work visa for someone who was convicted but not jailed of death by dangerous driving.?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

Golly, when are we getting our free houses, my neighbour's a millionaire, shouldn't he pay for my house?

rossie1977 wrote: »

Sure that little thing won't get in the way at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ShylockWept

Jonybgud wrote: »
    Golly, when are we getting our free houses, my neighbour's a millionaire, shouldn't he pay for my house?

If you live beside a millionaire, then it is unlikely you need him to buy you a house?

RTE worried about The licence fee, letting Paul Williams on to rant BS should be good enough reason to pull all their funding

• Advertisement

It's too late to undo the Holocaust, but some of these TD's would probably deny it happened. What worries me more is the future, where they will have influence in scientific matters like fluoridation and vaccines. But why is she apologising for being anti fluoride, when her party colleague tried to legislate to have it banned?

New SF TD apologises for fluoridation tweets and linking Israel to Nazism

https://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/26629

It's too late to undo the Holocaust, but some of these TD's would probably deny it happened. What worries me more is the future, where they will have influence in scientific matters like fluoridation and vaccines. But why is she apologising for being anti fluoride, when her party colleague tried to legislate to have it banned?

New SF TD apologises for fluoridation tweets and linking Israel to Nazism

https://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/26629

Must have been in the same tweet

How would you react to f a TD ( now retired)who made representation to the Australian Embassey to get a work visa for someone who was convicted but not jailed of death by dangerous driving.?

You think I actually have opinions on what TDs have done tempered by the party they're with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

There is no secret on who dug up the tweets, it was not RTE. These originally surfaced on gript.ie which I understand is one of John McGuirk's (who has an agenda against SF for sure) website.

The times then picked up on it yesterday and RTE today

Edit: some of the tweets are screenshot here - https://gript.ie/reada_cronin_controversy

McGuirk has an agenda against pretty much everyone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement