Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If the BBC scrap the licence fee for subscription model, are RTE..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Will the Irish government be compelled to do the same to RTE? Or are RTE too powerful an institution

[URL] https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/feb/16/no-10-launches-attack-on-bbc-as-licence-fee-comes-under-threat[/URL]

This is just Johnson wanting to threaten the BBC. He's already vetting which press are invited to Q&A's.
    Like most things in Ireland, RTE is a great idea. Elements take advantage and there's waste. It just needs streamlining and heads to roll were needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Why would the Irish government be compelled to ?

RTE are guaranteed the licence fees, they wouldn't survive commercially if they had to convince people to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

should absolutely be scrapped, most of those working there, are thieveing a living!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Idbatterim wrote: »
    should absolutely be scrapped, most of those working there, are thieveing a living!

Ray Darcy 400k a year. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Every single day of the week RTE send a camera crew's across the country to video team sport's players running around on a field training. Followed by some painfully banal interview where you hear sports cliche after sports cliche. Does the country really need to know who in some minor team is out on a sports injury and other such trivial banalities. And that's aside from the actual sports events coverage itself.

That is just one example of where RTE spend or is it waste tonnes of money. IMO one thing that should happen is Ireland is we should have a national independent sports channel, one that is broadcast on terrestrial TV which I feel cold be complexly financed by in-line advertising etc. So all that sports reporting would be completely offloaded from RTE and off the pressure on their finances.

I think RTE is also full of cr*p 'ordinary ppl' TV. Whether it's Operation Transformation or what have you. This type of broadcasting should be offloaded to independant TV, in the same way you get cr*p TV on the independant ITV, rather than the state funded BBC. Although the BBC are guilty of going trash-ish too.

RTE do current affairs, investigative programming fairly well. They should stick to that kind of thing and not try to be all things to all men. If this happened, if they cut their costs and variety of output, I wouldn't mind paying a licence fee that's about 1/2 of what it is now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

We pay €160/yr to fund the RTE, per household.
    The British household is paying £160/yr (€180) and have easily 12x the number of households, all paying more than we do.

It's easy to praise the BBC for its programming, its engineering and the quality of its output but they also have a substantially larger budget.

While I share the opinion that there's plenty of 'fat' in RTE that could be trimmed, duplication of efforts done well in the private sector and not enough investment in the right areas, comparing it to the BBC is apples and oranges.

Would RTE survive if it went subscription only? No. Should RTE stop trying to cater to the various corners of society? No. Should RTE give up sports broadcasting? No. Though I don't watch sports and as it happens I rarely watch much TV and RTE Player won't work on my network so I listen to the radio instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

While I share the opinion that there's plenty of 'fat' in RTE that could be trimmed, duplication of efforts done well in the private sector and not enough investment in the right areas, comparing it to the BBC is apples and oranges.

RTE and BBC are 'state broadcasters', so it's not a case of comparing apples and oranges, more oranges and tangerines.

Would RTE survive if it went subscription only? No. Should RTE stop trying to cater to the various corners of society? No. Should RTE give up sports broadcasting? No. Though I don't watch sports and as it happens I rarely watch much TV and RTE Player won't work on my network so I listen to the radio instead.

I wasn't suggesting RTE should completely desist from doing Sport - I am saying their incessant coverage of it should be massively curtailed.

I'm suggesting a way out of the suggested subscription model which I agree with you wouldn't work. Ppl are beginning to realize that Netflix doesn't have everything, that there is no one off sub that is going to give you everything you want to watch.

I read recently that Netfilx aren't doing well at all. I'm not surprised. Maybe ppl are getting over this 'binge-watching' phenomenon. I still think that independent broadcast TV has a role to play all financed by advertising alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭badabing106

We pay €160/yr to fund the RTE, per household.
    The British household is paying £160/yr (€180) and have easily 12x the number of households, all paying more than we do.

Don't forget that RTE gets most of its revenue from Advertising revenue, more money than they get from license fees. The BBC gets none

Tg4 has approx 30 full time staff, compared to 1000 plus in rte. TG4S budget must be miniscule compared to RTE, but there is more broadcasting and programme making talent on display, no ridiculous salaries and self promotion. RTE are divorced from reality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Why would the Irish government be compelled to ?

RTE are guaranteed the licence fees, they wouldn't survive commercially if they had to convince people to pay.

The propaganda is so transparent we are forced to pay for it.
    I never watch it unless I am stuck in a room with other people watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Don't forget that RTE gets most of its revenue from Advertising revenue, more money than they get from license fees. The BBC gets none

Tg4 has approx 30 full time staff, compared to 1000 plus in rte. TG4S budget must be miniscule compared to RTE, but there is more broadcasting and programme making talent on display, no ridiculous salaries and self promotion. RTE are divorced from reality
    TG4 is head and shoulders above RTE in terms of original programming and content.

Get rid of the ridiculous wages and the nepotism in RTE and we may start

to see some talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Ray Darcy 400k a year. :mad:

Tubbs just about justifies it but Darcy? How did that ever happen? For me he peaked with that Zig and Zag show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

RTE Player won't work on my network

fixed that for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Tubbs just about justifies it

WHAT?!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If the BBC make any move, RTE follow suit a year later.

Only they'll do it badly with crap presenters, and it won't be any good. And there'll be a bit about it on the Late Late Show.

Tubbs just about justifies it but Darcy? How did that ever happen? For me he peaked with that Zig and Zag show.

Tubs works a grand total of eight hours a week. He justifies his enormous salary in an alternative universe where Bertie didn't ruin a generation. Also known as cloud cuckoo land, or Marbella.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I suspect ending the BBC licence fee is as much a sop to Rupert Murdoch et al as some red meat for the Conservative right-wing. Don't think RTE has quite the same level of enemies in high places.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

AllForIt wrote: »
    That is just one example of where RTE spend or is it waste tonnes of money. IMO one thing that should happen is Ireland is we should have a national independent sports channel, one that is broadcast on terrestrial TV which I feel cold be complexly financed by in-line advertising etc. So all that sports reporting would be completely offloaded from RTE and off the pressure on their finances.

You just don't like sports it seems, sports reporting is part of every news outlet on tv and radio in every country. Why? because people like sports and they want to consume sports news.

Also what will this independent sports channel show that will make it a viable self sufficient channel?

Are they to go head to head with billion pound companies like Sky, BT and Virgin?

RTE all ready go head to head with billions of pounds worth of free to air broadcasts beamed in from the UK.

To put it in context BBCs online budget is more than RTEs entire budget.

If people really want a level playing field, Sky and BT need to be booted out of the sports market here and the billions of pounds worth of free content encrypted.

But that isn't going to happen.

RTE are badly in need of reform but lets not pretend they are comparable to giants like the BBC and Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I don't get why RTE is so rigid with its online content too. Their website doesn't work properly with a VPN, not sure if it works abroad, I haven't ever tried to access it whilst abroad. I can access much of the content with a decent VPN, but there are restrictions.
    The RTE player is far more concerned about making the content inaccessible to people outside Ireland, and to stop it from being downloaded, then they are on ensuring it actually works.
    Those restrictions probably add a lot of cost to their online presence, and are utterly useless and stop nothing.
    If anyone wants any RTE content it is easily got.
    IIRC, BBC had no issues with people viewing their iPlayer outside of the UK, but it left them open to complaints about the licence fees, and rightly so, so they put in an attempt at blocking outside viewers, but didn't seem to waste the money on the route RTE went (not sure if that's because it is worse, or not needed).
    Will BBC start showing adverts if they scrap the licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Suckit wrote: »
    Will BBC start showing adverts if they scrap the licence?
    Since UK TV advertising revenues are in long-term decline, I doubt that is a viable business model.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

I couldn't give a ****e what they do in the UK.

• Advertisement

PommieBast wrote: »
    Since UK TV advertising revenues are in long-term decline, I doubt that is a viable business model.

No they aren't.

They are stable and projected to experience a 10 year high this year.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/262710/television-advertising-revenue-in-the-uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The BBC is the best public service media outlet in the world by a large distance.

I've met several people from what were despotic countries on a highly restricted government censored media diet and got a window to how the world is via the BBC world service.

It's not perfect, but it's a very special organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

And just on advertising money. There has actually been a shift in the last few years back to traditional media platforms such as TV and radio, especially in large media markets like the UK. Large corporations with money to spend figured out that targeted internet advertising wasn't as effective as they once presumed.

AllForIt wrote: »
    Every single day of the week RTE send a camera crew's across the country to video team sport's players running around on a field training. Followed by some painfully banal interview where you hear sports cliche after sports cliche. Does the country really need to know who in some minor team is out on a sports injury and other such trivial banalities. And that's aside from the actual sports events coverage itself.

What annoys me more than that, is when they do live reporting from outside the Dail, the Labour Court or Four Courts, when really it not only brings nothing to the report, but inevitably a bus drives past mid way through the report, or some scumbag shouts at the camera.

The Dail is about a ten minute drive from Donnybrook. Is there really a need to send Ingrid Miley out in a van, with presumably a driver and a cameraman?

Yurt! wrote: »
    And just on advertising money. There has actually been a shift in the last few years back to traditional media platforms such as TV and radio, especially in large media markets like the UK. Large corporations with money to spend figured out that targeted internet advertising wasn't as effective as they once presumed.

A large portion of that advertising is being spent by the online tech giants.

Irony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I spend so much time watching BBC (especially 2 and 4), that I genuinely want part of my Irish Television tax to go to the BBC.
    Possibly 90% of it would be fair; with the remaining 10% going to TG4, Lyric FM, and the late night/very early morning (before 7 am) and weekend RTE Radio 1 shows. Between the BBC and my streaming services, there is very little need for RTE. Putting a price on the value/worth of RTE's services; I'd give it an estimate of about €5 per month.

I have not watched RTE news or any of their current affairs programming in years due to the blatant liberal bias. The way that they stack their audiences and how they conduct polls should be investigated ................ but not by the crack RTE Investigates team.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

there was a very valid point made by the man in the conservative party, that these people are being turned into stars and can then earn mad incomes otherways too. These RTE "celebrities" are worthless outside of RTE pretty much. Honestly, it should be abolished, have one state channel of news, current afairs, eco eye etc. More channels fine, but they need to wash their own face, same with radio etc. Guess what will happen ? we will still have the same faces and shows, just on far less money!

Kivaro wrote: »
    I have not watched RTE news or any of their current affairs programming in years due to the blatant liberal bias.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111707895&postcount=40

Years! 3 months ago, who is counting.
    When I saw this news item on RTE, I said to myself "fair play to her"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

The RTE player must have been working that day.
    Looks like 56 people agreed with that post; didn't know that. Thanks.

So this is what a stalker looks like.
    One of these days he will find a job and become part of real life again. It's much better than the virtual world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Will the Irish government be compelled to do the same to RTE? Or are RTE too powerful an institution

Why should they? Do we have to follow the British example in everything? No Irish political party nearly 'right wing' enough to contemplate such a step

Everybody knows if you turned the licence fee into a voluntary subscription, the number of people paying it would fall off a cliff, RTE would be forced to take a scythe to much of its 'public service' content, and you'd end up with something like Virgin Media...

Advertisement