Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If the BBC scrap the licence fee for subscription model, are RTE..

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Kivaro wrote: »
    The RTE player must have been working that day.
    Looks like 56 people agreed with that post; didn't know that. Thanks.

Or you were caught spoofing..

Weird you saw my post since you have gone out of your way several times to tell me I am on your ignore list.

I imagine your pending reply may be a hat trick.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I would have no problem paying for BBC4 and BBC Radio 4

If RTE was one TV channel and one radio station up to that standard there wouldn't be an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 15,129 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Why should they? Do we have to follow the British example in everything? No Irish political party nearly 'right wing' enough to contemplate such a step

Everybody knows if you turned the licence fee into a voluntary subscription, the number of people paying it would fall off a cliff, RTE would be forced to take a scythe to much of its 'public service' content, and you'd end up with something like Virgin Media...

We have a public service broadcaster with some problems.
    All we need to do is fix the problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I have not watched RTE news or any of their current affairs programming in years due to the blatant liberal bias. The way that they stack their audiences and how they conduct polls should be investigated ................ but not by the crack RTE Investigates team.

RTE don't conduct polls - they have market research companies conduct polls and then report upon them.

Usually conducted by Ipsos/MRBI on behalf of RTÉ.

As for bias - I find RTE pretty neutral overall - what bias am I missing?

Costs my household approx. €3 a week.

I listen to Morning Ireland, Drive Time every day they're on and Arena and John Creedon a couple of nights a week.

I also watch generally good news coverage, the weather and used to watch the 6 Nations when they had it....

My kids watch some RTE Junior and my wife listens to Lyric in the car.

I tune in on weekends for some politics.

I get all that for less than the price of a small latte in Starbucks. That is good value.

BTW I don't agree with or rate Tubridy, Darcy or many of their entertainment shows but that's how they earn their ad revenue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Costs my household approx. €3 a week.

I get all that for less than the price of a small latte in Starbucks. That is good value.

BTW I don't agree with or rate Tubridy, Darcy or many of their entertainment shows but that's how they earn their ad revenue.

RTE is carried on Sky Virgin Media and other pay TV providers who use paid access subscription.

It sounds like you think RTE is a bargain so I am sure if RTE went to a subscription model you would be happy to pay a bit more and that is fine I totally agree with personal choice.

I would nearly we willing to spend money to have it removed from my channel line up.:D

I am sure most of the nation is somewhere between our two extremes.

I bet most young people would spend money on Netflix long before giving a cent to RTE.

In work you always here people talking about this or that on Netflix never here them talking about The Late Late.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Will the Irish government be compelled to do the same to RTE? Or are RTE too powerful an institution

[URL] https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/feb/16/no-10-launches-attack-on-bbc-as-licence-fee-comes-under-threat[/URL]

Don't think the UK internal politics is relevant for here (and can't see it having an influence).

It is entirely about the Conservative party's utter hatred of the BBC ("We will whack it!" - quote from the article).

IMO they've defanged and dumbed down BBC news coverage during their rule, but it obviously isn't enough. The BBC still pumps out too much suspect "lefty" thought for their liking and unfairly eats into Murdochs' UK profits.

Damaging the BBC by cutting funding in this way (getting the public to effectively do it themselves so Conservative party can avoid blame as the BBC is still popular) is quite devious.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,129 ✭✭✭✭elperello

RTE don't conduct polls - they have market research companies conduct polls and then report upon them.

Pretty much any issue of public interest will result in accusations of bias against RTE or some other sector of "MSM.

Often in the one thread on here RTE will be condemned for being a hotbed of commies and supporting the status quo.

They are basically not racist enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I would have no problem paying for BBC4 and BBC Radio 4

If RTE was one TV channel and one radio station up to that standard there wouldn't be an issue

Well, there still would be because an issue for those who whinge about it as I think far fewer companies will pay to advertise on any trimmed down news, political/current affairs analysis and highbrow culture-vulture only version of RTE.

Therefore need for some licence fees or a broadcast tax or whatever you call it will remain despite RTE shrinking. It could even increase (as 45 % of RTE revenues are from advertising - https://www.rte.ie/annualreport/ ; see https://www.rte.ie/annualreport/pdfs/23_financial_review.pdf.

edit: reading further into that report I think the current licence fee level would just about cover RTE 1 and Radio 1 programming with no ads (financial review p31).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Yes, indeed they do. But it is the criteria that RTE puts forward for these polls that makes them questionable and the net of opinions is a very small one. Also look how RTE got the election results so wrong.
    There is obvious bias by RTE on many liberal social issues.
    In the past they stacked audiences with pro-Traveller ogranisations and supporters, which gave a skewed view of public support for issues surrounding Travellers.

Asylum seekers is another hot project for RTE. Watch reports where they interview locals about the direct provisions being forced on their communities. Why is the demographic of the people being interviewed almost always similar? Why do they not interview working people or people on the way to work early in the morning or coming home late at night?

RTE is as neutral as the North Korean news agency.

So RTE are not racist enough, therefore they are like North Korea.

You don't watch RTE, but the one time you did it just so happened to be a resounding success story about a Refugee, which you completely flipped into a negative.

I don't think the problem is with RTE.

But it is the criteria that RTE puts forward for these polls that makes them questionable and the net of opinions is a very small one. Also look how RTE got the election results so wrong.

Why do they not interview working people or people on the way to work early in the morning or coming home late at night?

What criteria do RTE put forward?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Yes, indeed they do. But it is the criteria that RTE puts forward for these polls that makes them questionable and the net of opinions is a very small one. Also look how RTE got the election results so wrong.

There is obvious bias by RTE on many liberal social issues.
    In the past they stacked audiences with pro-Traveller ogranisations and supporters, which gave a skewed view of public support for issues surrounding Travellers.

Asylum seekers is another hot project for RTE. Watch reports where they interview locals about the direct provisions being forced on their communities. Why is the demographic of the people being interviewed almost always similar? Why do they not interview working people or people on the way to work early in the morning or coming home late at night?

RTE is as neutral as the North Korean news agency.

once again, it's not the job of rte to be a propaganda machine for any specific group, racists, bigots, far right, far left, whatever. it's news and current affairs output is there to provide factual information and report on the news and goings on, and they do that. are they perfect? no, but anyone suggesting they are similar to the state service of north corea is seriously out of touch with reality.
    perhapse you need to just accept that your views are actually in a minority, some media outlets may be willing to give your views more coverage but that is because it benefits their business, it doesn't mean more people actually agree with you.
    if you want a propaganda machine that provides information to suit your views, plenty of youtube channels available.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭solidasarock

Cant wait for RTE to scrap the licence fee for a subscription

Then say subscription will be mandatory

Advertisement