Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A thread for all Things Retro Bowl

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,896 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Got the New England job, I had offer's from everybody. Things are bad there, it'll take me a couple of seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭Christy42

Yeah. Went to Arizona to get the NFC. Maybe should have racked up a bit more with the mighty Bengals. Went 14-2 and won the retro bowl. The key for me was getting in good coordinators to let my non star players contribute a bit more.

Right now Arizona is a disaster and the draft had little for them either. 100% team morale might be tough to get. Will probably take several very successful seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Got all of the offers after winning the bowl, turned them all down even the New England one which is all I'll leave for. Got myself a good player on OL, a decent, not great QB who can throw it down the field. Don't waste anything on kickers, I don't kick alot and I have 3 good defenders and added on my stud WR with another one from the draft this year so gonna change up my offence a bit. Was run heavy last season with a good RB but got a trade of a 1st rounder for him and I wasn't going to pay the money to keep him so...

Yeah, I'm addicted.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I've had seasons scuppered with suspiciously timed injuries to my QB, right before conference deciding games. Might be a decent idea to have a backup qb. Finally got a TE, which gives some better playcalling options. Would be nice to have the ability to change up some of the routes and such, even to change the RB's direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭L.S.F

Have only played through the free version a few times, the fact you can edit players names will get me to spend the euro on the full game :D

I'm pretty sure for full season is much more testing but only lost 2 games out of 3 or 4 run troughs. Mainly pass to a stud rookie WR and mostly go for 2 after a TD.

Excellent game which should keep me occupied for a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,896 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I won the Superbowl finally and with New England which makes it even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Myleftpeg

Thank you for introducing this fantastic game into my life. its made the commute to work enjoyable.

Currently on season 5 with my Jaguar's squad. Went 15-1 in most recent season only to lose the AFC championship game, didn't have the wages to bring back my star QB but have 2 decent wr so hopefully the rookie will carry me through. Offered a host of alternative jobs but staying till we get a title

Fantastic game

I really need to get a handle on my picks. Buffalo destroyed me in the Divisional. Bit annoying that you can only have on RB on your roster. It would be nice to have some more flexibility in shaping your offense.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Myleftpeg

eagle eye wrote: »
    Got the New England job, I had offer's from everybody. Things are bad there, it'll take me a couple of seasons.

BOOOOOO Patriots!! Even in computer games

I really need to get a handle on my picks. Buffalo destroyed me in the Divisional. Bit annoying that you can only have on RB on your roster. It would be nice to have some more flexibility in shaping your offense.

Yeah. I was expecting that but you can only have 2 wrs even though 3 are on the field.

Managed to win with Arizona at least. Want a 5* Offensive Coordinator to pop up so I can get that achievement. Not sure if I can hurry it along.

• Advertisement

L.S.F wrote: »
    Have only played through the free version a few times, the fact you can edit players names will get me to spend the euro on the full game :D

I'm pretty sure for full season is much more testing but only lost 2 games out of 3 or 4 run troughs. Mainly pass to a stud rookie WR and mostly go for 2 after a TD.

Excellent game which should keep me occupied for a while

Thought I'd breeze through my first full season after purchase but didn't expect my QB to go down with 3 games to go and Defeat to Seattle meant my Rams missed out on a playoff spot. 2 pick 6's in one game from my no-name back up QB!

Second season I lost in the Bowl final after bringing in a RB who ran the show. No offer first season and then got my dream move to the Jets after the final loss.

Had no decent players so drafted good inc. a QB and got a trade or two in. My rookie WR & RB are class but the QB doesn't throw as solid as experienced ones which is good as you have to build up their XP to get better.

Currently in the hunt for playoffs this season but salary cap might be an issue next season.

I started off as "Alex Fergie" and progressing through United player squads from the premier league days. Cantona current QB with York & Cole my WR duo and Paul Scholes at RB. Vidic transferred in from New England and is a 5 star DB :D

Has anyone else had it where the opposition will manage to get the ball again after they score? Presumably from a fumble recovery or such, I usually miss it because I'm tapping through the defense portion.

Has anyone else had it where the opposition will manage to get the ball again after they score? Presumably from a fumble recovery or such, I usually miss it because I'm tapping through the defense portion.

Not half time or anything and they receive a second half kick off? (Even if they scored with a few seconds left the return would take up that time)

Christy42 wrote: »
    Not half time or anything and they receive a second half kick off? (Even if they scored with a few seconds left the return would take up that time)

Yea, I've had the opposition get back to back possession without having a chance on offense

Yea, I've had the opposition get back to back possession without having a chance on offense

They seem pretty active on Twitter. Try reporting it there and they should get around to at least looking at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

That's very strange. Hasn't happened to me at any point and I'm now on year 15.

Won my 5th Retro Bowl earlier.

The success of the last 3 seasons has really made me ended up with the dregs in the draft, even though I was banking 1st round picks from trades to help me - is this what it's like to be a Pats fan?- and I have to keep blowing up each team because the QB and WR1 need to be paid at the end of their contracts and I refuse to pay them. Only had 9 "key players" last season as a result of this.

I have 13m in cap space now so that should leave me in good stead for next season.

Still has that "just one more game buzz for me" which I was expecting to have waned by now. Still need to get me a 16-0 season and then I may move from Denver. Maybe. Washington haven't made the play-offs since I left them. :)

504431.jpg

One thing that bothered me is players costs in the draft not going down, depending on the round. A player who slips from the first, into the second costs the same.

It would also be nice to get some indication of what positions will be available in the draft. I know you can resign and trade later, but those damn QB contracts lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I find the game a little bit easy, I don't have any star QB or anything I find mostly you just need a good RB and can run him or use him as a catcher out of the backfield most of the time. I invest my money in my defence now. Won 4 bowls so far, moved to New England after 3 with Cincinnati. Will stay here for a long time I'd imagine. My current star players, and well under the cap are a RB, 2 OL men, a DL, LB and 2 DBs

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I have done this a bit weirdly. After winning with Cincinnati I went to Arizona. Took 2 seasons to rebuild. Then went 12-4,9-7,12-4,14-2 and only lost in the play offs in the 14-2 season! Still there. I wouldn't mind moving but would like to hit the 100% team morale. Got to 98% as a high point.

I improved my defense as part of the draft which let me down last season. Had too many receivers (including a very useful RB that was just an extra receiver). Coaches seem to make a massive difference as well.

• Advertisement

I have done this a bit weirdly. After winning with Cincinnati I went to Arizona. Took 2 seasons to rebuild. Then went 12-4,9-7,12-4,14-2 and only lost in the play offs in the 14-2 season! Still there. I wouldn't mind moving but would like to hit the 100% team morale. Got to 98% as a high point.

I improved my defense as part of the draft which let me down last season. Had too many receivers (including a very useful RB that was just an extra receiver). Coaches seem to make a massive difference as well.

You think so? What difference have you noticed? I haven't invested in them at all yet.

You think so? What difference have you noticed? I haven't invested in them at all yet.

Big difference to defense. My non star receivers get open occasionally which helps when the rest get double covered.

Though this season even my better players are having a load of drops and little time getting open.

I can't beat Kansas City!

They've topped my in the AFC game twice two seasons running and at 13-0 they beat me to ruin my perfect regular season award.

Does home advantage make any difference in the dynamics? I've been #1 seed on both occasions and yet I'm @ KC.

Had to let mt rookie QB go but held onto my 2 WR's and RB, paid my DB big bucks but he is 5* and have another on 4* on final year of rookie deal. With just the norm QB I find you have to grind out a bit more but with 2 good WR and a rookie TE you don't have to rely on big plays as much. Manged to fill last few mill of cap with a kicker and has come in good on a few occasions.

This game still has my full attention!

L.S.F wrote: »
    I can't beat Kansas City!

They've topped my in the AFC game twice two seasons running and at 13-0 they beat me to ruin my perfect regular season award.

Does home advantage make any difference in the dynamics? I've been #1 seed on both occasions and yet I'm @ KC.

Had to let mt rookie QB go but held onto my 2 WR's and RB, paid my DB big bucks but he is 5* and have another on 4* on final year of rookie deal. With just the norm QB I find you have to grind out a bit more but with 2 good WR and a rookie TE you don't have to rely on big plays as much. Manged to fill last few mill of cap with a kicker and has come in good on a few occasions.

This game still has my full attention!

the QB contracts get nuts after a few seasons. I had to let mine go when he wanted ~$55million

the QB contracts get nuts after a few seasons. I had to let mine go when he wanted ~$55million

I just dump them in the last season of their rookie contract before week 8 if they're worth a first rounder, and then try pick up someone in Free agency if I can afford it.
    I then dump them during the draft to get a pick, with decent potential. Has worked so far. Have a default QB this year though, and it's getting frustrating.

Keep drafting dirt because of the recent success. And have to dip into free agency. This has peaked now to the point I can't really afford anyone else.

I'm tempted to blow up the season now. Because next season will be even worse.

Hopefully getting better draft potential. Moved to the Jags after I got the 100% morale. Thought I was going to go 0-16 for a bit.

Thankfully I have righted the ship a little.

Still proudest moments for me is I have 2 QB rushing TDs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Hopefully getting better draft potential. Moved to the Jags after I got the 100% morale. Thought I was going to go 0-16 for a bit.

Thankfully I have righted the ship a little.

Still proudest moments for me is I have 2 QB rushing TDs!

Thats impressive. Mine hasn't ever broken the line if scrimmage!

I just dump them in the last season of their rookie contract before week 8 if they're worth a first rounder, and then try pick up someone in Free agency if I can afford it.
    I then dump them during the draft to get a pick, with decent potential. Has worked so far. Have a default QB this year though, and it's getting frustrating.

Keep drafting dirt because of the recent success. And have to dip into free agency. This has peaked now to the point I can't really afford anyone else.

I'm tempted to blow up the season now. Because next season will be even worse.

be nice if there was an option to simulate the season.

be nice if there was an option to simulate the season.

Maybe. I really want to play the D though more tbh.

---

Tanking a season is a personal hard sell. I'm just glad that I still have these things to think of and I can't assume I'll win all before me as seems to happen in other sports games when you get good or crack the sweet spots.

• Advertisement

Thats impressive. Mine hasn't ever broken the line if scrimmage!

Heh. Just when there are only a few players on one side of the line and I am 1/2 yards from the endzone. Doubt it is the most efficient play though.

Latest update has gotten rid of the wrestling when the ball is thrown but massively upped DB catching so I am throwing ints like never before. They seem to be working on audibles next. Will be somewhat dependent on QB experience according to their Twitter.

Advertisement