Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Uk channels in border region gone

• 19-02-2020 9:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭

*Disclaimer - I have not been to the affected TV yet to confirm personally

My mother contacted me to see if I knew what was up. She rescanned the saorview TV as per its instructions and she has now lost all of the UK channels.

The house is in a border that has gotten the UK channels for decades and this is the first time I've heard of it being an issue.

Does anyone know what this issue could potentially be?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭con747

kiddums wrote: »
    *Disclaimer - I have not been to the affected TV yet to confirm personally

My mother contacted me to see if I knew what was up. She rescanned the saorview TV as per its instructions and she has now lost all of the UK channels.

The house is in a border that has gotten the UK channels for decades and this is the first time I've heard of it being an issue.

Does anyone know what this issue could potentially be?

Have a read of this. https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/tv/northern-ireland-television-sets-need-16830533

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I did it here and all are fine. Did they scan all channels or just channel 42? 45 needs scanning too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

con747 wrote: »

Thanks, I'll check the aerial when I get there.

I am wondering if that was changed in September why this issue has only arisen in the past week or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Thanks, I'll check the aerial when I get there.

I am wondering if that was changed in September why this issue has only arisen in the past week or so.

It's a general retune finishing on 4th March.

http://www.nationalguild.ie/_fileupload/Documents/Retailer%20bulletin_A4_4.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

AFAIK only Com 7 and Com 8 on Freeview will change frequency on 4th March. All other muxes will remain unchanged. Com 7 is moving from C51 to C55 and Com 8 from C60 to C56 on Divis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

... I am wondering if that was changed in September why this issue has only arisen in the past week or so.

There's no reason retuning would have lost the channels. Maybe they'd failed just prior to the TV being retuned, without being noticed, due to an aerial fault or something.

Or the channel list just might have got messed up. As you say, some stuff to check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Given the recent weather I'd check the aerial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭magher

Maybe check channel 800+

Since the last few months my 10yr old Sony TV starting putting saorview on 1-20, and BBC et al on 800+, used to be the other way around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

magher wrote: »
    Maybe check channel 800+

Since the last few months my 10yr old Sony TV starting putting saorview on 1-20, and BBC et al on 800+, used to be the other way around.

I came across this problem on a older LG TV here in N. Ireland and this TV cannot rearrange channels so I did autotune with aerial disconnected to wipe all channels and then did manual tune on all muxes and Saorview channels reappeared in 800s with UK ones in proper positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭terencemc

Well my first day of self isolation has been helping my elderly uncle try and recover the English channels he lost about two weeks ago which fits into this thread. I've done the automatic retuning and it has failed to pick them up. It can get all the Irish ones. I also read the Belfast article but can't get it to retune. For a novice to saorview what do I need to do to get them ?

Cheers

• Advertisement

terencemc wrote: »
    Well my first day of self isolation has been helping my elderly uncle try and recover the English channels he lost about two weeks ago which fits into this thread. I've done the automatic retuning and it has failed to pick them up ...

There was no reason for UK channels to be lost 2 weeks ago: did someone try retuning the TV before yourself?

What part of the country are we talking here?

There was no reason for UK channels to be lost 2 weeks ago: did someone try retuning the TV before yourself?

What part of the country are we talking here?

My little brother tried a week or so ago. It's near kells/athboy. The Belfast article in the link below suggested a change to frequencies with the transition ending two weeks ago

My little brother tried a week or so ago. It's near kells/athboy. The Belfast article in the link below suggested a change to frequencies with the transition ending two weeks ago

The '2 weeks ago' part WRT UK channels, only concerned the likes of BBC4 HD & Ch.4 +1 HD, which already got a temporary move last September.

If the UK channels have all disappeared, & aren't just hiding down the list somewhere, then it's just poor signal.

Could be something obvious like a blown-down aerial.

The '2 weeks ago' part WRT UK channels, only concerned the likes of BBC4 HD & Ch.4 +1 HD, which already got a temporary move last September.

If the UK channels have all disappeared, & aren't just hiding down the list somewhere, then it's just poor signal.

Could be something obvious like a blown-down aerial.

Cheers yeah when I retuned the first time they were there albeit with no sound or image. I repeated the automatic installation and they were gone the second time so maybe his dish has moved a bit...assuming I can reach the dish how do you know which direction to point it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Cheers yeah when I retuned the first time they were there albeit with no sound or image. I repeated the automatic installation and they were gone the second time so maybe his dish has moved a bit...assuming I can reach the dish how do you know which direction to point it ?

Dish?

Are these terrestrial or satellite channels that are missing?

Dish?

Are these terrestrial or satellite channels that are missing?

BBC/CH4...Saorview box connected to a satellite dish. I checked my mams TV a few minutes ago which is close to my uncle and she has BBC etc etc so more than likely his dish I guess then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

BBC/CH4...Saorview box connected to a satellite dish. I checked my mams TV a few minutes ago which is close to my uncle and she has BBC etc etc so more than likely his dish I guess then.

A Saorview box will not connect to a satellite dish.
    It connects to an aerial for reception of terrestrial broadcast TV & radio.

BBC/Ch4 stations are available on satellite not Saorview ...... but might be available on UK Terrestrial broadcast (Freeview) through an aerial if location is within range of transmitter.

Specify the make and model of the box so readers know what you are dealing with.

Is there an aerial and a sat. dish in place?

If it's a satellite dish, then it's nothing to do with the thread topic here.

That's why I asked about location, with Kells/Athboy being just about in the area where terrestrial reception would have been used for UK reception, though I should have asked straight out if a dish was involved.

Anyhow, must be misalignment, damage, water ingress etc. If it's misalignment, it's probably the elevation that's gone off, & it will have to be pointed up or down a bit.

Also check that you're actually in the right channel list, & mightn't at one stage been looking at UK channels that might have been picked up by the terrestrial aerial but were then too weak to view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Hi All, Receiving from kilkeel with an ariel in my attic. Up till the last channel move had all the channels. After the re-tune lost the HD all the sd still working perfectly. Any suggestions on how to get the HD back?

Advertisement