Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scope Choice

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Sidewinder have stepped up their game in the last few years and with the introduction of the next generation of scopes including better glass and better clarity.

I have the Sidewinder in 8-32, 6-24 and 4-16. They range from 1st to 3rd generation and the difference between them in terms of clarity is both noticeable and much better than the first generation. Its reflected in the price increase.

I haven't owned a Vortex, but have shot a good few of them. The glass is definitely on par if not marginally better than the Sidewinder. Now different people will have different views with some saying the Vortex is much better and others, like myself, saying there is a slim if any difference between them. All i can say to Vortex is you won't be disappointed with it, but it is much more at home competing with Hawke, etc. than it is going up against Sightron, Nightforce, s&B, etc. They're in their own league.

Not a definitive decision if you were looking for one, but others will be along with a better comparison.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Rifter

Cass wrote: »
    Sidewinder have stepped up their game in the last few years and with the introduction of the next generation of scopes including better glass and better clarity.

I have the Sidewinder in 8-32, 6-24 and 4-16. They range from 1st to 3rd generation and the difference between them in terms of clarity is both noticeable and much better than the first generation. Its reflected in the price increase.

I haven't owned a Vortex, but have shot a good few of them. The glass is definitely on par if not marginally better than the Sidewinder. Now different people will have different views with some saying the Vortex is much better and others, like myself, saying there is a slim if any difference between them. All i can say to Vortex is you won't be disappointed with it, but it is much more at home competing with Hawke, etc. than it is going up against Sightron, Nightforce, s&B, etc. They're in their own league.

Not a definitive decision if you were looking for one, but others will be along with a better comparison.

Thanks for the input Cass

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I've used a Vortex (Viper 6.5-20 x 50) scope for about 18 months and was very happy with it, I bought it used and damaged it out hunting. I contacted Vortex, sent it to them and they replaced it with a brand new one. That kind of warranty is simply unbeatable and will help sell the Vortex if you ever tire of it.

While I was waiting for the Vortex replacement I bought a secondhand 4-16 x 50 Sidewinder to tide me over, it hasn't been taken off my main rifle since, I sold the new Vortex and bought another Sidewinder 4-16 x 50 for another rifle, maybe it's just my eyesight but I find the Hawke a far superior scope. It's brilliant in low light too.

I've actually stopped taking an interest in upgrading scopes since I started using a Sidewinder as I can't see how any scope could help me more.

Ideally you should look through both before buying if at all possible, I reckon some scopes just suit some people better than others.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭BillBen

I have two 4-16x50 sidewinders and love them, The only bad thing I can say about them is the crosshairs are very fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

BillBen wrote: »
    I have two 4-16x50 sidewinders and love them, The only bad thing I can say about them is the crosshairs are very fine.

I will second that. I had a sightron with fine crosshairs and it was a nightmare to hunt with especially at a low magnification. Ideal for precision range shooting but that's about it imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Rifter

Thanks for all the input so far lads. I do use tge .22 for a good bit of hunting, including lamping, so the fine crosshair on the Hawke could be a problem!!

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

I have had both Hawke Sidewinder and Vortex.

As someone mentioned above I think one mans perception of better glass may differ to the next (at mid range price points). Whilst I have found the I prefer the Vortex others differ.

I currently have 2 Vortex PST 6-24 MRAD FFP (and others) and plan to upgrade to the Gen 2 PST. The warranty is unbeatable too with vortex.

Advertisement