Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting in Germany

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

BanditLuke wrote: »
    There will never be an end to hatred im afraid.

Hate is not the problem I am full of hate.

I hate those that commit murder.
    I hate those that make excuses for murder.

Actions make people dead not feelings.
    Maybe if some more people had some strong feelings we could act to stop more of these attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Maybe if some more people had some strong feelings we could act to stop more of these attacks.

There will never be an end to hatred.

Reports now special forces have captured one suspect.

Apparently this comes just a week after the German police dismantled a far right terror cell operating in several German cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Wish these shaggers would have the common decency to use something other than guns to carry out these attacks. Saves legitimate gun owners the hassle of whatever rules will be brought in an effort to stop the attacks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Interesting comment.

There has been this media driven idea of late that racism is 'hate'.

I'd agree this is far too simplistic. Racism is more complex than an emotional feeling of hate. It's a complex soup of psychological feelings like especially feelings of superiority. I don't think real racists feel hate at all. They get their feelings of superiority by the very existence of ppl who they deem inferior. The ironic thing is they couldn't have their feelings of superiority without the existence of those they feel inferior around them.

I think it's a base human condition to feel 'better' than someone else. It's one of the things that I don't like about tribal team sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Whoever they are, they are arrogant scum. Taking someones life is beyond evil.

Some talk on Twitter of tensions in the city between Turkish and Russian drug gangs of recent.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Apparently this comes just a week after the German police dismantled a far right terror cell operating in several German cities.

That was my first thought too, a lot of them were arrested during the week. Perhaps some of the ones left behind decided to act before their plans were nipped in the bud too. Whatevers happened it's terrible.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

The suspect and another person have been found dead, according to the Guardian (which got the information from German news site Hessenschau)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Wish these shaggers would have the common decency to use something other than guns to carry out these attacks. Saves legitimate gun owners the hassle of whatever rules will be brought in an effort to stop the attacks

Livestock farmers won't be affected, no other public group that I can think of legitimately needs a gun. Legitimate owners shoot schools up every week in the US.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Hoboo wrote: »
    Livestock farmers won't be affected, no other public group that I can think of legitimately needs a gun. Legitimate owners shoot schools up every week in the US.

I've yet to see any serious negative consequences in this country for allowing people who wish to hunt game to own a gun.

Also it's not just livestock farmers that need a gun for pest control.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

News reports in Germany suggest some out and out crazy guy with warped world views on the far right master race end of the spectrum. He is apparently dead by his own hand and his mother was found dead with him, too. Bild and t-online saying - but yet officially unconfirmed - he left a letter admitting the crime and a youtube video going into nutbag territory. And yes that's only one week after German police dug out a far right terror cell.

Why do you mention far right?
    How many attacks have the far right carried out?

People murdered for the countless time yet again and you are more worried about offending those that have carried out every other attack like this.

Eh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Where are all the usual "open boarders, flood gate, look after our own'ers".

Perhaps they forgot to charge their phones..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Interesting the difference between last night's attempts at blanket coverage, and this morning's non-story if one was following this on English speaking news.

Last night, it was couched in language that encouraged many to believe it may be an Islamist attack.

This morning it's not been mentioned on BBC, Sky or Euronews as headline news.

All that's changed is the idealogy of the assailant and the perceived religion of the victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

The DM header is 'German Far-Right Massacre' in fairness

Why do you mention far right?
    How many attacks have the far right carried out?
    bfa1509 wrote: »
    People are very quick to demonize the right, as if the left can or have done no wrong....

Posted this elsewhere recently, but here's a list of USA attacks up to the time this comment was posted on Reddit early last year.
    Number of Right Wing Terrorist Attacks in the United States that claimed at least one or more lives.

1. 2018 Florida School Shooting

2. 2017 Las Vegas shooting [NOTE1]

3. 2017 Charlottsville Nazi Trump Rally

4. 2017 Portland Train Stabbing

5. 2017 Timothy Caughman Stabbing

6. 2017 Austins Bar and Grill Olathe, KS Shooting

7. 2015 Colorado Planned Parenthood Shooting

8. 2015 Lafayette Shooting

9. 2015 Charleston Church Shooting

10. 2015 Chapel Hill Shooting - Removed.

11. 2015 Florida Police Ambush

12. 2014 Austin, TX Mexican Consulate Shooting Removed

13. 2014 Las Vegas Police Ambush

14. 2014 Kansas Jewish Center Shooting

15. 2014 Blooming Grove Police Shooting

16. 2014 Forsyth County Courthouse Shooting

17. 2013 Los Angeles International Airport Shooting

18. 2013 Alabama Bunker Hostage Crisis Removed

19. 2012 Tri-State Killing Spree

20. 2012 St. John’s Parish Police Ambush

21. 2012 Sikh Temple Shooting

22. 2011 Pacific Northwest Killing Rampage

23. 2011 FEAR Militia

24. 2011 Tucson (Gabby Giffords) Shooting

25. 2010 West Memphis Police Shootings

26. 2010 Carlisle, PA Murder

27. 2010 Austin, TX Plane Attack Removed

28. 2010 Florida Sovereign Citizen Police Ambush

29. 2009 Ft. Walton, FL Shooting

30. 2009 Minutemen American Defense Hispanic Slayings

31. 2009 Okaloosa County, FL Police Gun Range Attacks

32. 2009 Brockton, MA Black Targeted Shooting Rampage

33. 2009 Pittsburgh Police Shootings

34. 2009 Holocaust Museum Shooting

35. 2009 George Tiller Assassination

36. 2008 Knoxville, TN Church Shooting

37. 2004 Tulsa OK, Bank Robbery

38. 2003 Abbeville, SC right-of-way Standoff

39. 2002 Massillon, OH anti-government Shootout

40. 2001 Anthrax Attacks - Removed

41. 2001 Dallas Anti-Arab Revenge Shootings

Before 9/11 but after the 1993 World Trade Center bombing.

1. 2000 Pittsburgh, PA Racially Motivated Spree Killing

2. 1999 Fort Worth, TX SYATP Shooting

3. 1999 Los Angeles Jewish Community Center Shooting

4. 1999 Midwest Murder Spree

5. 1999 Redding, CA Arson Attacks & Anti-Gay Murders

6. 1998 Barnett Slepian Assassination

7. 1998 Cortez, CO Watertruck Shootout

8. 1998 Birmingham, Alabama Planned Parenthood Bombing

9. 1997 Army of God Attacks

10. 1997 Aryan People’s Republic Six State Terror Wave

11. 1996 Spokane Phineas Priests Bombing Campaign

12. 1996 Atlanta Centennial Olympic Park Bombing

13. 1996 Jackson, MS Larry Shoemake Murder Spree

14. 1996 Aryan Republican Army FBI Shootout

15. 1995 Palo Verde Amtrak Derailment

16. 1995 Oklahoma City Bombing

17. 1994 Boston, MA Planned Parenthood Shooting

18. 1994 Lubrock, TX Nazi-Youth Race War Murders

19. 1994 John Britton Assassination

20. 1993 Pensacola, FL Women’s Medical Clinic Shooting

Total: 386 Dead

────────

Number of Left Wing Terrorist Attacks in the United States that claimed at least one or more lives.

None

Before 9/11 but after the 1993 World Trade Center bombing.

None

Total: 0 Dead

It's not a matter of keeping score, but let's not kid ourselves that 'the right' are angels or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭elli21

Just seen a clip of alleged terrorist Tobias Ratjhen youtube video.He really seems abit of that stereotypical nutter ,living in parents basement watching youtube conspiracy theroies all day.. tragic loss of lifes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

banie01 wrote: »
    Interesting the difference between last night's attempts at blanket coverage, and this morning's non-story if one was following this on English speaking news.

Last night, it was couched in language that encouraged many to believe it may be an Islamist attack.

All that's changed is the idealogy of the assailant and the perceived religion of the victims.

It's the main story on the BBC and the guardian ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Anyway disgusting attack and cowardly, victims not given any chance to defend themselves.

Perpetrator is utter scum.

At least society will treat this attack as it should be - with anger and condemnation.

There will be no "don't look back in anger" vigils for this one - and rightly so ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Posted this elsewhere recently, but here's a list of USA attacks up to the time this comment was posted on Reddit early last year.

It's not a matter of keeping score, but let's not kid ourselves that 'the right' are angels or anything.

You're basically talking about 1 attack a year in a country that size.. Youre more likely to be killed by a shark.

And most of the perpetrators have mental health issues rather than a well developed political ideology.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

banie01 wrote: »

It's the main story on the homepage of the the BBC website.

Let's leave the 'buried by the media because of the ideology/religion/ethnicity of the attackers' angle to the tinfoil hatters.

It does mean that this thread will be a lot shorter than otherwise though.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

The Dayton shooter who killed 9 was a left wing Antifa supporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Another far right terror attack. Will now disappear from the media and social media. Usual suspects will now ignore that it ever happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

osarusan wrote: »
    It's the main story on the homepage of the the BBC website.

Let's leave the 'buried by the media because of the ideology/religion/ethnicity of the attackers' angle to the tinfoil hatters.

Did I say website?
    Lots of people don't consume their news via Web even these days.
    Actual news channels on TV, usually the 1st 5minutes at top and bottom of hour and the tickets.
    BBC have just run a fairly detailed report on Victoria Derbyshire at 10.07.

Sky have relegated to secondary, Euronews are swapping between Germany and the EU budget as their headline but between 7 and 9.30 it was a secondary.

When the story broke, as can be seen from some of the comments early on in this thread, some jumped to the usual conclusion and some of the networks were awaiting reporters to arrive at the scene.

Prepping for the story to lead a news cycle.
    But it hasn't fit the expected narrative, so it gets relegated.

Compare it to coverage of lower body count Islamist attacks?
    Even the recent Streatham attack, with no fatalities.

There is most definitely a bias in the presentation and framing of news.
    Ignoring that only feeds further alienation on both sides IMO.

Edit

BBC have to their credit led off their 1pm main news with this as their lead story and have a quite detailed report.

RTE have led with the Dail and Knocknaheeny crash.
    No mention of Germany as of yet.

Burty330 wrote: »

Correct. That was about 6 months after the list was compiled, hence it is not included. The Dayton attack was the same day as the right wing El Paso shooting which killed 22 people, so feel free to update the list there if you'd like but I if your aim is to make the left look worse, you'll be wide of the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Burty330 wrote: »

And his murder spree wasn’t anything to do with his politics - he was more in the Columbine camp.

alastair wrote: »
    And his murder spree wasn’t anything to do with his politics - he was more in the Columbine camp.

He actually was politically motivated. He was a far leftist , anti police and pro Antifa.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,590 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Was expecting the usual suspects on the 1st page or 2 to pop in with their usual comments when a tragedy like this occurs.

They didn't disappoint as usual.

Feeling a bit sheepish bow I would say.

• Advertisement

Correct. That was about 6 months after the list was compiled, hence it is not included. The Dayton attack was the same day as the right wing El Paso shooting which killed 22 people, so feel free to update the list there if you'd like but I if your aim is to make the left look worse, you'll be wide of the mark.
    Then you purposefully posted misinformation.

Advertisement