Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rape Victim Abused and Threatened in Court

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

anewme wrote: »
    It's clear that the majority of people found this conduct abhorrent and the responses here would indicate that.

Who are you counting as the majority? Joe Duffy audience and a couple of posters here? The thread discussing Caroline Flacks death and the effects of social media on people has more posters and more widespread coverage and condemnation than this case? I’ll admit I had expected the persons name to be circulated on social media by now with the way social media mobs work, calling on everyone to condemn them and all the rest of it. I’m glad that hasn’t happened in this particular case.

Perhaps a more dramatic publicity stunt to make your point might have gained some attention, but the attention that stunt gained petered out fairly quickly too, as most of these “campaigns” do lately.

None of that is to say I don’t think you have a point, I just think it’s best left to Gardaí and the judiciary to determine what course of action to take in any given circumstances than taking their cues from short-sighted ignorant mobs on social media attempting to interfere with the administration of justice and leading to cases collapsing.

anewme wrote: »
    No one should be forced to endure threats and obscenities hurled at them in a Court of Law with Gardai present. The Gardai should act swiftly and harshly against such conduct with these people immediately removed from The Court.

And we're back here again. Do we have any evidence to show that the Gardai were present when the threats were made. None of the articles I've read say that they were. Just that they would investigate the threats made. Do you have any links to articles that show that there were Gardai present?

When a court is in session such behavior is not tolerated as it is contempt of court, because the judge is present. I've been searching but I can't find anything to suggest that a court room is a legally "safe space" without a judge being present.

And the Gardai shouldn't respond harshly in any case. Fair and measured responses. Investigate the possibility of a crime being committed, and then arrest if proven to be true.

Advertisement