Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toilet Training Older dogs

• 20-02-2020 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hoping someone may be able to help me or point me in the right direction, we have a King Charles with us for the last 4 years and she is fully house trained apart from a very rare accident. In December we got a second King Charles who is 6 yrs old and was supposedly house trained but after nearly three months I can confirm she isnt.
    I let her out last thing at night about 11 or 12 pm and when I get up at 7 there will be three or four puddles in the kitchen. I was thinking of getting a dog flap installed as she doesn't seem to be able to hold her pee for as long as my first dog.
    Does anyone have any advise or suggestions for me, we absolutely love her but the constant mopping of floors every morning is wearing thin.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

3 or 4 puddles from midnight to 7am seems a lot for an adult dog - have you had her checked by the vet - there could be some underlying issue there. Get a urine sample (a soup ladle is useful!!!) and bring it to the vet when you go

What are you cleaning the floor with - you need to remove any trace of ammonia from previous pees so that she wont be inclined to cover it with new pee :D

Is she stressy/anxious overnight? Is there a reason that she could be peeing overnight from fear?

Does she pee excessively during the day?

You could experiment with getting up in the night and taking her out for a pee, to see if that helps.

My first port of call thought would be the vet for a thorough check up, and have her urine checked...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Might puppy pads help in some way? When she is used to them, moving them nearer to an chosen place?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Minky22

Thank you for the replies, I have been getting up during night about 2am and letting her out and it doesn't seem to make a difference, she also poos overnight aswell, it's really getting me down, I have an appointment for the vets on Wednesday but if he doesn't have any miracle cure it think I'm gonna have to consider creating her at night which I already know she will hate....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Minky22 wrote: »
    Thank you for the replies, I have been getting up during night about 2am and letting her out and it doesn't seem to make a difference, she also poos overnight aswell, it's really getting me down, I have an appointment for the vets on Wednesday but if he doesn't have any miracle cure it think I'm gonna have to consider creating her at night which I already know she will hate....

Hope it goes well; and she will adapt to being crated. Did you try the pads?

Advertisement