Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers close down motorway to race horses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,357 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It amazes me that in 2020 you don't need a licence to own a horse in Ireland.

Should be a simple process:
    To get a Licence, you must own or lease land to keep the animal.
    If you don't have the land, you cant have a licence.
    If you're caught with a horse without a licence the Horse is Euthanised.
    Any horses grazing/left tied up on public land are Euthanised.

They're better off dead than in the hands of these people.

Far stricter controls for cattle, any gob****e or even child can buy a horse or swap it for a PlayStation.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,357 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    There was a dead horse lying on the road at the entrance to Dunsink Lane yesterday morning. A Garda Car with the blues on beside it. No doubt settled people left it there again.

It wouldn't fit in the brown bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

A law allowing for the immediate confiscation and destruction of both the horses and racing apparatus would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭dinorebel

It amazes me that in 2020 you don't need a licence to own a horse in Ireland.

Should be a simple process:
    To get a Licence, you must own or lease land to keep the animal.
    If you don't have the land, you cant have a licence.
    If you're caught with a horse without a licence the Horse is Euthanised.
    Any horses grazing/left tied up on public land are Euthanised.

They're better off dead than in the hands of these people.

Yep because travelers are well known for having driving licenses car tax and so on it would just be another law for them to break.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Poor animals must be terrified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

There was a dead horse lying on the road at the entrance to Dunsink Lane yesterday morning. A Garda Car with the blues on beside it. No doubt settled people left it there again.

Fionnan and sorcha just couldnt get it on the big green egg in a failed attempt to make viande chevaline, typical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Simple. €€€€. For lawyers. Quangos and any "academics" willing to play along with the "prejudice and disadvantage" narrative.
    I think many of us will remember a regularly posting solicitor here who would just not acknowledge the disproportionate problems in traveller society. To a point beyond delusion.

Saw a Facebook post about this last night. The usual grotesque defence and downplaying by some commenters.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

It's not exclusively Travellers doing this. I met someone who works with horses (legitimately) who takes part in these road races. He also races in Portmarnock raceway but when I asked why still do the road races he said there's nothing like the buzz and adrenaline of doing the road races.

Lads doing this put up facebook live videos like this (not the person I was talking to) https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1131107823734848&id=100005069225157

Yeah I hear the lads in Ballydoyle are going to start doing it on the Cashel bypass soon. :D
    Raconteuse wrote: »
    I think many of us will remember a regularly posting solicitor here who would just not acknowledge the disproportionate problems in traveller society. To a point beyond delusion.

Saw a Facebook post about this last night. The usual grotesque defence and downplaying by some commenters.

Hey did you expect him to start insulting half his clientele.
    BTW was this by any chance a Kerry solicitor that used to do election work for the Bull O'Donoghue ?

Just remember travellers are the gift that keeps on giving for some solicitors.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

I don't know if it was travellers, or who was involved, but if they have the registration numbers of the vehicles that were "protecting" the racers front and back, all of those vehicles should be impounded and destroyed, and the owners fined and banned from driving for whatever period the judge deems acceptable.

If the horse owners or the racers can be identified, their horses and traps should be taken too. Absolutely insane if this is left unpunished, unless they're unable to identify the culprits.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Is there any point in this thread.. we all know nothing will be done or can be done. Its there culture.

Plenty can be done.

This isn’t legal on a motorway.
    It’s animal cruelty.
    Each “Support” vehicle is breaking the law.

Nothing will be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

It's not exclusively Travellers doing this. I met someone who works with horses (legitimately) who takes part in these road races. He also races in Portmarnock raceway but when I asked why still do the road races he said there's nothing like the buzz and adrenaline of doing the road races.

Lads doing this put up facebook live videos like this (not the person I was talking to) https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1131107823734848&id=100005069225157

That's a disgusting video. Those poor animals being run to death. I couldn't watch it to the end. Even the grand national doesn't go on for that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

As discussed on another thread this is a regular occurrence on a Sunday morning around 7am. I've been late for work a few times because of it. Myself and work colleagues have rang 999 numerous times but the guards haven't done anything about it. It got to the stage in the summer that I would expect to be delayed so the guards are well aware of it and choose to ignore it. It's bad enough that they are racing on the road but they aggressively block anyone who tries to overtake them on the hard shoulder and people have been followed by them afterwards.

Cazale wrote: »
    As discussed on another thread this is a regular occurrence on a Sunday morning around 7am. I've been late for work a few times because of it. Myself and work colleagues have rang 999 numerous times but the guards haven't done anything about it. It got to the stage in the summer that I would expect to be delayed so the guards are well aware of it and choose to ignore it. It's bad enough that they are racing on the road but they aggressively block anyone who tries to overtake them on the hard shoulder and people have been followed by them afterwards.

Driving 6-7 abreast on a dual carriageway deserves a prison sentence

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

jim o doom wrote: »
    I don't know if it was travellers

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Slowyourrole

They do this most Sundays in different locations. Start just before Garda shift change. There was a patrol car trying to intervene a couple of weeks ago near Brownsbarn but there's not much they can do against those numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Really?

Yeah man, one would assume that it is, but I'm not one to make assumptions without concrete evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

They do this most Sundays in different locations. Start just before Garda shift change. There was a patrol car trying to intervene a couple of weeks ago near Brownsbarn but there's not much they can do against those numbers.

Why not i am sure there are more garda cars a radio call away if they were bothered with actually doing something about it

easier to stop people for tax and insurance than deal with this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

If you shot the poor thing in the head you'd be doing it a favour
    The pony did nothing wrong.
    It should be immediately removed and provided with shelter and care, and the owners (if found) fined/jailed.
    Edit: I know you were being tongue and cheek.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Should be a simple process: To get a Licence, you must own or lease land to keep the animal. If you don't have the land, you cant have a licence. If you're caught with a horse without a licence the Horse is Euthanised. Any horses grazing/left tied up on public land are Euthanised.

Can I be an annoying nitpick about this? This won't do anything and is entirely impractical. Many average horse owners don't own land and keep the horse in livery. Euthanising the animal isn't going to be much of a deterrent if they don't give a damn about the animal. I know of several ponies by good owners that are tethered on verges outside the owner's house to clean them up. They're also used by multi day trekking yards to give their horses a break. What you're suggesting won't actually do a single thing against the people you're targeting and would just make life for the normal horse owner much more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

https://www.thejournal.ie/ispca-shocked-and-appalled-after-video-emerges-of-high-speed-sulky-race-on-n7-motorway-5014570-Feb2020/

Gas. The Journal put an article up on it but no comments allowed. Every other topic in the world you can comment on but not The Ones Who May Not Be Criticised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Yurt! wrote: »
    Poor animals must be terrified.

I don't think the horses enjoy it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Imagine that a business could be sued for discrimination for not hiring a traveller or refusing them entry to the premise. That is astounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

A pair of them racing on a back road north of Cork City yesterday too. I've often seen just one around there but that was the first time I'd seen two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

There are animal shelters for mistreated horses. You don't need to euthanize them just because their owners break the law. They rehabilitate some in horrific condition - rotten wounds and inability to stand.

People drone in about the left being at fault for tolerating such things. This is nonsense, only complete wackos think stuff like this should be tolerated. The real problem is the lack of resources made available to do anything about it. That is due to right wing policies with stingy investment in public services including policing.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

In before someone asks why the OP assumes they are travellers.

ya maybe a handful of CEOs from the IFSC decided to take their horse and trap out for a run, with their assistants traveling behind so as to close the road for the race

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Diceicle wrote: »
    There's only someting like 30,000 of them in Ireland. Imagine the state of the place if there was a 100,000.

30,000 my eye I'd say we nearly have that amount in Galway alone.

Has to be way higher than that but no way of knowing because they never fill out the census.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

https://www.thejournal.ie/ispca-shocked-and-appalled-after-video-emerges-of-high-speed-sulky-race-on-n7-motorway-5014570-Feb2020/

Gas. The Journal put an article up on it but no comments allowed. Every other topic in the world you can comment on but not The Ones Who May Not Be Criticised.

When the journal close a comment section you know well a minority is to blame for the crime

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

mloc123 wrote: »
    Knackers gonna knack..

Are they knacks?

The Irish Times article makes no reference.

Funny that.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

I say good luck to 'em, most Irish people are two or three generations removed from peasantry yet like to believe that they're 'up there' with Euro cosmopolitans like the Swiss or the Danes, that they've never been poor in their history or had to take the mail boat to stand hungover on Cricklewood Broadway at 6am with Paddy, Joe and Mick working on the lump.

The tinkers are a nasty little reminder that your're not all that grand underneath all the pretentiousness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Are they knacks?

The Irish Times article makes no reference.

Funny that.

There is no possible way on god's green earth they are anything but travellers, but I mean surely you know this already

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement