Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers close down motorway to race horses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

dd973 wrote:
    I say good luck to 'em, most Irish people are two or three generations removed from peasantry yet like to believe that they're 'up there' with Euro cosmopolitans like the Swiss or the Danes, that they've never been poor in their history or had to take the mail boat to stand hungover on Cricklewood Broadway at 6am with Paddy, Joe and Mick working on the lump.

And yet my ancestors managed to use their animals with respect.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Are they knacks?

The Irish Times article makes no reference.

Funny that.

They wouldn't dream of making any allusions in case Pavee Point kick up a fuss about "racial profiling". Pathetic cowardice from the Irish Times and Journal.ie, PP have them by the shorties.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

dd973 wrote: »
    I say good luck to 'em, most Irish people are two or three generations removed from peasantry yet like to believe that they're 'up there' with Euro cosmopolitans like the Swiss or the Danes, that they've never been poor in their history or had to take the mail boat to stand hungover on Cricklewood Broadway at 6am with Paddy, Joe and Mick working on the lump.

The tinkers are a nasty little reminder that your're not all that grand underneath all the pretentiousness.

Even Swiss and Danes lived in poverty once. Go back 100 years and Germans, Norwegians and Swedes were travelling in 3rd class to get to the US. It wasnt ALL Irish, like Irish Central would like us to think.

I don't know about you, but most of us have moved on from clattering each other to sort a dispute and living in our own shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

The tinkers are a nasty little reminder that your're not all that grand underneath all the pretentiousness.

Ha, working.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mlem123

Pavee's Statement:
    The horse racing incident on the N7 motorway, as shown in a video today (20/2/2020), is completely unacceptable and endangers other road users and indeed animals and participants themselves.
    This misuse of a public road is shocking and Pavee Point calls on anybody contemplating similar activities to stop and consider the safety of other road users.
    Sulkie Racing, which is a longstanding tradition within and outside the Traveller Community, should not be confused with the actions of the participants in this incident.
    Sulkie Racing can be carried out in a way which is safe and well regulated as international best practice in other countries demonstrates – where there is a process and space for it to take place. Examples of good practice also exist around Ireland.
    Pavee Point calls on local authorities to engage with Traveller organisations, horse owner projects and the Gardaí to explore how to bring about a resolution which allows this long-standing tradition to continue in a manner which is safe, legal and regulated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Even Swiss and Danes lived in poverty once. Go back 100 years and Germans, Norwegians and Swedes were travelling in 3rd class to get to the US. It wasnt ALL Irish, like Irish Central would like us to think.

I don't know about you, but most of us have moved on from clattering each other to sort a dispute and living in our own shyte.

Ha, yeah like the whole Irish built New York thing. It was mostly Germans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Can't say anything - that would be racist :rolleyes: God forbid they be expected to abide by the same laws as settled folk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Whole other level of crazy.

This assessment you have of Irish people (one of whom you are, despite the "your're") is all in your head. Who denies they're only a small number of generations from poverty? Who thinks they're grand and "up there" with whomever and is pretentious? Thought Irish people "begrudged" all that - which is it?

What's poverty got to do with it anyway? There are people who aren't travellers that are struggling to make ends meet.

Incoherent babble.

What do you say good luck to them regarding, btw?

Would it be... the widespread animal cruelty? The widespread unsanitary conditions? The lack of sex education/contraception use? How about the high levels of domestic violence? The child marriages? The high level of criminality? The elderly living in fear in rural areas?

Good luck in which of those?

Because of some weird resentment you have towards fellow Irish people for simply moving beyond living in thatched cottages that you say "good luck" regarding the above issues... wow how bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭whippet

mlem123 wrote: »
    Pavee's Statement:

so in summary - it's bad .. but its our culture and it's up to others to accommodate us doing this

"Examples of good practice also exist around Ireland."

Pavee Point having a laugh at our expense. Respect is a two-way street.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

The horse racing incident on the N7 motorway, as shown in a video today (20/2/2020), is completely unacceptable and endangers other road users and indeed animals and participants themselves.
    This misuse of a public road is shocking and Pavee Point calls on anybody contemplating similar activities to stop and consider the safety of other road users.
    Sulkie Racing, which is a longstanding tradition within and outside the Traveller Community, should not be confused with the actions of the participants in this incident.
    Fair enough.
    Sulkie Racing can be carried out in a way which is safe and well regulated as international best practice in other countries demonstrates – where there is a process and space for it to take place. Examples of good practice also exist around Ireland.
    Pavee Point calls on local authorities to engage with Traveller organisations, horse owner projects and the Gardaí to explore how to bring about a resolution which allows this long-standing tradition to continue in a manner which is safe, legal and regulated.
    And deflection of responsibility. "It's the council's fault."

My culture is driving a motor vehicle.

Can the council provide a motor racing track for my cultural activity?

Good old Mattie. Telling it like it is. “ A Tipperary TD says abusing horses by racing them with lightweight carts is not part of Traveller culture and should be banned.” http://tippfm.com/news/animal-welfare/mcgrath-claims-sulky-racing-money-making-pursuit/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

It amazes me that in 2020 you don't need a licence to own a horse in Ireland.

Should be a simple process:
    To get a Licence, you must own or lease land to keep the animal.
    If you don't have the land, you cant have a licence.
    If you're caught with a horse without a licence the Horse is Euthanised.
    Any horses grazing/left tied up on public land are Euthanised.

They're better off dead than in the hands of these people.

Yeah but realistically what difference would it make? Do you think the travelers are going to comply with the law? Or are they going to face consequences when they don't comply?
    Sure how many of them have no driving licence, tax or insurance and get away with it for years or decades? yeah, they might having road traffic convictions for it - but it certainly doesn't stop them driving.
    "Me hole" is the answer to any of the above questions.

They won't comply with any such laws if they were introduced. The standard answer when challenged as the ownership of a horse will be "ah sure dat not my hurse atall bass, dat hurse there behlong Big Antney's son Michael below, sir".

What are you supposed to do with that? Prosecute someone over an unlicenced horse, even when there is no proof that they own the horse nor any admission on their part that they own it.
    And even if they were prosecuted and convicted? What then? Sure they all have probably 60 previous convictions anyway - what difference is one more going to make. Certainly won't be a deterrred. They don't give a bollox about the law or breaking it. It is a normal part of life for them. No laws, no accountability and no consequences. They are more or less free to do as they please.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Yeah but realistically what difference would it make? Do you think the travelers are going to comply with the law? Or are they going to face consequences when they don't comply?
    Sure how many of them have no driving licence, tax or insurance and get away with it for years or decades? yeah, they might having road traffic convictions for it - but it certainly doesn't stop them driving.
    "Me hole" is the answer to any of the above questions.

They won't comply with any such laws if they were introduced. The standard answer when challenged as the ownership of a horse will be "ah sure dat not my hurse atall bass, dat hurse there behlong Big Antney's son Michael below, sir".

What are you supposed to do with that? Prosecute someone over an unlicenced horse, even when there is no proof that they own the horse nor any admission on their part that they own it.
    And even if they were prosecuted and convicted? What then? Sure they all have probably 60 previous convictions anyway - what difference is one more going to make. Certainly won't be a deterrred. They don't give a bollox about the law or breaking it. It is a normal part of life for them. No laws, no accountability and no consequences. They are more or less free to do as they please.

You can in a small way admire them for doing absolutely exactly as they please

It's the educated **** who defend and celebrate their "culture" who are much worse

I'd use them instead of the poor horse on the motorway, let John Jimmy shout at boucher Hayes as he pulls his chariot

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Would those Stinger things that used to stop the joyriding years ago be any use in these situations? You know, burst the tyres on the cars in the convoy.

I suppose that would be going against their civil rights or something. Those poor animals (the four legged variety).

Good luck with that. State would be getting sued by everyone in all of the stinger'd cars for injuried and alleged injuries caused by the dangerous act of using a stinger and causing the cars to go out of control. Especially dangerous since there were people hanging out the windows of the cars.
    Can't do that kind thing in ireland and it would be a disproportionate amount of force. it might be justifiable if there were hostages being held at gunpoint or something in a vehicle.

Also, stingers would obviously injure the poor animals. (When I say animals I am referring to the horses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

It would be very easy to take horses from them with a little investment and enforcement. Horses have to be microchipped and have passports, if not the local council/Gardai/dept of agriculture can take them. I've seen dept of agriculture do it.

Then the authorities should look in to the dismantling of the fairs like the one in Galway where travellers trade horses and dogs. That along with a crackdown on sites like donedeal would go a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Plenty can be done.

This isn’t legal on a motorway.

Its not a motorway , it's a dual carriageway.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

Oh ****, in that case it's perfectly fine.
    Sorry about the thread.

• Advertisement

Umm is it legal on a dual carriageway?

I somehow doubt that.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

d15ude wrote: »
    Oh ****, in that case it's perfectly fine.
    Sorry about the thread.

No one said it was fine, but from a legal standpoint it may well be different. Theres are a lot more restrictions about who can and cannot be on a motorway. A sulky wouldnt be allowed on a motorway, but theres nothing stopping them being on a dual carriageway I wouldn't think. Racing is a different story but I'd say the rest would all scatter if a load of Gardai showed up and theyd claim to be on a sunday morning recreational ride when all these cars shwoed up hassling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Then the authorities should look in to the dismantling of the fairs like the one in Galway where travellers trade horses and dogs. That along with a crackdown on sites like donedeal would go a long way.

It's extremely rare that Donedeal gets used for trotters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

It's a three lane national primary road.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Graboid wrote: »
    They only misbehave because they're 'poor'. I'm sure if we increase their dole by 500% they'll cop on.

I wish I was poor enough to constantly misbehave in brand new 4x4s and bet thousands in cash on an illegal horse race.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

It's extremely rare that Donedeal gets used for trotters.

Yep that was more the canine side of things. Not the topic of the thread I know but also an animal frequently used by travellers to make money.

So just go out and seize a few hundred horses, just like that?
    And what are the Gardai and councils supposed to do with all these horses. Realistically all that can be done is put them down. There are no facilities or resources for storing horses. All that iis seriously expensive business.

And if they were put down then all the supposed owners would be coming forward claiming for compensation.

That's the way this country works.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Look, those who observe the law, pay their taxes and live decent lives will never be rewarded.

Well why should we. Answer me that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

Good old Mattie. Telling it like it is. “ A Tipperary TD says abusing horses by racing them with lightweight carts is not part of Traveller culture and should be banned.” http://tippfm.com/news/animal-welfare/mcgrath-claims-sulky-racing-money-making-pursuit/

Good to see at least one of our politicians standing up and calling this out for what it is!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement