Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers close down motorway to race horses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Absolute disgrace. Impound the horses.fine those involved. check the cars for NCT/TAX/Insurance. Check how the cars were paid for. Have them impounded if this can't be proven.it seems to me that only the working class folk in this country are subject to the laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Where were the Gardai when all this was happening ? I wonder were all those vans and 4x4's taxed,insured and with up to date NCT certs and the horses microchipped,with Registered owners and passports? I think we know the answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

To be fair. All their hard earned tax money contributed to that motorway too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Pavee Point calls on local authorities to engage with Traveller organisations, horse owner projects and the Gardaí to explore how to bring about a resolution which allows this long-standing tradition to continue in a manner which is safe, legal and regulated.

-About sums it all up, doesn’t it? It’s all down to someone else to solve the problem.

We seriously need an American-style “X number of strikes and you’re out” law. Not 3 maybe but most of the travelling burglars (and in fairness, settled ones too!) you read about in the courts swindling old people and robbing houses and glassing people in the street and so on, have 20-30-40-50-100 plus previous convictions. Pick a point somewhere along that line that’s more than 3 but less than 300 and you’ll soon run out of people to take part in races like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Pavee Point calls on local authorities to engage with Traveller organisations, horse owner projects and the Gardaí to explore how to bring about a resolution which allows this long-standing tradition to continue in a manner which is safe, legal and regulated.

There is a resolution. Harness racing is a safe, legal and regulated sport. The issue is with the words "safe", "legal", and "regulated".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

-About sums it all up, doesn’t it? It’s all down to someone else to solve the problem.

We seriously need an American-style “X number of strikes and you’re out” law. Not 3 maybe but most of the travelling burglars (and in fairness, settled ones too!) you read about in the courts swindling old people and robbing houses and glassing people in the street and so on, have 20-30-40-50-100 plus previous convictions. Pick a point somewhere along that line that’s more than 3 but less than 300 and you’ll soon run out of people to take part in races like this.

Reality is we don't have enough prison spaces.

We need a couple of Thornton Halls realistically.

Also the bed and breakfast routine and fully catered for 24/7 in prison should be stopped. Needs to be more Shawshank Redemption in tone and practical reality, otherwise it's just a home from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Wonder will RTE follow up on the garda investigation?
    They are good to follow up on stuff. For example, number 3 story this evening is that a guy called Roger stone who is a friend of Donald Trump was given a jail sentence today. They were sure to follow up on that. All the way from America. Hopefully they will follow up on this story as vigorously.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

The Irish self entitlement is like no other.

I'm baffled at where it came from.

But it's there through every class.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

The Irish self entitlement is like no other.

I'm baffled at where it came from.

But it's there through every class.

Were you expecting anything else from Pavee Point? They are not some kind of representative group, the are a lobbyist group for Travellers. There sole aim is to big up Travellers and deflect every accusation onto someone else.

There go to responses for absolutely everything is that;
    -A) its part of some storied culture and a cornerstone of Oirish identity that Travellers are upholding as the Settled "lose their way" and forget they are "only 2 or 3 generatiosn away from peasantry"
    -B) only occured because of the lack of funding or exclusions by you's lot.....somehow these scum racing on the N7 is because there was not enough money for something.....so its really all your fault so no point ya getting angry at us!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Where were the Gardai when all this was happening ? I wonder were all those vans and 4x4's taxed,insured and with up to date NCT certs and the horses microchipped,with Registered owners and passports? I think we know the answers.

Having free coffees no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It's easy blame the Guards but it's got to be annoying for them as well when they do bring cases to court and more often than not the judge lets mr ethnic minority off with a slap on the wrist on what might be his umpteenth conviction.

Driving bans mean nothing to them because more often than not they never did a test to get a license and they will continue to drive anyway.

It's got to be hard on the horses as well forcing them to race on roads their feet must be in a state after it, punishment for mistreatment of animals needs to be a lot tougher.

Take the horses away and hit them where it hurts, in their pocket.

For the slow learner "woke" brigade :

Saying there are problematic aspects to Traveller culture when it comes to animal cruelty and abiding the law is not discriminatory against Travellers.

Similarly pointing out problems with cultural forced child brides and FGM is not bigoted against certain religions.

People who have a problem with that generally have no problem with concepts like toxic masculinity and white privilege, which are far more bigoted than pointing out issues with certain cultures and religious beliefs.

Many travellers are fine people, my daughter was even friends with 2 of them as a child. Never a single problem with them. However there is a problem with the dominant culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Wonder will RTE follow up on the garda investigation?
    They are good to follow up on stuff. For example, number 3 story this evening is that a guy called Roger stone who is a friend of Donald Trump was given a jail sentence today. They were sure to follow up on that. All the way from America. Hopefully they will follow up on this story as vigorously.
    Little to no chance of RTE following up on that, and if it is reported it will be well hidden by them.

I saw the incident on VM news last night and that was the question I asked myself. At the time of the Muslim extremist attacks all over Europe where innocent men, women, and children were being murdered, the Gardai told us that they were well prepared to handle such an attack in Ireland. Yet, there was no sign of them last night in a highly accessible and visible part of the country.
    From my experience in other countries, if something similar happened there, I can assure you that the police would have been on the scene within minutes, and there would have been immediate arrests, with the ponies safely removed and all of the racing equipment seized.

Why does not this not happen in Ireland is a very fair question?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Kivaro wrote: »
    I saw the incident on VM news last night and that was the question I asked myself. At the time of the Muslim extremist attacks all over Europe where innocent men, women, and children were being murdered, the Gardai told us that they were well prepared to handle such an attack in Ireland. Yet, there was no sign of them last night in a highly accessible and visible part of the country.
    From my experience in other countries, if something similar happened there, I can assure you that the police would have been on the scene within minutes, and there would have been immediate arrests, with the ponies safely removed and all of the racing equipment seized.

Why does not this not happen in Ireland is a very fair question?

If you had a satellite image of the area you would see multiple Garda cars speeding.... away from the scene. What Garda would want to find themselves in the middle of that shower of animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

enda was under pressure from the media , Quango and academia sector as well as his coalition labour party and various other do gooders to enact this

seriously doubt he personally had any conviction about the matter

even when crimes are committed by their bretheren , pavee point like to frame the topic in a way which implies those committing crime should have a seat at the table of discussion which gives them equal footing and parity of esteem with the likes of the guards or the animal cruelty bodies

even more bizarre , RTE present the situation exactly the same way pavee point do , imagine if RTE reported that kinenehan cartel members were in discussions with guards about resolving matters ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I wonder where they got the NCT for their vehicles?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I wonder where they got the NCT for their vehicles?

Most of the vehicles are too new for nct

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    even more bizarre , RTE present the situation exactly the same way pavee point do , imagine if RTE reported that kinenehan cartel members were in discussions with guards about resolving matters ?
    Not bizarre at all.
    Travellers are a cause célèbre for the liberal elitists at RTE.
    Case in point: a Traveller criminal, who admitted publicly that she was not poor but just looking for a free forever home, being interviewed by a millionaire RTE presenter (who is paid with an excessive tax on contributors in society) and this presenter did not ask this criminal what did she mean by that statement.

RTE (and their reaction) can be seen as one of the main reasons on why there was no Gardai response to the incident on the N7 motorway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Similarly pointing out problems with cultural forced child brides and FGM is not bigoted against certain religions.

Don't travellers do the child bride thing too? I thought Mags Cash said she was married at 15 or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Traveller groups now calling for funds to be diverted from Horse Racing Ireland to sulky racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Don't travellers do the child bride thing too? I thought Mags Cash said she was married at 15 or something.

Short of FGM they're pretty renowned for almost every other barbaric and grossly outdated practice that can take place upon a teenage girl. Incest, Deprivation of education, domestic abuse, treating as lower citizens, religious indoctrination, child brides, martial rape, forced pregnancy , the lot. Their culture is the kind of sick patriarchy that middle class radical feminists believe American republicans desire. Yet radical feminists often defend traveller culture as it fits their left narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Hoboo wrote: »
    Gardai are ****ebags, they don't get involved if it's too much hassle. They're afraid of their lives.

Why would they though? to get attacked is it? whats the point in putting yourself in harms way, and in the unlikely event that it ever went to court, the most that would happen is a slap on the wrist / add another conviction to the scorecard with no real consequence? Its not that the guards are powerless, its just pointless when the legal system doesn't effectively punish the guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Traveller groups now calling for funds to be diverted from Horse Racing Ireland to sulky racing.

I'm not sure if serious or not... but harness racing (i.e the actual sport) is under Horse Sport Ireland and it's funded by the Dept of Agriculture, Food and Marine.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

How far back does this "tradition" of sulky racing go? 30 maybe 40 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Short of FGM they're pretty renowned for almost every other barbaric and grossly outdated practice that can take place upon a teenage girl. Incest, Deprivation of education, domestic abuse, treating as lower citizens, religious indoctrination, child brides, martial rape, forced pregnancy , the lot. Their culture is the kind of sick patriarchy that middle class radical feminists believe American republicans desire. Yet radical feminists often defend traveller culture as it fits their left narrative.

I wonder why the Repeal t-shirt brigade aren't out protesting for these trapped traveller women

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Why can't they club together and rent a proper horse track for a day or two and race on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Why can't they club together and rent a proper horse track for a day or two and race on that.

Why would they when they don't have to?

This isn't even the scariest sulky racing video out there. At least on the dual carriageway the traffic is one way. Racing on the N20, where they force cars and trucks on the other side of the road off the road are genuinely frightening.

• Advertisement

I wonder why the Repeal t-shirt brigade aren't out protesting for these trapped traveller women

Intersectionalism innit

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement