Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers close down motorway to race horses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

If you want a reason for peoples actions.
    Look at the consequences to infer the reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭avalidusername

It would be very easy to take horses from them with a little investment and enforcement. Horses have to be microchipped and have passports, if not the local council/Gardai/dept of agriculture can take them. I've seen dept of agriculture do it.

Then the authorities should look in to the dismantling of the fairs like the one in Galway where travellers trade horses and dogs. That along with a crackdown on sites like donedeal would go a long way.

Wouldn't be hard to do either, a vet with a microchip scanner checking all horses/ponies at the markets. Protected by ERU and ARU of course. Any non chipped horses/ponies seized.

Have Pavee Point ever said what their policy is on what is done with their sulky horses after they have passed their peak racing stage? I'm not aware of any retraining or rehoming projects that the travelling community are funding to gain support or acceptance for their cultural pastime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭garrettod

It amazes me that in 2020 you don't need a licence to own a horse in Ireland.

Very good point.

That said, how many travellers are paying their dog licences, have driving licences etc? My bet is, very few....

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Wouldn't be hard to do either, a vet with a microchip scanner checking all horses/ponies at the markets. Protected by ERU and ARU of course. Any non chipped horses/ponies seized.

Have Pavee Point ever said what their policy is on what is done with their sulky horses after they have passed their peak racing stage? I'm not aware of any retraining or rehoming projects that the travelling community are funding to gain support or acceptance for their cultural pastime.

Firstly if a horse is well fed and ok ..you don't want to go seizing all the horses not chipped ...you wouldn't rehome them...many would have to be put down. There are too many.

The best idea is to geld them. Upstream. There is a huge over breeding of horses.

You can't safely neuter mares unfortunately well you can but its more complex than neutering a cat or a dog. So for every stallion ..lots of foals.
    Originally Posted by Beta Ray Bill View Post
    It amazes me that in 2020 you don't need a licence to own a horse in Ireland.

You do. And yes i am sure there unlicensed horses. Its not like dogs and cats where hundreds of homes can take one in though. That's the issue.

And yes there have been times when people have thought about having a cull. But animal rights activists go mental trying to save them.

A lot of the time the horses they save have poor conformation etc And there are so many ...who knows what kind of homes they get.

The issue is really TOO MANY horses.

Gelding is no where near as promoted promoted as spaying is for cats and dogs etc.

Trying to stop unregulated breeding of horses is the answer imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭feelthepower

Maybe Big Joe can sort them out racing on the roads or people mistreating horses.

BIG JOE FOR TAOISEACH!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Look, Cheltenham is a mere few weeks away. If they can't let them stretch their legs now......

Look, Cheltenham is a mere few weeks away. If they can't let them stretch their legs now......
    yeah chip an pin could vrs tiger rolls

Tiger Rolls might have a bit more of an entourage though.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

There's a certain admiration I have for the travelers, (except for when it comes to the abuse of animals of course)
    My point is they are more or less immune to any consequences. They have every excuse in the book at their disposal, and are able to spoof and cute talk their way out of nearly everything, and even if they are prosecuted and convicted it has no practical impact on them as they don't live in a world where convictions or time in prison had any real negative effect or sigma on them. for example they haven't got jobs to loose, or mortgages to pay or a need to keep a clean record or a respectable reputation to uphold (at least not in the sense that you or I might understand). In the worst case for them, conviction and imprisonment is a mere short term inconvenience and even a badge of honour to be bragged about.

They have a way of life that lets them more or less so whatever they want and get away with it. They are truly free in a way.

They are the sort of people who would thrive and come out trumps in the event of a Mad Max type dystopian society of that were to happen.

Excellent post.

They're not bound by the niceties of settled society. They simply don't care.

We're the saps, quivering at the sight of a speed van or a white-and-hi-vis car pulling up to our house.
    Whatever will the neighbours think?? Oh jees what if I get penalty points or a record??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

yeah chip an pin could vrs tiger rolls

Tiger Rolls might have a bit more of an entourage though.:pac:

Tiger Roll won't be running until Aintree, they'll be getting ready for that on the M9 next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Excellent post.

We're the saps, quivering at the sight of a speed van or a white-and-hi-vis car pulling up to our house.
    Whatever will the neighbours think?? Oh jees what if I get penalty points or a record??
    Lets all live like Travelers it will be a Utopian society!

• Advertisement

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    Lets all live like Travelers it will be a Utopian society!
    i like my luxuries too much

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Tiger Roll wouldnt last two minutes carting around an overfed traveller

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is there a single thing about traveller culture that benefits Irish society?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Excellent post.

They aren't happy though. Extremely high levels of alcoholism, violence, mental illness, depression and suicide etc.
    I suppose it's because they have no real goals or direction in their life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

What I don't get is that it's one of the main road networks in Ireland but no arrests and nothing will be done about it until the next high profile incident.

What has to happen before it's taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

The amount of road traffic offences is enough the Gardai have no excuses here!

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    The amount of road traffic offences is enough the Gardai have no excuses here!

Might even catch-up to some of those numbers they were lying about a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

NewRed2 wrote: »
    Yeah that was the chap.

Prior to that there was an interview with a Sinn Fein rep and another politician from another party and they discussed climate change policy and I think it was Kieran Cuddihy who grilled the SF lad and he kept interrupting him and aggressively interogating him but when this Nevin chap came on the tone was entirely different and the interviewer (dont know her name) said about 4 times that she wanted to be clear that she wasn't implying any travellers were involved in the incident.

Cuddihy is a virtue signalling PC hack, as is the female co presenter, she got some attention around the time of the rose of tralee last year when she delivered a flawlessly WOKE live monologue about how the rose of tralee needs women from direct provision and the traveller community participating

Idiots like that are never going to come next or near to interviewing a member of the PC sacred cow list in any effective manner

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

There's a certain admiration I have for the travelers, (except for when it comes to the abuse of animals of course)
    My point is they are more or less immune to any consequences. They have every excuse in the book at their disposal, and are able to spoof and cute talk their way out of nearly everything, and even if they are prosecuted and convicted it has no practical impact on them as they don't live in a world where convictions or time in prison had any real negative effect or sigma on them. for example they haven't got jobs to loose, or mortgages to pay or a need to keep a clean record or a respectable reputation to uphold (at least not in the sense that you or I might understand). In the worst case for them, conviction and imprisonment is a mere short term inconvenience and even a badge of honour to be bragged about.

They have a way of life that lets them more or less so whatever they want and get away with it. They are truly free in a way.

They are the sort of people who would thrive and come out trumps in the event of a Mad Max type dystopian society of that were to happen.

Fantastically accurate summary of the traveller way

They do indeed have pure freedom, add to that they have Liberal idiots eating out of their hand and spinning the absurd narative that they have it terrible

It's a helluva trick

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Dont euthanize the poor ponies who are left in neglect. Euthanize the owners of these poor creatures. That's the only way to stop this sort of thing happening again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Calhoun wrote: »
    What I don't get is that it's one of the main road networks in Ireland but no arrests and nothing will be done about it until the next high profile incident.

Grow up Government are never going to tackle this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,081 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

I see Joe Joyce Jr has pictures with the winning horse and rider all over his FB.

They wouldn’t exactly be hard to find if the Gardai wanted to arrest the participants.

Grow up Government are never going to tackle this.

I know I know, to busy organizing celebrations for the black and tans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Someone travelling in the opposite direction to have a head on collision with one of these clowns.

No doubt it will be the 'commuters' fault for interrupting culture and thousands of whiplash claims will follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

I know I know, to busy organizing celebrations for the black and tans.

And CO2 emissions.

The roads may be like a Mad Max film but once you do not add to the greenhouse effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

biko wrote: »
    Is there a single thing about traveller culture that benefits Irish society?

Their contribution to the sport of boxing in Ireland is excellent, just look at our Olympics teams.
    Their contribution to traditional Irish music deserves praise also, though I feel that's in the past now.

Really driving at full speed down the dead end of separate racial and cultural identity has been a disaster for Travellers, even more so than the rest of us. On virtually every quality of life index they do much worse. However their self appointed spokespeople get cushy quango roles and various other vested interests make out like bandits off them and it seems the Travelling community can't see that in the long run they're being had.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Their contribution to the sport of boxing in Ireland is excellent, just look at our Olympics teams.
    Their contribution to traditional Irish music deserves praise also, though I feel that's in the past now.

Really driving at full speed down the dead end of separate racial and cultural identity has been a disaster for Travellers, even more so than the rest of us. On virtually every quality of life index they do much worse. However their self appointed spokespeople get cushy quango roles and various other vested interests make out like bandits off them and it seems the Travelling community can't see that in the long run they're being had.

They have nobody but themselves to blame if they are doing worse, wrecking houses that are finished to the highest standard and throwing rubbish all over the place.

Only going to school an odd day while complaining they cant get a job and then marrying off their daughters while they are still teenagers to a life of scrubbing floors and popping out 10 kids in as many years.

The only people being "had" is the rest of society that has to pay for them and put up with their wild west antics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

That applies to savages in the jungle too, only difference is that savages are able to look after themselves and don't expect tax payers to provide for them

• Registered Users Posts: 14,809 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

If they don't contribute anything to society, why on earth is society looking after them? Because they were born here? Big whoop.

Cut off their benefits and let them earn their crust like the rest of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Panthro wrote: »
    If they don't contribute anything to society, why on earth is society looking after them? Because they were born here? Big whoop.

Cut off their benefits and let them earn their crust like the rest of us.

I'm with you that one!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement