Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers close down motorway to race horses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Because they're a race of children and would literally starve to death if we didn't provide everything for them.

Problem solved then ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

jim o doom wrote: »
    I don't know if it was travellers, or who was involved, but if they have the registration numbers of the vehicles that were "protecting" the racers front and back, all of those vehicles should be impounded and destroyed, and the owners fined and banned from driving for whatever period the judge deems acceptable.

If the horse owners or the racers can be identified, their horses and traps should be taken too. Absolutely insane if this is left unpunished, unless they're unable to identify the culprits.

I got you fam, it was travelers.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mod: alastair - cut that crap out or you'll get a threadban.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Honestly i would have been pissed if i needed to use the motorway. But if the animals are in good knick ...the police should have better things to worry about.

Other than you not needing to use the motorway as long as the animals are well looked after then fair game? The garda should have better things to worry about?

One of the busiest roads in the country, the main artery in and out of our capital city and it's being used completely illegally and you think the garda should have better things to worry about.

That is/was disgraceful what they did. Imagine that happening on the M25 outside London...it would be all over the BBC news and I can guarantee you the British police would be over it like a rash.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

mfceiling wrote: »
    Other than you not needing to use the motorway as long as the animals are well looked after then fair game? The garda should have better things to worry about?

One of the busiest roads in the country, the main artery in and out of our capital city and it's being used completely illegally and you think the garda should have better things to worry about.

That is/was disgraceful what they did. Imagine that happening on the M25 outside London...it would be all over the BBC news and I can guarantee you the British police would be over it like a rash.

The drivers of the cars were acting illegally, but there’s no law against using a sulky on a dual carriageway - which this is. It’s not a motorway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

alastair wrote: »
    The drivers of the cars were acting illegally, but there’s no law against using a sulky on a dual carriageway - which this is. It’s not a motorway.

Road racing of any sort is illegal without permission.
    The Roads Act of 1993 details rules surrounding the holding and organisation of road races.
    “A person who intends to hold, organise or promote a road race shall give at least one month’s notice (or such other period of notice as may be prescribed by the Minister) in writing to the road authority and to the Superintendent of the Garda Síochána within whose district the road race is to be held,”

Source: https://www.petethevet.com/pete-the-vet-discusses-sulky-racing-on-newstalks-pat-kenny-show-then-responds-to-listeners-pet-queries/

n97 mini wrote: »

Seemingly Limerick City and County Councils believe the law on sulky racing on public roads is not so cut and dried: https://www.limerickpost.ie/2017/10/22/limerick-regulations-ban-sulky-racing-roads/

Seemingly Limerick City and County Councils believe the law on sulky racing on public roads is not so cut and dried: https://www.limerickpost.ie/2017/10/22/limerick-regulations-ban-sulky-racing-roads/

The law is very clear. Any further laws/legislation aim to set penalties specifically for sulky racing.

The law is very clear. Any further laws/legislation aim to set penalties specifically for sulky racing.

That’s not the case. Public roads have varied laws. What applies to the NRA roads doesn’t apply to local authority public roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

biko wrote: »
    Is there a single thing about traveller culture that benefits Irish society?

Private security firms, locksmiths and CCTV installers profits...

Repeat sales of household goods, trailors and copper cable after replacement due to theft ?

• Advertisement

That’s not the case. Public roads have varied laws. What applies to the NRA roads doesn’t apply to local authority public roads.

They're all public roads. Racing is illegal on public roads, unless given prior permission. The legislation doesn't distinguish between who maintains said road.

They're all public roads. Racing is illegal on public roads, unless given prior permission. The legislation doesn't distinguish between who maintains said road.

Of course it does. That’s exactly why the Limerick bye laws were required.
    I move:
    That leave be granted to introduce a Bill entitled an Act to prohibit sulky racing where no lawful permission has been granted.
    I am pleased to introduce this Private Members' Bill. The Bill has one simple aim: to prohibit sulky racing where no lawful permission has been granted. The primary motivation behind it is to address the growing health and safety concerns not only for the public but also for the horses and young passengers concerned. Recently we heard how a heavily pregnant woman was driven off the road after encountering a sulky race between Mallow and Cork on a Sunday morning as she travelled to work. We also read about the tragic case which led to the death in February 2016 in Clondalkin of Seán Doyle aged just 12, God rest him. Seán was thrown under a truck after being involved in a sulky accident and his own family have said they hope stronger regulations can prevent further loss of life.
    The Bill essentially seeks to address some of the deficiencies in existing law. Currently, it is very much a matter for local authority by-laws. Indeed, my county, Tipperary, and the adjoining counties of Kilkenny, Limerick and Waterford all have different by-laws. They are all over the place. They have proven utterly insufficient to grapple with the scale of the problem. We need a national and unified approach. My Bill will grant local authorities all the powers necessary to enforce this law, and those found in breach of the law could potentially face a €5,000 fine or a term of imprisonment not exceeding six years.
    https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/2018-01-31/17/

Of course it does. That’s exactly why the Limerick bye laws were required.

Show me where the legislation distinguishes.

As already explained additional proposed laws/legislation are to bolster existing laws. For example being a spectator of a sulky race will be punishable. Your Limerick Post article states as much.

Show me where the legislation distinguishes.

As already explained additional proposed laws/legislation are to bolster existing laws. For example being a spectator of a sulky race will be punishable. Your Limerick Post article states as much.

It does but it also states that they would ‘outlaw the races on public roads unless special advance permission has been granted by the authorities’ - so they are clearly NOT outlawed on those public roads.

Again:
    Currently, it is very much a matter for local authority by-laws.

It does but it also states that they would ‘outlaw the races on public roads unless special advance permission has been granted by the authorities’ - so they are clearly NOT outlawed on those public roads.

Again:

We're going around in circles here. They already require permission, as I've stated several times. Without permission they're illegal. I've quoted the legislation.

If you read Mattie's actual private member's bill, he is proposing making anyone involved in sulky racing (without permission), from organising to spectating, guilty of a crime.

https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/bill/2018/12/eng/initiated/b1218d.pdf

I'm still waiting on you to show me where the legislation distinguishes between local authority/NRA maintained roads.

We're going around in circles here. They already require permission, as I've stated several times. Without permission they're illegal.

If you read Mattie's actual private member's bill, he is proposing making anyone involved in sulky racing, from organising to spectating guilty of a crime.

https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/bill/2018/12/eng/initiated/b1218d.pdf

I'm still waiting on you to show me where the legislation distinguishes between local authority/NRA maintained roads.

If YOU read what he said:
    The Bill has one simple aim: to prohibit sulky racing where no lawful permission has been granted.

And
    Currently, it is very much a matter for local authority by-laws. Indeed, my county, Tipperary, and the adjoining counties of Kilkenny, Limerick and Waterford all have different by-laws. They are all over the place. They have proven utterly insufficient to grapple with the scale of the problem. We need a national and unified approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

If the races were well organised and held in a proper venue the gov. could sell tickets, alcohol etc. A day out sort of like a fair day. Would be a bit of a tourism boost, generate some revenue.

If YOU read what he said:

And
    2. A person shall not organise or cause or permit to take place any performance involving—
    (a) sulky-racing,

Is new.

Alastair, you're a spoofer.

I've already shown conclusively road racing without permission is illegal. I've also shown conclusively that proposed laws/legislation are specifically aimed others involved in sulky racing (without permission), not just the racers.

I'm still waiting on you to show me where the legislation distinguishes between local authority/NRA maintained roads?

I've proved my point, so I'm not going to engage with you any further on this topic.

If the races were well organised and held in a proper venue the gov. could sell tickets, alcohol etc. A day out sort of like a fair day. Would be a bit of a tourism boost, generate some revenue.

When I was young and into fast cars (about 20 years ago) we used to beat the living day lights out of cars in Mondello. Cost a few quid but everyone was safe and no one was inconvenienced.

Is new.

Alastair, you're a spoofer.

I've already shown conclusively road racing without permission is illegal. I've also shown conclusively that proposed laws/legislation are specifically aimed others involved in sulky racing (without permission), not just the racers.

I'm still waiting on you to show me where the legislation distinguishes between local authority/NRA maintained roads?

I've proved my point, so I'm not going to engage with you any further on this topic.

I’ve shown you that the need for local legislation on sulky racing is not merely confined to spectators, but to the banning of the race itself, on public roads, without permission. As made clear by the man introducing the proposed national bill.
    I am pleased to introduce this Private Members' Bill. The Bill has one simple aim: to prohibit sulky racing where no lawful permission has been granted.
    Definitions
    1. In this Act—
    “sulky-racing” means the racing of a horse-drawn vehicle on any road under local authority jurisdiction.

Prohibition of Sulky-Racing
    2. A person shall not organise or cause or permit to take place any performance involving—
    (a) sulky-racing,
    (b) riding or attempting to ride an animal which, by the use of any appliance horse drawn carriage, is or has been stimulated with the intention of making it race

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

It is not a motorway but it is a 3 lane road which is the main artery into dublin from Cork and Limerick. The road was being completely blocked by these idiots. Imagine coming up behind that with a very sick child or family member and you trying to get to a hospital in Dublin.
    Whether you believe this was legal or not I highly doubt the garda would be content to let this take place where they effectively shut down the busiest road in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

That is the current situation. Many travelers would be renting land.

Hahahahahahaha, good one!

But, that’s not what the ethnic minority wants. They want to run illegal races where they want, when they want without a care for who may be inconvenienced along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The revenue might want a cut of the large wads of cash that change hands after these races then :)

Another one on the N3 this morning. Probably won’t make the news again when it’s not disrupting anyone in Kulderrrrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Originally Posted by the purple tin View Post

there is organized sulky racing

there is organized sulky racing

pretty sure some travelers are into it too

I told ya they was good!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,836 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Another one on the N3 this morning. Probably won’t make the news again when it’s not disrupting anyone in Kulderrrrr.

Did Starlight win?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

mfceiling wrote: »
    It is not a motorway but it is a 3 lane road which is the main artery into dublin from Cork and Limerick. The road was being completely blocked by these idiots. Imagine coming up behind that with a very sick child or family member and you trying to get to a hospital in Dublin.
    Whether you believe this was legal or not I highly doubt the garda would be content to let this take place where they effectively shut down the busiest road in the country.

Anybody else watching the video clip of the incident hoping some of the dumb fcuks would fall out of the cars in front?

Piles of crimes committed in that clip.

• Advertisement

**** cars! GIMMIE SULKY RACING!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement