Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers close down motorway to race horses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Lol, comparing "proper" racing with horses from fancy stables with bloodlines to something run by pavees on the public roads with glue factory standard nags.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Lol, comparing "proper" racing with horses from fancy stables with bloodlines to something run by pavees on the public roads with glue factory standard nags.

THESE ARE TRAVELERS
    I keep telling you its impressive.

Its called the painted mile. Its for paints only. travelers love paints see ...they only started it about 9 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

THESE ARE TRAVELERS

No, they are not. 100%. Your posts are fairly ridiculous on this thread. Like the lads moaning about lack of motocross tracks when some scummer has his quad taken off him in Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1231618165999898632

:D:D:D:D:D

They got one of them.

Shockingly the vehicle was not all in order...

No, they are not. 100%. Your posts are fairly ridiculous on this thread. Like the lads moaning about lack of motocross tracks when some scummer has his quad taken off him in Tallaght.

Yes they are 100%. Travelers do take part in harness racing on tracks in this country.

Also half of those involved in road sulky racing are settled people.

I am telling you those horses, those drivers are talented. You don't get that without years of training. I know what i am talking about.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/features/sulky-racing-time-to-find-a-legal-solution-358729.html
    Most people contend it is exclusive to Travellers, but Ireland’s Sulky Racers disproves that. About half of those involved in road racing are from a settled background. Their preference for trotting on back roads and dual carriageways often lands them in trouble. Horse owners and drivers have also faced a public backlash following accusations of animal mistreatment and cruelty.

I would say there is a huge cross over between those road races and the track races.

• Advertisement

Did Starlight win?

No, I lost a tenner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1231618165999898632

:D:D:D:D:D

They got one of them.

Shockingly the vehicle was not all in order...

Get out of here.:eek::p

By the way its done all over the world

Italy. Its not just an irish thing to race on roads.

Its road trotting racing ....all pacers from what i can see ..no harness racing tho

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Yes they are 100%. Travelers do take part in harness racing on tracks in this country.

Also half of those involved in road sulky racing are settled people.

Are you the same person who blamed Amish and settled people for dumping at halting sites?

I won't be engaging with you again as I see no point trying to debate nonsense, so don't bother answering, it was rhetorical.

• Advertisement

Sulky racing Italy again. Come tell me its all travelers ...come tell me i havent a clue etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Are you the same person who blamed Amish and settled people for dumping at halting sites?

I won't be engaging with you again as I see no point trying to debate nonsense, so don't bother answering, it was rhetorical.

I forget who it was with the Amish thing but it was Joeytheparrot a moderator who said it was settled people dumping rubbish on halting sites.:D

No...what???

Clearly you know nothing about horses. I won't be engaging with you again.

Sulky road racing is HUGE world wide. In the US in Italy in France and Norway.

I don't know anything about halting sites etc.

I just know that some of these videos show well trained horses with good drivers. They look like standard breds.

They are not the cobs with the weird conformations i see in rescue shelters.

I am sure there are bad apples in this past time. But its a shame people often have no clue what they are talking about. Partic some animal rights people.

I also think there is a lot of bigotry ..and self hatred of Irish people. I don't know how many times i hear 'Ireland is ****e for animals etc'.

People are quick to judge but slow to catch on.

I forget who it was with the Amish thing but it was Joeytheparrot a moderator who said it was settled people dumping rubbish on halting sites.:D
    And are they?

It's a lot of settled people's horses who end up in rescues too tbh.

title says fullbred ...certainly looks like one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Clearly you know nothing about horses. I won't be engaging with you again.

I do. I know quite a lot about horses. I have friends involved in harness racing. I haven't a clue what you're talking about.

I do. I know quite a lot about horses. I have friends involved in harness racing. I haven't a clue what you're talking about.
    No you don't.

I suppose this guy just spent thousands on a fullbred

Or its really just a cob that looks amazing with one in a million conformation!

Gimmie a break.

You realize some of the youtube channels that show sulky road races ..also show going to the track............. from box to track..

If you know about horses ...explain to me why these sulky road racers 'without a clue' have amazing pacers and single footers!?? EXPLAIN THAT ONE!

While all the dumb comments are like ..why can't that horse trot properly!

No you don't.

Don't I? What makes you say that?
    Or its really just a cob that looks amazing with one in a million conformation!

What on earth has this got to do with anything?

If you know about horses ...explain to me why these sulky road racers 'without a clue' have amazing pacers and single footers!?? EXPLAIN THAT ONE!

What on earth are you on about? You've taken the subject way off topic

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

THESE ARE TRAVELERS
    I keep telling you its impressive.

Its called the painted mile. Its for paints only. travelers love paints see ...they only started it about 9 years ago

By the way its done all over the world

Italy. Its not just an irish thing to race on roads.

Its road trotting racing ....all pacers from what i can see ..no harness racing tho

Sulky racing Italy again. Come tell me its all travelers ...come tell me i havent a clue etc.

And are they?

It's a lot of settled people's horses who end up in rescues too tbh.

title says fullbred ...certainly looks like one

What kind of scutter are you talking at all?

Has the issue completely deserted your brain here? They were racing horses on a ****ING MOTORWAY! Travellers are notorious for treating animals like absolute dirt, a moron would understand this. Guess what would happen if one of those horses fell? Take a wild guess? I'll tell you what would happen, they would leave it there to die, they don't give a flying **** about animals. They have lost all empathy for the poor things. That aside, how incredibly dangerous is this? No regard for other road users lives, no regard for the law, no regard for the animals, it's race the horses into the ground for cash, if the animal dies its tough tits.

And yet here you are, the troll of current affairs defending these degenerates. You sicken me.

• Advertisement

Don't I? What makes you say that?

What on earth has this got to do with anything?

DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH A HORSE LIKE THAT WOULD COST???

How many gaited horses do you think are the ones that end up in shelters?

Do you know how much training it takes to GET a gait out of even a naturally gaited horse to that level??

Think about it. That is a lot of talent and skill right there.

DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH A HORSE LIKE THAT WOULD COST???

Yes. As I said, I have friends in the harness racing community and I am heavily involved in horses myself.

However, I also lived in Limerick for several years.

What kind of scutter are you talking at all?

Has the issue completely deserted your brain here? They were racing horses on a ****ING MOTORWAY! Travellers are notorious for treating animals like absolute dirt, a moron would understand this. Guess what would happen if one of those horses fell? Take a wild guess? I'll tell you what would happen, they would leave it there to die, they don't give a flying **** about animals. They have lost all empathy for the poor things. That aside, how incredibly dangerous is this? No regard for other road users lives, no regard for the law, no regard for the animals, it's race the horses into the ground for cash, if the animal dies its tough tits.

And yet here you are, the troll of current affairs defending these degenerates. You sicken me.

I am so so glad i make you sick. I hope to make you sicker yet.
    You are just a bigot why would i care what you say?
    It happens all over the world.

I would say they care a lot of their horses actually.

And the Italians what do you think of them?

And the french and the norwegians? Because they do it too.

Yes. As I said, I have friends in the harness racing community and I am heavily involved in horses myself.

However, I also lived in Limerick for several years.

Then explain how these people have no clue/skill and know nothing hmm?

I won't hold it against you that you are from limerick :pac:

All i can say is ....i just saw the talent and the quality of the horses.

I think others just saw 'TRAVELER' and lost their minds.

Sure ...horses die in horse racing ...harness racing ...im sure they die in sulky racing.

They could all be improved upon. But then TRAVELERS!

Lots of horse die in horse racing ...harness racing etc.

Something like 1500 per year in the uk.

Sanita Park in the US has like 50 horse deaths a year.

I don't get why one is ok and the other isn't.

If you want improve animal welfare i don't think you can be prejudiced.

TBh ban those things ...horse welfare would be much improved in comparison to banning the small few who sulky race. But it brings jobs money ..bleh bleh.

I am not against harness racing or horse racing ...but i am not up my own arse and high and mighty either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Lots of horse die in horse racing ...harness racing etc.

Something like 1500 per year in the uk.

Sanita Park in the US has like 50 horse deaths a year.

If you want improve animal welfare i don't think you can be prejudiced.

None of it is OK.

Horse and dog racing is a cruel cruel sport and it's regulated.

Travellers in an unregulated environment take the cruelty to the next level.

I live in Limerick, I see it all the time. They shouldn't be allowed own animal full stop.

Then explain how these people have no clue/skill and know nothing hmm?

And what would that prove? How exactly is that related to the topic at hand?
    I won't hold it against you that you are from limerick

I'm not from Limerick. I lived in Limerick.

Then that is on you. When you start seeing weanlings in a sulky, when you see blood coming out of the horse's feet from where the shoe was incorrectly nailed on, when you hear of a vet that was threatened at gun point when she came across a horse that was ran into the ground and tried to assist, maybe then you'd understand the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Have any charges been brought over this? Can registrations be made out from the footage?

None of it is OK.

Horse and dog racing is a cruel cruel sport and it's regulated.

Travellers in an unregulated environment take the cruelty to the next level.

I live in Limerick, I see it all the time. They shouldn't be allowed own animal full stop.

I don't really think you see it. I think you think you see it.

I see real travelers. 90% of them seem like normal people.

50% of people who sulky race are settled people anyway.

Why do you think horse racing and dog racing is cruel?

Do you think dressage and showjumping is cruel?

Dressage can give a horse way more injuries than showjumping in some ways. Far more likely to go lame.

• Advertisement

Then that is on you. When you start seeing weanlings in a sulky, when you see blood coming out of the horse's feet from where the shoe was incorrectly nailed on, when you hear of a vet that was threatened at gun point when she came across a horse that was ran into the ground and tried to assist, maybe then you'd understand the difference.

Why not attack THAT instead of travelers and their horses as a whole?
    And what would that prove? How exactly is that related to the topic at hand?

Its entirely relevant to what you have just said.

I doubt you would get any in the videos I posted that would think a weanling is ready to work.

SKILL MEANS EDUCATION.

Most abuse is through LACK of education. Partic the things you have mentioned above. That's all lack of education.

I don't know why YOU can't see the connection between skill knowledge of horses and better treatment of animals. But there you go.

I have also seen shelters where they let people too big for ponies ride them. I have seen animal rights activists complain about crops in a video where foals are tethered and weanlings are being ridden.

But they don't KNOW these things are bad. They think crops are bad.

Its education and skill. And when i see these things ..i usually feel i can trust that person more.

I am sure there are LOTS of people settled and travelers who shouldn't have horses. I don't think i want to promote further hatred of travelers...just because you SAW something bad a traveler did.

I mean if i hated everyone ...because i saw something bad one of their people did ..i would be like hate all people.

Lets hate all men because weinstein.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement