Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do low wage workers manage to live here?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

smurgen wrote: »
    Lol as mobile phones are the new let them eat cake.

It's a race to the bottom. Was a time when people protested at anyone, foreign or domestic, expected to survive on sub-par salaries or in sub-par conditions.
    We have standards hard fought for yet if people are exploited they are to be commended and anyone who refuses to be exploited is a waster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭feelthepower

Easy, If you getting 1600 euro a month as a single person and renting a shared room for 500 a month that still leaves you with 1100 a month to live off.

You mightn't enjoy a fantastic life and have to live frugally but you will survive.

Even if you rent a room for 700 that leaves you with maybe 750 a month to live off after bills.

It's doable but your basically working just to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject71

It boils down to living within your means. I live in a mobile home beside the stables I work at. And since I took that, I make slightly less than my co-workers. Which is fair to me.If do most of my shopping in Lidl which sees me through payday to payday. Plus some of my wages I give to my daughter. And I save a few euro each week for things I eventually want. You can make it work but at times it is a struggle and I don't have claims to your welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

SusieBlue wrote: »
    That's not a very accurate representation of your average low paid worker.
    The ones who are getting the council houses with low rent, one parent family, full medical cards etc are the ones who aren't even working because it isn't worth their while. They are financially better off not bothering.

The baristas, waitresses, retail workers etc. are absolutely struggling and they are entitled to little to no government help.

So, you honestly really think that the people in receipt of social welfare payments and full medical cards that most do it out of choice because there's no point financially?

No, half if not most are just lazy and have been brought up that way.

Yes there are plenty of genuine cases with kids at home etc and it's more feasible for them to stay home.

But there is an awful lot, or way too many, living on jobseekers for fifteen years because they are lazy, then their whole family does the same. Living on a payment that's only meant to be a temporary support when you're in between jobs. Disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

So, you honestly really think that the people in receipt of social welfare payments and full medical cards that most do it out of choice because there's no point financially?

No, half if not most are just lazy and have been brought up that way.

Yes there are plenty of genuine cases with kids at home etc and it's more feasible for them to stay home.

But there is an awful lot, or way too many, living on jobseekers for fifteen years because they are lazy, then their whole family does the same. Living on a payment that's only meant to be a temporary support when you're in between jobs. Disgraceful.

Yes, exactly my point, they don't work because its not worth it for them to do so. They don't work because if they did they'd lose their medical cards, the One Parent Family (the income threshold is quite low) and they'd be less likely to be prioritised for a council house.
    The thread is about low paid workers and how to they survive on such a low wage, most of the people working full time for a low wage aren't entitled to hardly any government support.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lonesomerhodes

GreeBo wrote: »
    They take the jobs that the unemployed Irish are too good to take.
    They dont try to live in expensive, highly desirable areas.
    They dont have new cars, fancy mobile phones, go on the piss every weekend and take sun holidays.

Don't get this stupid argument jobs Irish won't do like what exactly?.

Met Irish toilet cleaners, workmen, drain cleaners, petrol station workers, warehouse operatives, dog walkers, night porters.

What exactly are these jobs Irish people refuse point blank to ever do?. Can you explain to me please bearing in mind I have met irish people who are working doing the lowest paid and menial jobs.

Personally think it's utter nonsense and a politically correct statement that has no bearing in reality whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Helgagirl

I am new to Boards and I am disgusted by the opinion some people have here that people living in social housing do not work. There is definitely some people who try to get every allowance going, but you can't just make a sweeping judgement on everyone who lives in social housing. My family live in social housing, my husband works, ( I stay home to care for my autistic teenager) His wages are nowhere near 50K a year. Also I would love to get one of these social houses that cost just over 100 euros a month, because I would love to live in one! Rent is based on the income of the household principal earner, 15% and a further charge of 21 euro for each other earner, up to 84 euros. Because my teenager has turned 18 there has been an additional charge added to the rent for them, even though they have no income, just because as the DCC says 'they could apply for jobseekers allowance' This might be why people are pushed into applying for allowances! My child has problems with extreme anxiety due to their autism which caused chronic daily migraine syndrome with vertigo, and couldn't even finish secondary school because of it, never mind be able to find a job! Also in relation to rental arrears for social housing, due to the Council assessing our rent incorrectly we find ourselves in arrears, which wasn't our fault. Maybe some people deliberately don't bother to pay their rents, but it's not everyone. I do agree that private rents are scandalous, and I also wonder how people can survive on minimum wage. Neither my husband nor myself drink or smoke, and it's a struggle every week to pay all our bills that are due. It's embarrassing when there are Communions, Confirmations, or birthdays and you feel it's either pay your electricity for this week or buy a present for your family member. Maybe if there was more social housing the people on lower incomes could avail of these, and then there wouldn't be such a demand on the private sector, and so this would mean the landlords wouldn't have such scope to charge massive amounts for their properties. I understand people are fed up with having to pay large amounts of rent for their homes, and agree it is unfair, but please stop bashing other people who are just trying to get by and not exactly living lives of luxury just because they have social housing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

You know why there's no more social housing is because most of the existing ones are in arrears.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Helgagirl

vriesmays wrote: »
    You know why there's no more social housing is because most of the existing ones are in arrears.

I have lived in my current home since 1979 when my parents first received this house because where we previously lived was taken over by DCC by compulsory purchase, and this is the first time we have ever been in arrears. Any time there was a difference in rent it was paid straight away after yearly P60 etc. was updated. After both my parents died, my husband and I took over tenancy of the house and it is due to DCC making mistake in assessing our income that these arrears have occurred which I only found out about a few weeks ago, much to my devastation, during yearly update of income etc. When we took over tenancy the details of our income were given to DCC and someone there messed up on the figures. Also after my father died when I informed them that I no longer had carer's allowance for taking care of him, they messed up on that figure as well. Not our fault!!! I only realised this when I tried to find out why there was on arrears as I just paid what DCC said was due every week. We are currently struggling to pay off what is due, as we have always paid our rent and due to paying for therapy for my autistic teenager we are strapped for cash, otherwise these arrears would have been paid straight away. If you actually read what I posted originally you would see that I stated it was not our fault, and you don't realise the stress owing anything to DCC has caused me. Like I said earlier not every one who lives in social housing is standing with their hand out, but trying to get by in life as best they can!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

The anger on Boards is due to the fact that people are being incentivised to game the welfare system.
    There will come a point, if taxes are raised, that working stiffs decide, rationally, to say f**k it.
    I am talking about middle earners of 40 - 70K
    Theres no point going out to work each day, when this is whats going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

smurgen wrote: »
    Lol as mobile phones are the new let them eat cake.

€1000 phones are, you can get a smart phone for €100 if you wanted to, but no, the poor Irish welfare family all need to have iPhones for some reaosn.

Met Irish toilet cleaners, workmen, drain cleaners, petrol station workers, warehouse operatives, dog walkers, night porters.

What exactly are these jobs Irish people refuse point blank to ever do?. Can you explain to me please bearing in mind I have met irish people who are working doing the lowest paid and menial jobs.

Personally think it's utter nonsense and a politically correct statement that has no bearing in reality whatsoever.

Ah, so because you have met 1 then it means its all made up fantasy?

If Irish people were willing to take these jobs rather than take welfare, then we wouldnt have so many foreigners taking the jobs OR so many Irish people on welfare.

Why are there Irish people claiming the dole when there are jobs advertised for kitchen porters and other low paid jobs probably within 1 mile of the dole office?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Cleaners, cooks, chefs, waiters, baristas?
    Esp in Dublin.

If people on decent wages, even doctors struggle with accom, I can't understand how they get by?

Chefs get around 800 per week.

Actually i waited tables i got 500 a week. It was full time though.

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Ur dead right, they exist rather than live. Can't be having fukn fancy phones or sunny holidays!

No, not if you cant afford them you cant.

Why is this surprising to you? People cant afford things that they literally cannot afford. Ah, is it because of a sense of entitlement to everything that everyone else has perhaps?

I never said that , there are a tiny amount as a percentage of people unwilling to work

Why should there be any of them unwilling to work yet in receipt of social welfare?

If Irish people were willing to take these jobs rather than take welfare, then we wouldnt have so many foreigners taking the jobs OR so many Irish people on welfare.

Why are there Irish people claiming the dole when there are jobs advertised for kitchen porters and other low paid jobs probably within 1 mile of the dole office?

We have nearly full employment. There are very few people on welfare.

Fantastic.
    But why are these very few people who are capable of working not working when we have minimum wage jobs waiting to be filled?
    Why instead are they in receipt of welfare?
    If everyone on a minimum wage decided not to bother and instead get a state handout then what would unemployment figures look like?

Fantastic.
    But why are these very few people who are capable of working not working when we have minimum wage jobs waiting to be filled?
    If everyone on a minimum wage decided not to bother and instead get a state handout then what would unemployment figures look like?
    Would it not be more likely they are genuinely between jobs or really unable to currently work?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Why should there be any of them unwilling to work yet in receipt of social welfare?

In practical terms it can be very difficult to take up available jobs in Los of cases. If you are living in a rural area where there aren't many jobs then it would necessitate a move to whether they're are such as Dublin.

That's fine until you look into the financial aspects such as funding that move, even if you can find somewhere to live, do you have money or get money to pay deposit etc.

The DSP provides facilities for extraneous payments for hardship, but no mechanism to say, lend money to people who might need to take up a job this way. It just makes it easier to stay getting paid the dole when it could lend money to front to people moving to find a job that gets paid back from earnings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lonesomerhodes

Met more than one, and you think there are no immigrants on the dole?. :rolleyes:

I doubt their are numerous jobs advertised that are within 1 mile squared off dole offices in places like Offaly,Carlow,Westmeath.

You can talk of your experience I talk of mine, never met anyone CHOOSES the dole over a job if the job is economically viable.

It's a myth.

Also yet to meet folk living it up on €198 a week.

This crap Irish won't do this and that.

It's all nonsense, no basis in reality at all.

Politically correct claptrap.

• Advertisement

Met more than one, and you think there are no immigrants on the dole?. :rolleyes:

I doubt their are numerous jobs advertised that are within 1 mile squared off dole offices in places like Offaly,Carlow,Westmeath.

You can talk of your experience I talk of mine, never met anyone CHOOSES the dole over a job if the job is economically viable.

It's a myth.

Also yet to meet folk living it up on €198 a week.

This crap Irish won't do this and that.

It's all nonsense, no basis in reality at all.

Politically correct claptrap.

Ah economically viable.
    Who gets to choose which lifestyle needs to be supported by the job?
    My job wouldn't be economically viable if I had 7 kids either.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭parttime

I've been a chef for more years than I care to remember, and I never got even close to 800 a week. It's just nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Not all Irish people, sure. But there are people from Brazil and China who come to Ireland with minimal language skills (at least at first), few or no contacts, and any of whose educational qualifications are probably not recognised here, and they manage to find jobs. And yet there are able-bodied unemployed Irish people, native English-speakers, presumably knowing a few people who could get them a start somewhere, and they can't find a job? It genuinely beggars belief.

Sometimes boards makes me laugh. 50K a low salary!
    For every 10 people I know, I'd say around 8 or even 9 are on less than 50K.
    50K is higher than the national average wage.
    A wage that is already completely distorted by top earners.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Fantastic.

Those few people are travellers and dole lifers, it's bred into them because their parents never worked so they see welfare as their weekly income.

Most of them are skangers so they are basically unemployable, sure why would an employer bother with the hassle of trying to get them to do anything even if they were to look for a job (which they won't) when the next candidate for interview is an EE with a good work ethic and attitude.

They are a minority but not much can be done about them unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

parttime wrote: »
    I've been a chef for more years than I care to remember, and I never got even close to 800 a week. It's just nonsense

Are you talking take home or gross?

I'm friends with a few chefs taking home around that.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭parttime

I mean either!
    Some chefs get paid well, most dont

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

The landlords almost never organise these, most often the landlord believes a couple has rented a 1-2 bed and come back to find their furniture has been sold and replaced by bunk beds, the original tenants nowhere to be seen except coming back to collect rent off 8-10 other people on a friday

My wifes uncle had this happen.
    He had a 4 bed house in west dublin, rented to a "doctor" and his family. (he's got a few houses).
    Rent was coming in, and every quarter he'd do his usual check, he was in the area one day unplanned and went to the house.
    17 people living in it.
    the initial renter was making a tidy profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Benefits benefits benefits. The welfare state . That’s why there are so many wasters in this country who have never worked a day in their life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

except for 62% of the housing list who are only on welfare...

Advertisement