Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Card Machine

Options
  • 20-02-2020 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭

Hi

We are looking to get a card machine for our shop.

So a lot of face to face transactions.

I inquired about getting a machine from AIB, BOI, Elavon, An Post & Sage.

I was wondering does anyone know who is the best and who to avoid.

BOI is out of the question at they take 3 days to settle transaction if we don't bank with them which we don't.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

If you search the forum this gets asked every couple of months. It really comes down to volume and what your ATV is. Basically the higher your volume the better your options!

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭heffo500

thank for the response, I read a few there but some are quite dated. Is there a comparison website?

Theres a lot of sites that do that if you give it a google. I would imagine they all suggest which ever they get the best commission from though. Best thing to do is to probably read through a few reviews and then ask the ones you like for a quote based on what you are going to process and then ask if they have any businesses that use them in the area so you can ask a customer what they are like. We switched recently and it's not been smooth sailing. We always keep an izettle as back up though always worth having one of those app payment devices just in case your main machine has an off day.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭heffo500

Yeah I'll keep getting quotes and comparing.

I was mainly looking at AIB and Anpost. An post seems cheaper at the start but once three year contract is over I think AIB is cheaper but if the machines breaks afterwards I would have to buy a new one or enter into another contract.

If you're doing enough volume then they'll probably be more than happy to replace it for you if you are out of contract unless you're getting the system integrated into your POS they know how easy it is to change and how much competition is out there these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Currently Payzone is one of the better options. Now owned by AIB.

Machine rental €20 and commissions quite low.

Debit card commissions should be under 0.4% (cheaper than lodging cash), credit card commissions should be under 1%.

If decent (over 500k) card turnover, expect lower rates, but even small volume should get you above rates.

Exaggerate your average transaction a bit - they want to see the potential for €25-€30 average transaction for above rates. Maybe suggest you are looking at an additional location too :)

Money in your account the next morning.

Advertisement