Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vue or React?

Options
  • 20-02-2020 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

I am coming towards the end of a contract. I am churning out full stack work which are primarily web applications. I like the work and all is good however it looks like the contract is coming to an end. Unfortunately aside form a couple of brief dalliances with ExtJS and AngularJS (angular 1). I've been hanging my hat on good old JQuery. It has been ideal for the rapid prototyping I have been required to do. Now I need to up skill.

The 3 big seem to be Angular, React and Vue. I have edged towards React and Vue because I like the option of simultaneously upskilling in writing native phone apps with either React native or Vue native.

Work wise there seems to be a lot of React jobs out there, however in Cork where I am based there is quiet a few companies using vue as well.

Learning curve I have a feeling vue might be a little easier. I like how it ties in to the html, reacts xjs frightens me a little.

I suppose the main considerations are -
    • job prospects
    • learning curve
    • longevity - which looks more likely to stick around. Having for burnt with ExtJS and Angular 1 I want to back the right horse this time

Any advice or thoughts much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I'd probably suggest React, for better job prospects. The community is bigger and a bit more mature (been around longer). There's a wealth of tools, including ReactNative as you mention.

Vue is easier to get up and running with though.

No harm in having a look over both of them, to be honest. They both, along with Angluar (2+), fall under the "modern JavaScript" umbrella and there would be plenty of transferable knowledge.

dahayeser wrote: »
    I have edged towards React and Vue because I like the option of simultaneously upskilling in writing native phone apps with either React native or Vue native.

As an aside, there is also NativeScript (https://www.nativescript.org) which would be similar in concept to ReactNative and allows you to build native mobile apps with Angular (or Vue, or vanilla JS).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

React. It's the biggest and I don't see that changing. We've reached a level of maturity where things are stable now.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Computer Science Student

I would go for Angular 2 if you have a choice. React has it's benefits but it is ultimately trash like most js libraries.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

I would go for Angular 2 if you have a choice. React has it's benefits but it is ultimately trash like most js libraries.

Re-read that last sentence and see if you can see the problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I'm just going to have to assume that's some parody account coming out with statements like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

As long as you know Javascript you'll be fine with any of them, React in my experience of working with it is, just HTML in Javascript, Vue is just HTML with added annotations and javascript.

End of the day all of them do the same thing.

In my current position our main desktop app is written in VueJS and our mobile is written in React Native so tis nice to mix :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

As long as you know Javascript you'll be fine with any of them, React in my experience of working with it is, just HTML in Javascript, Vue is just HTML with added annotations and javascript.

End of the day all of them do the same thing.

In my current position our main desktop app is written in VueJS and our mobile is written in React Native so tis nice to mix :)

You'd usually combine React with something like Redux though and there's a steep enough learning curve to that. The templating stuff in React is easy though and very similar to Angular.

Advertisement