Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant and looking for work

Options
  • 20-02-2020 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I would like to have some feedback from people who have been in the same situation: I am currently 4 months pregnant, and I am looking for work. I wish I could just wait until the baby comes but in my current situation, it would be extremely hard as our budget is tight.
    I have had a few interviews and hopefully managed to hide my small bump. I am preferably looking for a permanent position as I think it wouldn't be fair on the employer to accept a contract knowing I won't be able to complete it before going on a leave. But at the same time given the job market, I see a lot of contract positions... So I don't know what to do.
    Have any of you been in this situation before? If I am getting an offer, I am not sure if I should wait to sign contracts and tell them, or wait to be on the jobs for a few days first, or maybe tell them when they make the offer. I really don't want to be dishonest, but at the same time I really need a job.
    If anyone has any experience they're willing to share, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Nickibaby*

Annonn wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I would like to have some feedback from people who have been in the same situation: I am currently 4 months pregnant, and I am looking for work. I wish I could just wait until the baby comes but in my current situation, it would be extremely hard as our budget is tight.
    I have had a few interviews and hopefully managed to hide my small bump. I am preferably looking for a permanent position as I think it wouldn't be fair on the employer to accept a contract knowing I won't be able to complete it before going on a leave. But at the same time given the job market, I see a lot of contract positions... So I don't know what to do.
    Have any of you been in this situation before? If I am getting an offer, I am not sure if I should wait to sign contracts and tell them, or wait to be on the jobs for a few days first, or maybe tell them when they make the offer. I really don't want to be dishonest, but at the same time I really need a job.
    If anyone has any experience they're willing to share, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

I don't have any experience with this as luckily enough I'm in a permanent position with maternity leave however if I was in your position I would attend the interviews and not disclose the pregnancy, you are under no obligation to do so. If you do get the job I'd tell them when you are ready. You are only obliged to tell them 15 weeks before you are due to go on leave.

Ideally or course a permanent position would be great but unlikely you will be eligible to get maternity pay through your contract (most have clause you need to be with the company for 1 year etc) so I'd definitely apply for fixed term contracts also. Good luck with the job hunting and pregnancy!

Advertisement