Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to fix antisocial areas

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Lc2020

Pronto63 wrote: »
    Workers won’t have feral offspring running amuck!

Brilliant, it's funny how everyone is trying to distance themselves from an issue that their son/daughter may very well be implicit in. Did you ever just stop and think for a second that maybe you're part of the problem. Or does that not fit with your narrative. The classism here is quite concerning really

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Look at the damage done to our economy and society by some of the big wig bankers living in places like Foxrock and Malahide. Now that's real anti social behaviour. Disgraceful. Let's tar everyone living in those areas because of the actions of a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭con747

Go back to being allowed give your kids a kick up the arse and a slap on the back of the head for being a little shi*head. No respect or manners on kids these days from all backgrounds.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭J_1980

Lc2020 wrote: »
    Making sweeping unsubstantiated claims like that only serves to demonstrate how deluded you really are.

If the free stuff was really and truly there for the taking, we wouldn't be at full employment. So try use your brain next time you comment maybe?

Full employment - Oh really?
    https://www.thejournal.ie/jobless-households-3832381-Feb2018/

“ALMOST ONE IN six Irish households has no adults of working age in employment, according to the Department of Social Protection.

A jobless household is one where no adult in the household it working, it excludes households made up completely of students or adults over 65.”

Well anyway the bill will come when the truly unemployed (losing their jobs) get added to the dole. €160bn of new debt in the last recession - 40bn for the banks and no one asks about the other €120bn??

Next recession?: Without much room for tax increases (lpt, usc, highest marginal tax rate in eurozone, highest vat already introduced) times will be funny 😆 Most Irish people are totally oblivious to what’s coming. We shall see.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Enter name here

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Look at the damage done to our economy and society by some of the big wig bankers living in places like Foxrock and Malahide. Now that's real anti social behaviour. Disgraceful. Let's tar everyone living in those areas because of the actions of a few.

And if we were allowed to fence off Malahide and make it a gated community we would. The only trouble we have is from visiting snot nosed teenagers who copy their parents behaviour from neighbouring social estates.

• Advertisement

And if we were allowed to fence off Malahide and make it a gated community we would. The only trouble we have is from visiting snot nosed teenagers who copy their parents behaviour from neighbouring social estates.

Course you've questioned them all and know they all are from social housing.

Funny that the only serious trouble we've ever had in our estate was a 17yo from Ballsbridge stab a local lad at his front door in front of his 7 year old sister.

Maybe we should fence our estate off from visiting snot nosed teenagers who copy their parents behaviour from neighbouring private estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Enter name here

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Course you've questioned them all and know they all are from social housing.

Funny that the only serious trouble we've ever had in our estate was a 17yo from Ballsbridge stab a local lad at his front door in front of his 7 year old sister.

Maybe we should fence our estate off from visiting snot nosed teenagers who copy their parents behaviour from neighbouring private estates.

In fairness that teenager from Ballsbridge was from part of the mandatory 10% social housing on all new builds. Nice try though.

Although we would be happy to fund your fence if you wish to turn your estate into a private estate, although we would likely retain the key and only allow you out under strict supervision.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Vivienne23

Ok first thing is there should be no one collecting any sort of social welfare without doing something for society ( unless of course for the disabled , sick or elderly )

I often see our local council workers out collecting rubbish on the roads etc , this should be done by dole workers , and I don’t mean it should be all this kind of work it could be cleaning up local amenities if it was only for 2/3 hours a day , everyone has to be at work for 8am and failure to show up dole gone ,

For the housing part there’s local social estates and I wouldn’t take a present of a house in them , everyone on top of everyone’s business but they literally spend all day just hanging around until dole day , I know of a couple of hardworking young couples who would gladly rent these houses with them but you haven’t a hope against the dolers ,

It all comes back to working , if your willing to work and can work the state should look after you as best they can but if you do not contribute to society you should get absolutely nothing that wouldn’t be long getting the message through ! And if your contributing to society you won’t have time for anti social behaviour

Vivienne23 wrote: »
    Ok first thing is there should be no one collecting any sort of social welfare without doing something for society ( unless of course for the disabled , sick or elderly )

I often see our local council workers out collecting rubbish on the roads etc , this should be done by dole workers , and I don’t mean it should be all this kind of work it could be cleaning up local amenities if it was only for 2/3 hours a day , everyone has to be at work for 8am and failure to show up dole gone ,

For the housing part there’s local social estates and I wouldn’t take a present of a house in them , everyone on top of everyone’s business but they literally spend all day just hanging around until dole day , I know of a couple of hardworking young couples who would gladly rent these houses with them but you haven’t a hope against the dolers ,

It all comes back to working , if your willing to work and can work the state should look after you as best they can but if you do not contribute to society you should get absolutely nothing that wouldn’t be long getting the message through ! And if your contributing to society you won’t have time for anti social behaviour

So what does any of this have to do with anti social behavior?

bubblypop wrote: »
    So what does any of this have to do with anti social behavior?

Read the last line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Kav_Piero

It's impossible to fix in my opinion, teenagers in my area have no respect for anything and do not fear the law. I regularly hear people using the excuse of "there's nothing for them to do, we need more amenities in the area" It's absolute nonsense scum will always be scum.

For example we have a few football pitches in the area which are used by 4 or 5 local football teams, it offers a perfect opportunity for youngsters to keep busy by joining a team, it will improve their mental and physical health and will likely reduce their chances of getting into trouble. The goal mouth of these pitches have been set on fire numerous times in the last year. It's always going to be a mentality issue not an area issue.

Read the last line

Rubbish
    Your whole post was about people on the dole.
    Anti social behavior happens everywhere

In fairness that teenager from Ballsbridge was from part of the mandatory 10% social housing on all new builds. Nice try though.

Although we would be happy to fund your fence if you wish to turn your estate into a private estate, although we would likely retain the key and only allow you out under strict supervision.

No if you can just hang a bell around your neck to warn others you are coming that would be wonderful although being from Malahide we'll most likely hear you first, roight.

Turns out the chap from Ballsbridge went to a private school. It's okay though mammy and daddy got him a good lawyer and he paid a fine and promised to be a good boy to mommy.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Standards of civility on this thread are below par, and if they continue there will be more action taken than the basic post editing done so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

I always have to laugh when people come up with these strategies. If it was up to me I'd.... and then its something so simplistic and unworkable it's clear they have no clue about the issue.

First of all, do you realize having the unemployed 'work for their dole' would completely undercut waged work, making the minimum wage irrelevant? Think about it.

Your strategy is to replace council workers with those on the dole. Great job. Guess the council workers will have to do what then? Go on the dole? And then what, do their old job for way less money. Honestly, think it through a bit further.

Btw, there are loads of CE scheme workers already doing cleaning and landscaping of estates ,but it's voluntary and they get 20 euro on top of the dole. We also have people who do litter cleanup for community service. So take that on board - we have council workers, CE scheme and community service already doing this.

You don't have any real insight to this issue, you're just a dole basher. Otherwise you would suggest linking people to actual paid work. But you want to force them to pick up rubbish on the road, because you want to punish them, not help them. What if they are educated and trained for a professional field but unable to get work in it, why should they be made to pick up litter, how is that helping anyone?

You need to cop on in more ways than one I'm afraid.

First thing to consider is whether the system actually wants to fix these issues at all. Without the riffraff in the district courts, where would the wages for the solicitors, cops, judges etc come from? The solicitors get the legal aid money, the courts get heaps of money from fines.

I live in a council estate where the worst criminal in it is on disability for epilepsy. So how do you implement your genius system in a case like that, you can't force them to work and can't take away their payment under those circumstances.

Stop thinking that the reason these problems continue to fester is because there hasnt been someone as smart or as tough as you who has come along and tried to fix them. I can assure you that is not the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Limit social housing and HAP rentals so that no more than 10% total of an estate can be either , calling the gardai and tusla often , for every crime, letting little billy spray paint walls at 12 and letting his ma not give a sh*t is how you get 18 year old billy the car thieving drug dealer.

Space out social housing and stagger age profiles, if there isnt a gang of kids all becoming teens around the same time the problems will be less.

Limit the amount of lone parents that can be in the social mix of any estate.

Reform laws to cut off child benefit if your child isnt attending school 95% of the time, remove misbehaving tenants from social housing if theres more than 5 incidents of the gardai called in any 5 year period.

I always have to laugh when people come up with these strategies. If it was up to me I'd.... and then its something so simplistic and unworkable it's clear they have no clue about the issue.

First of all, do you realize having the unemployed 'work for their dole' would completely undercut waged work, making the minimum wage irrelevant? Think about it.

Your strategy is to replace council workers with those on the dole. Great job. Guess the council workers will have to do what then? Go on the dole? And then what, do their old job for way less money. Honestly, think it through a bit further.

Btw, there are loads of CE scheme workers already doing cleaning and landscaping of estates ,but it's voluntary and they get 20 euro on top of the dole. We also have people who do litter cleanup for community service. So take that on board - we have council workers, CE scheme and community service already doing this.

You don't have any real insight to this issue, you're just a dole basher. Otherwise you would suggest linking people to actual paid work. But you want to force them to pick up rubbish on the road, because you want to punish them, not help them. What if they are educated and trained for a professional field but unable to get work in it, why should they be made to pick up litter, how is that helping anyone?

You need to cop on in more ways than one I'm afraid.

First thing to consider is whether the system actually wants to fix these issues at all. Without the riffraff in the district courts, where would the wages for the solicitors, cops, judges etc come from? The solicitors get the legal aid money, the courts get heaps of money from fines.

I live in a council estate where the worst criminal in it is on disability for epilepsy. So how do you implement your genius system in a case like that, you can't force them to work and can't take away their payment under those circumstances.

Stop thinking that the reason these problems continue to fester is because there hasnt been someone as smart or as tough as you who has come along and tried to fix them. I can assure you that is not the reason.

Agreed I am a dolebasher 100% ,

I did exclude the sick , of course the sick, elderly disabled should get help,

Don't worry about the council workers jobs, plenty of jobs for the boys

Couldn't care less about solicitors etc

Can't find work in your field, find a different field or emigrate just do something

CE schemes are brilliant ! I'm glad they get the extra €20 they deserve it and do great work

I just gave an opinion on my opinion on how to fix it , but don't worry I won't implement it just yet, :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Bring back cat o' nine tails.

Agreed I am a dolebasher 100% ,

I did exclude the sick , of course the sick, elderly disabled should get help,

Don't worry about the council workers jobs, plenty of jobs for the boys

Couldn't care less about solicitors etc

Can't find work in your field, find a different field or emigrate just do something

CE schemes are brilliant ! I'm glad they get the extra €20 they deserve it and do great work

I just gave an opinion on my opinion on how to fix it , but don't worry I won't implement it just yet, :rolleyes:

You do realise that anti social behavior happens everywhere, not just social housing estates yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

vriesmays wrote: »
    Not all social housing, Waterford has an estate full of students renting. Was a nightmare a few years back.

Excuse my ignorance, but I hear this quite a lot that areas with a high student population are to be avoided. May I ask why?
    My hometown on the continent is a big university city and I lived in an area with big student population since it was a stone throw away from one of the big institutions. I had several student shares in my building where I lived as a single with a small child and I never once had a problem there, it was a great place to live and I paid good money to live there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

LirW wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance, but I hear this quite a lot that areas with a high student population are to be avoided. May I ask why?
    My hometown on the continent is a big university city and I lived in an area with big student population since it was a stone throw away from one of the big institutions. I had several student shares in my building where I lived as a single with a small child and I never once had a problem there, it was a great place to live and I paid good money to live there.

Irish students drinking habits don't compare to the continent.

You do realise that anti social behavior happens everywhere, not just social housing estates yes?

Yes but not as concentrated as in those estates,not all social estates either , I don't remember ever saying it was unique to social housing must be a different post your thinking of

Think you are wasting your time attempting to explain that here. Apparently its only social housing tenants that are trouble. Some seem to be magically able to tell where someone lives just by looking at them incredible really.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

So it is demeaning for someone “educated” to take a menial job because they cant get work to suit their “professional” status, but not demeaning for them to live off the taxes paid by cleaners, bin men and street cleaners. As someone with a degree who did all kinds of low paid work in the 1980s recession (waitressing, cleaning, pub work... I cleaned toilets, and would have cleaned the streets too, to get paid work) your attitude is typical of entitlement culture. Unemployment benefit Plus all the extras is way too high, should be cut right back, at the same time as hiking the minimum wage up to €15/hr, so those working poor are given a leg up. And if you are an unemployed rocket scientist, retrain, emigrate or clean toilets, dont expect others to pay for you to sit at home feeling sorry for yourself.

TSQ wrote: »
    So it is demeaning for someone “educated” to take a menial job because they cant get work to suit their “professional” status, but not demeaning for them to live off the taxes paid by cleaners, bin men and street cleaners. As someone with a degree who did all kinds of low paid work in the 1980s recession (waitressing, cleaning, pub work... I cleaned toilets, and would have cleaned the streets too, to get paid work) your attitude is typical of entitlement culture. Unemployment benefit Plus all the extras is way too high, should be cut right back, at the same time as hiking the minimum wage up to €15/hr, so those working poor are given a leg up. And if you are an unemployed rocket scientist, retrain, emigrate or clean toilets, dont expect others to pay for you to sit at home feeling sorry for yourself.

Finally a bit of sense ! Couldn't agree more

Yes but not as concentrated as in those estates,not all social estates either , I don't remember ever saying it was unique to social housing must be a different post your thinking of

No
    Definitely your posts, particularly where you state you are a dole basher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

Am I the only one who thinks violent offenders below the age of 21 should serve in the military for a year or two? Might give them structure, male role models and a possible career.

Or be a training ground.

No
    Definitely your posts, particularly where you state you are a dole basher.

Working for a living and not expecting anything for free, gives me a right to be a dolebasher , I have never and will never expect a government to provide me with something for nothing , I guess that's the way I was brought up you work hard, pay your taxes dutifully and buy your own ****

I often regret the days Id be productive instead of stealing cars and terrorising neighbourhoods /s

Enjoy figuring this one out ,I'm out !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Working for a living and not expecting anything for free, gives me a right to be a dolebasher , I have never and will never expect a government to provide me with something for nothing , I guess that's the way I was brought up you work hard, pay your taxes dutifully and buy your own ****

I often regret the days Id be productive instead of stealing cars and terrorising neighbourhoods /s

Enjoy figuring this one out ,I'm out !
    So everyone on the dole is like that? Those that genuinely can't find work? Those on sick leave? Etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

How much do you make on the dole as a sidenote?

Advertisement