Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

please help me to figure it out- Network wiring

Options
  • 21-02-2020 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

hello there
    Apologies, that I don't have any technical background.
    I bought a new build house and now trying to figure out the network wiring, the developers aren't any helpful.
    At the moment, my modem is in the lving room where I have a virgin media outlet. There is a CAT 5 or 6 cable in the next plate, but not have any connections yet.
    The next outlet is in the master bedroom, with another plate adjacent to it with a cat cable.

There are two plates in dining room one with a coxial cable, another with Cat cable- They all are just cables, no coneectors.
    The last thing, which I think is the main hub is understair store, where I can see three large closed plates, under which
    1st plate. 4 cat cables
    2nd plate. 5 coaxial cables
    3rd : 4 coaxial cable out of one is splitted and two cables going out.

does anyone know, why these many coaxial cables, whats the purpose for these?
    All I want is to get internet from the modem through wired connections to
    1. TV in dining room
    2. computer in upstairs

whats the easiest way?

please see attached images (which shows the understair room plates)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Looks like this is the hub location for the 4 cat6 runs and these need to be terminated with connectors and plugged into a switch at this location. You can then plug your broadband into this switch and terminate and plug in the other ends at the other locations in the house. The router does not need to be adjacent to the switch and can be at the other end of one of the four cables. If however you can locate the router adjacent to thee four cables then it can be the switch as probably has 4 LAN ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭jinish

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Looks like this is the hub location for the 4 cat6 runs and these need to be terminated with connectors and plugged into a switch at this location. You can then plug your broadband into this switch and terminate and plug in the other ends at the other locations in the house. The router does not need to be adjacent to the switch and can be at the other end of one of the four cables. If however you can locate the router adjacent to thee four cables then it can be the switch as probably has 4 LAN ports.
    Thank you!!
    so easiest thing to do is get the modem here and so that i can connect all these 4 lans to the lan ports of router. and it would be a matter of terminating the other ends with connectors.
    Am I right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

jinish wrote: »
    Thank you!!
    so easiest thing to do is get the modem here and so that i can connect all these 4 lans to the lan ports of router. and it would be a matter of terminating the other ends with connectors.
    Am I right?

That's correct however can you get your internet connection to this location?

Advertisement