Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí: Provo Army Council oversees PIRA & SF

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

lawred2 wrote: »
    No comment is the obvious answer.

He has now politicised his role as the Garda commissioner.

Anyone who doesn't see this is just blinded by their own agendas.

Nah, dude.

This is what the Shinners are so angry about. They are the only party with links to an illegal criminal organisation and the top brass in the Gardaí are aware of it.

The way to resolve this is to break all links between the RA and SF. Having Adams on the negotiating team shows they don’t want to do that though.

Not a normal party.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,097 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Simon Harris and Cowen getting their asses handed to them by an academic on RTE ATM.

Simon Harris is practically spitting in the corner as she speaks. Bizarre radio.

I think that SF should be grateful to the media. The papers and broadcasters ran numerous stories which showed up Harris and other Ministers in a bad light. In other countries overstretched health services and expensive property in cities would not even register in the media.

Instead of which SF want to censor them whenever something about their shady past makes the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Conspiracy forum ---->

Having lived in the 6 counties for 20 years during the troubles as a republican think I'm more qualified to state what I said,if u honestly think little boy that im a conspiracy theorist you're mistaken,and wake up FFS and get real,media have always been controlled to a certain by the state in every country, seriously think RUC man Harris came out with his statement out of the blue?it was times as leo the Langer was failing and MM faltering

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Nah, dude.

This is what the Shinners are so angry about. They are the only party with links to an illegal criminal organisation and the top brass in the Gardaí are aware of it.

The way to resolve this is to break all links between the RA and SF. Having Adams on the negotiating team shows they don’t want to do that though.

Not a normal party.

FF linked to criminal bankers for decades

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Would you be ok with a SF minister for finance in the Republic seeking his permission on how to spend taxpayers money if SF were in government?

The question should be:

Am I ok with any Minister taking advise/seeking approval from somebody else within the party.

the answer is an emphatic Yes, because that is how it works in every party. Every organisation I know too, actually.

• Advertisement

Having lived in the 6 counties for 20 years during the troubles as a republican think I'm more qualified to state what I said,if u honestly think little boy that im a conspiracy theorist you're mistaken,and wake up FFS and get real,media have always been controlled to a certain by the state in every country, seriously think RUC man Harris came out with his statement out of the blue?it was times as leo the Langer was failing and MM faltering

Here is a conspiracy. Last November the Commissoner addressed another passing out ceremony. Which was attended by the media. None of them asked him for his assessment on the status of subversives. But this time they did. I wonder why?

And again it was not a Statement, he was answering journalists questions.

The question should be:

Am I ok with any Minister taking advise/seeking approval from somebody else within the party.

the answer is an emphatic Yes, because that is how it works in every party. Every organisation I know too, actually.

Is Ted Howell being paid for his services?

lawred2 wrote: »
    No comment is the obvious answer.

He has now politicised his role as the Garda commissioner.

Anyone who doesn't see this is just blinded by their own agendas.

I actually think this is what FG and FF hoped would happen. That SF would go all out on an attack on Harris. Harris was furious that Culinane wouldn't do that on the News At One there. :)

Somebody likened FF/FG to a drunken man at an ATM, repeatedly putting his card in and getting nothing out.

They are gonna have to go 'all in' and 'find' Shergar buried on Mary Lou's lawn. :)

Is Ted Howell being paid for his services?

No idea. He is openly a member of SF and the Ard Comhairle though.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

The question should be:

Must be hard to dodge questions with your head stuck in the sand.

Ted Howell isn't a member of the party.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭timhenn

It's time to get real here. I have no interest in Sinn Féin, they are just like any other party really but the truth about the PIRA needs to be pointed out. They were involved in a war that was horrible just like all wars but the facts are that they were the good guys in that war. Yes, they committed some hideous acts but without them, there would have been a form of ethnic cleansing of nationalists in the 6 counties. People seem to forget that prior to the PIRA even coming into existence, the uvf were planting bombs around the place, the ruc were shooting nationalist children dead, loyalist mobs were driving nationalists from their homes. Do none of you remember the camps set up for nationalists who had to flee their homes?
    The british armed forces were brought in, they were meant to restore peace but they went on killing sprees instead. Them, the ruc, the uvf etc formed an alliance that went on to kill over 1,000 innocent nationalists. They partook in a terrorist campaign spanning 3 decades to force Irish people to remain in the uk. The PIRA were the only ones to stand up to them. It's time these facts were recognised and the hypocrisy ended. The old IRA and other groups committed some horrible acts as well. They disappeared over 100 people, including mothers. But they fought against the oppressors and we rightfully celebrate them as heroes. Fighting for the freedom of Irish people is something that should be commended, brave men and women risked their lives for the gain of others. This was true for the freedom fighters of every era for the past centuries. They all committed despicable acts but at the end of the day, they were always on the right side of the fight. They were the good guys.

Must be hard to dodge questions with your head stuck in the sand.

Ted Howell isn't a member of the party.
    Mr Howell, a member of Sinn Féin’s ard chomhairle, had come out of retirement at the request of the late Martin McGuinness to chair a “crisis committee” dealing with the fallout from the botched green energy scheme.

http://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2018/10/24/news/o-muilleoir-consulted-with-senior-republicans-due-to-imploding-peace-process-1467226/

I actually think this is what FG and FF hoped would happen. That SF would go all out on an attack on Harris. Harris was furious that Culinane wouldn't do that on the News At One there. :)

Somebody likened FF/FG to a drunken man at an ATM, repeatedly putting his card in and getting nothing out.

They are gonna have to go 'all in' and 'find' Shergar buried on Mary Lou's lawn. :)

Just what I always suspected.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Yesterday was a poor day for our country what we are witnessing if the bruised ego of FG now doing anything to cling to power. I think in time Varakar, Harris and The commissioner will back track massively on this. Watch the back tracking when they get called out on the details of what was said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

smurgen wrote: »
    Yesterday was a poor day for our country what we are witnessing if the bruised ego of FG now doing anything to cling to power. I think in time Varakar, Harris and The commissioner will back track massively on this. Watch the back tracking when they get called out on the details of what was said.

You are actually wrong there,Leo does not want power
    His preferred strategy is opposition and watch the mess unfold
    Try again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

timhenn wrote: »
    It's time to get real here. I have no interest in Sinn Féin, they are just like any other party really but the truth about the PIRA needs to be pointed out. They were involved in a war that was horrible just like all wars but the facts are that they were the good guys in that war. Yes, they committed some hideous acts but without them, there would have been a form of ethnic cleansing of nationalists in the 6 counties. People seem to forget that prior to the PIRA even coming into existence, the uvf were planting bombs around the place, the ruc were shooting nationalist children dead, loyalist mobs were driving nationalists from their homes. Do none of you remember the camps set up for nationalists who had to flee their homes?
    The british armed forces were brought in, they were meant to restore peace but they went on killing sprees instead. Them, the ruc, the uvf etc formed an alliance that went on to kill over 1,000 innocent nationalists. They partook in a terrorist campaign spanning 3 decades to force Irish people to remain in the uk. The PIRA were the only ones to stand up to them. It's time these facts were recognised and the hypocrisy ended. The old IRA and other groups committed some horrible acts as well. They disappeared over 100 people, including mothers. But they fought against the oppressors and we rightfully celebrate them as heroes. Fighting for the freedom of Irish people is something that should be commended, brave men and women risked their lives for the gain of others. This was true for the freedom fighters of every era for the past centuries. They all committed despicable acts but at the end of the day, they were always on the right side of the fight. They were the good guys.

Paragraphs are your friend. Your post is unreadable.

smurgen wrote: »

It will soon be forgotten. It was just expressing an opinion that the position as assessed in 2015 has not changed. No surprise there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

It will soon be forgotten. It was just expressing an opinion that the position as assessed in 2015 has not changed. No surprise there.

It's not some random punter expressing an opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭timhenn

Well obviously unreadable for you. There are 2 paragraphs!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

You are a big fool......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

Try again

so he is looking forward to retirement then.
    there's no way even FG would stupid enough to put him up front in a future election.

Maybe himself and Martin could be golfing buddies because Martin too will be quickly retired.

Will they have to wait till they are 67 to get their Dail pensions?

efanton wrote: »
    there's no way even FG would stupid enough to put him up front in a future election.

Maybe himself and Martin could be golfing buddies because Martin too will be quickly retired.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mary Lou got moved aside. An absolute debacle to go to the country with only 42 candidates, when she needs 80 seats to form a government.

I'd say Martin's future is probably shakier than Vradakars
    FG have no major appetite to dump someone who can speak competently on practically anything without notes

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Try again

Will be an interesting new election so, and make no mistake, there will be another one in the coming weeks/month.

Will will be the first party party leader in the history of the state to campaign on a "vote for us to go into opposition" platform because he doesn't want power:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I wouldn't be surprised if Mary Lou got moved aside. An absolute debacle to go to the country with only 42 candidates, when she needs 80 seats to form a government.
    It was nobody's fault. Based on the local and Euro results it was a pretty sensible call. This "surge" only emerged in the campaign proper, far too late to add anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭horsebox1977

In 2008 the IMC said the IRA is no longer operational and has disbanded its terrorist structures and relinquished the leadership necessary to wage war.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/ira-army-council-no-longer-operational-say-imc-376165.html?fbclid=IwAR0CFvIvUERuNNGRIqmt1IdV-O71xnArDe6j8lLMe2hwuK4UqCDrxoG2m0Y

Yet, 12 years later Leo's bitch comes out and says they otherwise?

Thats a bit of a red herring
    The payment for public representatives in many democracies is designed to compensate them for the fact they could be out of s job in 5 years
    Its also supposed to (but doesnt often work) encourage qualified enough people to apply
    Otherwise you get people of the calibre of inexperienced rent dodging freeloaders or people who go on foreign holidays during the election etc

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I'd say Martin's future is probably shakier than Vradakars
    FG have no major appetite to dump someone who can speak competently on practically anything without notes
    We'll see both complete this cycle of government/elections. If it's a grand deal both will survive. If it's another election and FF slip more then Martin is gone. Leo should still be able to call time himself regardless.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Will be an interesting new election so, and make no mistake, there will be another one in the coming weeks/month.
    No there won't!
    Will will be the first party party leader in the history of the state to campaign on a "vote for us to go into opposition" platform because he doesn't want power:confused:
    You are being silly
    He would be going back on pretty much the same basis as before
    It wont be happening though
    There are several strategies, yes several here that dont involve an election but do involve a 5 year term of boom,house building and nurse recruitment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

Thats a bit of a red herring
    The payment for public representatives in many democracies is designed to compensate them for the fact they could be out of s job in 5 years
    Its also supposed to (but doesnt often work) encourage qualified enough people to apply
    Otherwise you get people of the calibre of inexperienced rent dodging freeloaders or people who go on foreign holidays during the election etc

There's an awful lot of people on zero hours contracts, or constantly uncertain that they will have a job in a years time. Do they get to avail of a pension 'designed to compensate them for the fact they could be out of a job in 5 years'.

The country was completely broke and those two clowns though it would be a great idea to not only increase wages for TD, and ministers but boost their pensions too.

And if they are such high calibre individuals as you claim why would it take them any time at all to get another job?

Advertisement