Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí: Provo Army Council oversees PIRA & SF

Options

Comments

timhenn wrote: »
    Or the old IRA?

What makes you think everyone idolises the old IRA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Did you protest at the 1916 commemorations?

I certainly did. The 1916 terrorists were every bit as despicable as the SF/IRA of the last 50 years. Worse even. SF/IRA had some community support in the north. The violence by the 1916 murders simply did as they wished even without the assent of the Irish people of a wish to secede from from the United Kingdom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭timhenn

bubblypop wrote: »
    What makes you think everyone idolises the old IRA?

Well the 1916 commemorations went well so the majority of people support armed rebellion in some cases anyway. Or would you have been part of the groups that spat at the 1916 heroes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Did you protest at the 1916 commemorations? You musn't support any of the mainstream parties anyway, even Leo has a picture of the terrorist Michael Collins on his wall.
    Michael Collins was a member of Sinn Fein. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

You mean just like the old IRA?

You can continue to be a hypocrite all you like, facts are that the old IRA and the PIRA did some horrible things but we owe the brave men and women who joined these organisations great gratitude for putting their lives at risk to stand up for Irish people against a murderous campaign.

Brave men would have attacked a military base, not strapped you into a truck ans blew you up from a distance.

• Advertisement

dePeatrick wrote: »
    Michael Collins was a member of Sinn Fein. :D

:D Yes! Just shows the levels of hypocrisy we're dealing with here!

Hurrache wrote: »
    Brave men would have attacked a military base, not strapped you into a truck ans blew you up from a distance.

And strapping people to landmines was ok?

Well the 1916 commemorations went well so the majority of people support armed rebellion in some cases anyway. Or would you have been part of the groups that spat at the 1916 heroes?

Well I wasn't alive then so I have no idea what I would have done.
    Commemorations going well doesn't mean the majority support armed rebellion.
    Why would you think that?
    Just means most people in this country are respectful of other people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

I certainly did. The 1916 terrorists were every bit as despicable as the SF/IRA of the last 50 years. Worse even. SF/IRA had some community support in the north. The violence by the 1916 murders simply did as they wished even without the assent of the Irish people of a wish to secede from from the United Kingdom.
    Must be so sad for you, being separated from your homeland/Mainland...do you visit often?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Nasty political party organises meetings in hotels. Shock horror. :D

I wonder where the Labour Party hold their meetings these days now that all the phone boxes have been "decommissioned", so to speak.

• Advertisement

Like I said, some horrible acts were committed, there should be shame for those instances but that doesn't negate the fact that the PIRA were the good guys in the war. They were standing up for Nationalists when everyone else had deserted, without them there would have been ethnic cleansing of Nationalists in the 6 counties.

The old IRA disappeared over 100 people, killed mothers, children, some people were tied to landmines and blown to pieces. Some of their acts were inexcusable, that doesn't stop of from commemorating and celebrating their fight and rightfully so. The same counts for the PIRA and as I've said, I have no interest in Sinn Féin.

Bombs targeted at innocent people, a mainstay of their campaign, made them good guys how?

Like I said, whatever about attacks in military bases, which they were no strangers to using proxys, you're naive or as young as **** to say they were the good guys in these instances standing up for nationalists.

bubblypop wrote: »
    Well I wasn't alive then so I have no idea what I would have done.
    Commemorations going well doesn't mean the majority support armed rebellion.
    Why would you think that?
    Just means most people in this country are respectful of other people

Respectful? Thousands turned out across the country to commemorate and celebrate our heroes. It's ok to state you would have opposed earlier armed campaigns, it's picking and choosing which ones you back that makes someone a hypocrite.

And strapping people to landmines was ok?

Whataboutery, the main fallback for people like you when you don't have a point.

Bombs targeted at innocent people, a mainstay of their campaign, made them good guys how?

Like I said, whatever about attacks in military bases, which they were no strangers to using proxys, you're naive or as young as **** to say they were the good guys in these instances standing up for nationalists.

Innocent people were not targetted! And they killed over 1,000 members of the british armed forces, that's who they were targetting. On the other hand, the british side killed over 1,000 innocents.

Like I've said, some of the acts committed by the PIRA were inexcusable and it was a nasty war but like armed campaigns of the past, their fight was right.

Innocent people were not targetted!

You're no better than a troll. Take a break from the hard core republican Facebook pages and have a meeting with reality.

"I'm no fan of Sinn Fein but....".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Did you protest at the 1916 commemorations? You musn't support any of the mainstream parties anyway, even Leo has a picture of the terrorist Michael Collins on his wall.

They were too busy assaulting and removing homeless people from O’Connell Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

You mean just like the old IRA?

You can continue to be a hypocrite all you like, facts are that the old IRA and the PIRA did some horrible things but we owe the brave men and women who joined these organisations great gratitude for putting their lives at risk to stand up for Irish people against a murderous campaign.

You must be very young to be spouting that rubbish. It is well established that when the British army moved in in 1969, the attacks on the Catholic population stopped. Events like Bloody Sunday in 1972 (indefensible as it was) would not have happened if the IRA had not decided to start a campaign of ambush and attack on the army.

Whataboutery, the main fallback for people like you when you don't have a point.

There's no whataboutery, I'm just pointing out your hypocrisy. Individual events don't take away from the overall virtue of a campaign. Armed rebellions in the past committed horrible acts, same as the PIRA, these horrible acts are a shameful part of it all but again, it doesn't take away from the fact that all these armed campaigs were fighting against a murderous oppressor and they were the good guys in the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Respectful? Thousands turned out across the country to commemorate and celebrate our heroes.

What Euro 88 and Italia 90

You're no better than a troll. Take a break from the hard core republican Facebook pages and have a meeting with reality.

"I'm no fan of Sinn Fein but....".

You couldn't argue the points I made so you resorted to this. A bit pathetic to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭beerguts

Unfortunately most young people (18-34) in the republic wont care that Sinn fein are controlled by the provo army council. They have grown up in an era where the IRA have been glamorized as freedom fighters that did no wrong during the troubles, or worse yet they justify the atrocities against civilians as legitimate actions in the freedom struggle.
    All you have to do is read the comments on Youtube videos to see what a large proportion of our "Educated" youth think about the IRA/Sinn fein. I genuinely worry for the future of the state.

JamesM wrote: »
    You must be very young to be spouting that rubbish. It is well established that when the British army moved in in 1969, the attacks on the Catholic population stopped. Events like Bloody Sunday in 1972 (indefensible as it was) would not have happened if the IRA had not decided to start a campaign of ambush and attack on the army.

You must be very uninformed to spout that rubbish! The uvf were planting bombs in 1966, the ruc were shooting children dead, peaceful protests were being beat off the streets, loyalist mobs were burning nationalists out of their homes, this was all happening before the PIRA came into existence. You are ignorant of the facts. Bloody Sunday wasn't an isolated incident. The british armed forces along with their hired help went on a murder spree lasting decades. They were not there to keep the peace, they were there to force Irish people to remain as part of the UK.

Gatling wrote: »
    What Euro 88 and Italia 90

We have another one who would have spat at the brave men and women of 1916!

beerguts wrote: »
    Unfortunately most young people (18-34) in the republic wont care that Sinn fein are controlled by the provo army council. They have grown up in an era where the IRA have been glamorized as freedom fighters that did no wrong during the troubles, or worse yet they justify the atrocities against civilians as legitimate actions in the freedom struggle.
    All you have to do is read the comments on Youtube videos to see what a large proportion of our "Educated" youth think about the IRA/Sinn fein. I genuinely worry for the future of the state.

Would you say the same about previous armed campaigns? It all has been glamorised and really they were all terrorists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Innocent people were not targetted! And they killed over 1,000 members of the british armed forces, that's who they were targetting. On the other hand, the british side killed over 1,000 innocents.

So the men women and children of Omagh and Warrington were guilty of what ???
    Not to mention Enniskillen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭threeball

Collateral damage but he's not a Sinn Fein supporter as he's at pains to point out.

Guilty of nothing. Same as the men, women and children who were killed during previous armed rebellions.

Respectful? Thousands turned out across the country to commemorate and celebrate our heroes. It's ok to state you would have opposed earlier armed campaigns, it's picking and choosing which ones you back that makes someone a hypocrite.

Apart from the fact that I actually worked at commemmerations for 1916, I wouldn't have gone. Neither did thousands of people across the country!
    I'm not sure who you are calling a hypocrite but I am definitely not one.
    No IRA, be it pira, cira, nira, old ira, I don't care. Nothing excuses murdering innocent civilians.
    Also, nothing excuses murdering the policemen of the state.

threeball wrote: »
    Collateral damage but he's not a Sinn Fein supporter as he's at pains to point out.

Why would I be a Sinn Féin supporter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭threeball

Why would I be a Sinn Féin supporter?

It would be highly unlikely, improbable even that a person that holds the opinions you do would not support Sinn Fein.

Advertisement