Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí: Provo Army Council oversees PIRA & SF

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Mortelaro wrote: »
    In all fairness Hunger strikers topped the poll in a sympathy and protest vote in those circumstances
    But SF in general weren't getting elected
    I do not see how you're going to define the voting at the time as anything other than non violence supporting parties won 95% of the nationalist ballots on the island
    Your explanation is not what happened north or south

You need to think this through and stop ignoring what it was like through the conflict/war.

You are also ignoring something else that makes your thesis unsustainable.
    You are saying that those with most to lose immediately trusted SF and literally discarded the SDLP. Yet 20 years later SF are still under suspicion in the south.

That makes no sense as a 'theory'.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭beerguts

timhenn wrote: »
    I am from Derry. Of course people are uncomfortable talking about it and I'll say, especially with people from the 26. You can get some extremely ignorant comments like some seen on this thread. The PIRA wouldn't have been able to operate like it did without local support. This is a fact.

Fair enough. I am from Galway and haven't ever set foot in NI and wouldn't presume to guess what occurred there during that era, nor the situation now. I was asking to ensure I wasnt interacting with some 26 years old incel living at home in Cork with their parents.

Its just that you have to understand for a lot of the Republics citizens we are wary of Sinn fein due to the fact that it is an all ireland party and that decisions will be influenced by party members north of the border. For a lot of us we want to quarantine the **** that goes on up there away from us. Tthat a small group of people up there previously involved in armed insurgency making decisions down here is not in the republics best interest

Do you support the killing of Martin Luther King?

What does that have to do with anything discussed here?
    You can start another thread on that if you like

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭timhenn

beerguts wrote: »
    Fair enough. I am from Galway and haven't ever set foot in NI and wouldn't presume to guess what occurred there during that era, nor the situation now. I was asking to ensure I wasnt interacting with some 26 years old incel living at home in Cork with their parents.

Its just that you have to understand for a lot of the Republics citizens we are wary of Sinn fein due to the fact that it is an all ireland party and that decisions will be influenced by party members north of the border. For a lot of us we want to quarantine the **** that goes on up there away from us. Tthat a small group of people up there previously involved in armed insurgency making decisions down here is not in the republics best interest

No harm but this is some of the comments we receive. Like we're some foreigners not wanted on this island. We're just as Irish as you or anyone else. Many from the 26 took a similar attitude to the one you expressed there. You ignored and deserted us. That's a fact. It could have been any part of the island that suffered this, up to a century ago it was all of us. Obviously, communities in Galway no longer remember the horrors of what was inflicted on them but we do. It's recent and it's why many of don't like discussing it. I live in Dublin now and I've met so many experts on exactly what happened in the 6 despite never having set one foot there like you.

bubblypop wrote: »
    You can start another thread on the at if you like

Excactly.

• Advertisement

Excactly.

Lol

You're clearly a joke.
    Or a troll, if you prefer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

You can start another thread on that if you like

Deflection. Crude attempt that one. But a lot of people are falling for the crude but not quite as crude attempts.

Lol

You're clearly a joke.
    Or a troll, if you prefer

You didn't feel the need to say you didn't support the killers of Martin Luther King? I think the point will eventually smack you in the face. :D

You didn't feel the need to say you didn't support the killers of Martin Luther King? I think the point will eventually smack you in the face. :D

I don't feel the need to answer questions that are unrelated to the topic we are discussing here on this thread.
    You however don't feel the need to answer any, actual relevant questions to the topic we are discussing.

As I said, troll

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Bueller, Bueller Bueller, anyone,anyone? Justify proxy bombs or justifying the bombings of towns or cities as brave and just? Anyone, anyone?

• Advertisement

No harm but this is some of the comments we receive. Like we're some foreigners not wanted on this island. We're just as Irish as you or anyone else. Many from the 26 took a similar attitude to the one you expressed there. You ignored and deserted us. That's a fact. It could have been any part of the island that suffered this, up to a century ago it was all of us. Obviously, communities in Galway no longer remember the horrors of what was inflicted on them but we do. It's recent and it's why many of don't like discussing it. I live in Dublin now and I've met so many experts on exactly what happened in the 6 despite never having set one foot there like you.

Well to be fair the population in general did not know that much about the NI in the 20's to 60's, and still don't. The B-specials and general discrimination are incomprehensible to us not from there or along the border and most people back then were just trying to survive, also the state had limited resources. Ireland was totally dependent on UK for trade prior to the EU and the British cared more about NI being apart of there empire back then. So there was **** all we could do.
    When the Irish government was able to rely on international help it did all it could to help.

I am not sure you know how pitiful the Republics finances and international standing was back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

Hurrache wrote: »
    Bueller, Bueller Bueller, anyone,anyone? Justify proxy bombs or justifying the bombings of towns or cities as brave and just? Anyone, anyone?

Sent out to bat by the Army Council? Better than being sent out with a bat I suppose. Or a bomb.

I don't feel the need to answer questions that are unrelated to the topic we are discussing here on this thread.
    You however don't feel the need to answer any, actual relevant questions to the topic we are discussing.

As I said, troll

I say the PIRA's war was just and right but some horrible acts they committed were not.
    Then the questions come; so Enniskillen was just and right? No.
    So Kingsmill was just and right? No.
    Then - you support the murderes of Jean McConville/Jerry McCabe? No.
    And it just goes on like this. I've heard it so many times.

Like I said from the start. The PIRA, like all Republican groups of the past, committed some horrendous acts, inexcusable but also like the Republican groups from the past, they were on the right side of the war. They were fighting for us. Many in the 26 can see and accept that for the armed groups of a century ago but can't for the PIRA. They are hypocrites but thankfully the record is being set straight. People are no longer just stuck with RTÉ, the facts are all there for people. A truth commission would be great but the british side would never agree to it.

Anyway, that's the way it is.

beerguts wrote: »
    Well to be fair the population in general did not know that much about the NI in the 20's to 60's, and still don't. The B-specials and general discrimination are incomprehensible to us not from there or along the border and most people back then were just trying to survive, also the state had limited resources. Ireland was totally dependent on UK for trade prior to the EU and the British cared more about NI being apart of there empire back then. So there was **** all we could do.
    When the Irish government was able to rely on international help it did all it could to help.

I am not sure you know how pitiful the Republics finances and international standing was back in the day.

You remember Jack Lynch's cowardliness? Irish people never had money don't forget, we all had nothing but we fought together, there were plenty from the 6 who were involved in 1916 and other movements.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

threeball wrote: »
    Omagh and Warrington were very brave acts. Putting a stop to those murderous children and innocent civilians just had to be done.
    Omagh wasn't even done by the IRA ffs, I hope you are as offended by the British Govt over the Dublin and Monaghan Bombing.

A truth commission would be great but the british side would never agree to it.

Be great if SF told the truth about the influence an unelected terrorist body from the UK exerts on it for a start.

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    Omagh wasn't even done by the IRA ffs, I hope you are as offended by the British Govt over the Dublin and Monaghan Bombing.

Of course not and the cover-up by the fg government of the murder of Irish citizedns doesn't bother them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

This thread is a farce ffs.

smurgen wrote: »
    This thread is a farce ffs.

The topic is very valid. But there appears to be no modding of the hijack, deflection, off topic attempts.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Be great if SF told the truth about the influence an unelected terrorist body from the UK exerts on it for a start.
    All i need to know about you right there. What next the briish Isles:)

No mention of the MI5 Agent who caused this controversy as is the title of the thread. I await Drews evidence, could be a long wait though

• Advertisement

The topic is very valid. But there appears to be no modding of the hijack, deflection, off topic attempts.

Post evidence and I'll agree or tell me when we can expect arrests and ill agree

• Registered Users Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭joeguevara

It was a very strange statement by Mary Lou. Here is exactly what she said:

‘I don’t answer for the IRA; I’m not a spokesperson for the IRA. I’m the leader of Sinn Fein and I’m telling you the war is over,’ she told RTE News.

Ok, on the face of it she said the war is over. But the most interesting part is saying she doesn’t answer for the IRA and she is not a spokesperson for them. How can anybody answer for the IRA if they don’t exist. So by saying she doesn’t answer for them would signify that someone else does i.e. the Army Council. Even more indicative is when she said she is not their spokesperson. It is in the present tense which means someone else is. If she had said ‘they don’t exist and Sinn Fein is the sole instrument then its closed. What she has done is say, she has no authority for an established army council and she is banned for speaking on their behalf.

You remember Jack Lynch's cowardliness? Irish people never had money don't forget, we all had nothing but we fought together, there were plenty from the 6 who were involved in 1916 and other movements.

Jacks Lynch's cowardliness!! What do you think would have happened if he had shown some cojones back then. Send the Irish army to Derry with Lee enfield riles facing jets and chieftain tanks? He was running a state which has developed into a modern nation with a lot to be admired for.

If he had gone to the gun like our forefathers all that would have resulted is in more suffering in all parts of the island and the Republic failing as a state. What he did was give moral support and show that the Republic did care but wasn't going to use violence to help. Lets be honest interacting with you here shows that you guys up their have a lot more talking to do between yourselves.

Leo Varadkar and Simon Harris conspiracy with the Garda commissioner to tar the most popular party leader of the country as a terrorist.I never thought I'd see the day.

https://twitter.com/LeoVaradkar/status/1230845552906194947?s=19

joeguevara wrote: »

‘I don’t answer for the IRA; I’m not a spokesperson for the IRA. I’m the leader of Sinn Fein and I’m telling you the war is over,’ she told RTE News.

Ok, on the face of it she said the war is over. But the most interesting part is saying she doesn’t answer for the IRA and she is not a spokesperson for them. How can anybody answer for the IRA if they don’t exist.

She is correct that she doesnt answer for the IRA - but the reason that she leaves unspelled out is that she is subordinate to the IRA council. She is their executive on a political mission, and as such, has no authority to speak for the higher body.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

joeguevara wrote: »

Ok, on the face of it she said the war is over. But the most interesting part is saying she doesn’t answer for the IRA and she is not a spokesperson for them. How can anybody answer for the IRA if they don’t exist. So by saying she doesn’t answer for them would signify that someone else does i.e. the Army Council. Even more indicative is when she said she is not their spokesperson. It is in the present tense which means someone else is. If she had said ‘they don’t exist and Sinn Fein is the sole instrument then its closed. What she has done is say, she has no authority for an established army council and she is banned for speaking on their behalf.

From yesterday.
    Sinn Fein leader Mary Lou McDonald has said the IRA does not exist after Garda Commissioner Drew Harris said that an IRA Provisional Army Council still oversees the party.

Speaking at an event in Dundalk, Co Louth, she was asked if the IRA still exists: "The reality is that we now live in a peaceful dispensation, the war is over, the IRA has gone away and democracy is the order of the day and there's no dispute around that."

"I know Drew Harris has said he will work with any party with a democratic mandate and that's exactly as it should be."

"Everyone knows that republicans are absolutely committed to democracy and to the peace process. Drew Harris, the PSNI and others also know that Sinn Fein members including Michelle O'Neill have actually been threatened by dangerous elements and by so-called dissident elements.

"The war is over and the IRA is off the stage. The only threat now is so called dissident elements that actually threaten Sinn Fein because we support the police service."

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    Omagh wasn't even done by the IRA ffs

Yep, because the rira are not related in anyway to the ira!
    Who do you think are in the rira?
    People who were in the pira.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Yep, because the rira are not related in anyway to the ira!
    Who do you think are in the rira?
    People who were in the pira.

Senator Mairia Cahill.

This is getting better. :D

McMurphy wrote: »

Yes. She pointedly does NOT say that the IRA does not exist. By implication, her statement that it has 'gone away' (sufficiently nebulous to give the impression that it is not on the scene, but not that it doesnt exist) confirms its continued existance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭limnam

Might be another twitter account closing.

That's not going well :pac:

Advertisement