Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí: Provo Army Council oversees PIRA & SF

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Mortelaro wrote: »
    They got the changes by arranging the ceasefire
    It took time and a lot of work after that to pass out the SDLP,which IS my point
    wartime-poor support in the ballot box
    Time passes,war cancelled, work done in the community-A rise

Again ignoring that those who stood to lose the most, simply forgot the violence and trusted SF bona fides.
    NO
    Most of that new vote is a harvesting of a protest vote
    You have added to that the simple 'change ' message that devoid of too much detailed scrutiny worked in the exact same way at harnessing the fed up vote as Boris Johnson's let's get Brexit done Ironically

The 'protest vote'? That is just the comfort dummy tit being inserted by those who don't want things to change.
    You need to include the troubles in the above
    Unfortunately because there are victims immediate families still alive and rogue elements who act above the law will continue to be a problem for Sinn Féin, until something is done to sort it

Which again undermines your theory on support in the north.

blanch152 wrote: »
    You were rationalising and justifying it in a disgusting manner. Would be best if you deleted the post.

And the poster was sensationally calling it something it wasn't.

The pathetic need of some to see 'ethnic cleansing' in the awful mix of what happened on this island laid bare YET again.

Did someone mention 'masks slipping'?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I don't think the concern should be are SF subservient to an IRA council, what's more worrying is there's a unionist as head of our police force, potentially working in line with British intelligence.

People say SF are a threat to our democracy. What's really scary is how arms of the state, supposed to be impartial, are conspiring against one party. The state itself seems to be the biggest threat to our democracy

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

And the poster was sensationally calling it something it wasn't.

The pathetic need of some to see 'ethnic cleansing' in the awful mix of what happened on this island laid bare YET again.

Did someone mention 'masks slipping'?

Ethnic cleansing occurred in Fermanagh, we know it, you know it, Sinn Fein know it, people are just afraid for various reasons to call it what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I don't think the concern should be are SF subservient to an IRA council, what's more worrying is there's a unionist as head of our police force, potentially working in line with British intelligence.

People say SF are a threat to our democracy. What's really scary is how arms of the state, supposed to be impartial, are conspiring against one party. The state itself seems to be the biggest threat to our democracy
    Love the smell of deep state conspiracy on a Sunday morning!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

As usual there is much left unsaid. A simple statement that no current or former members of the Army Council hold influence, sway or position within Sinn Fein will not be made by Mary-Lou for the obvious reasons.

If it is no big deal and if they have no influence why can they not go public on senior members and in particular Brigade commanders and who they are taking their orders from ?

I mean everyone seemingly knows but no one seems to ?

I understand that it is a secret organisation, but if they are not active why should they not use this oppotunity to state it? I respect that there are bonafide legal issues.

But the question needs to be asked , how big a problem is it and should Ireland be worried?

This country needs to undergo a reconciliation process, surely this could be a good oppotunity to get our cards on the table and start recovering. If the RA are genuine they should not have an issue with being more transparent. Albeit I know there lies a legal clusterphuck after any admissions.

But surely there is some way of people getting the RA finished , done and dusted ?

This murky concept of green phucking diesel and what have you, I mean I understand the criminality of it and why it goes on, but why are the RA involved? Surely they would be better off and get more respect, across the country, if they wised up and started doing something productive for a change ?

is_that_so wrote: »
    Love the smell of deep state conspiracy on a Sunday morning!

It's OK for the state to engage in speculation to tear a party down. But we can't speculate on those arms of the state, no? Only work's one way?

Those who fail to understand and learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

There is a precedent where a party that had most support but not a majority organised rallies and marches to intimidate the political establishment into giving it the reigns of power. It didn’t end well.

Reabh Cronin May remember it.

It just some meeting in hotels blanch.

I don't think it will be a 'rally' like the ones Eoin O'Duffy organised. Relax!

congress.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's OK for the state to engage in speculation to tear a party down. But we can't speculate on those arms of the state, no? Only work's one way?
    I think you lined up a few choice buzzwords and pulled out a fully fledged conspiracy theory.

is_that_so wrote: »
    I think you lined up a few choice buzzwords and pulled out a fully fledged conspiracy theory.

Me or the state? When are arrests taking place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It just some meeting in hotels blanch.

I don't think it will be a 'rally' like the ones Eoin O'Duffy organised. Relax!

congress.jpg

A return to 1930s politics is what Sinn Fein are aiming for.

A return to 1930s politics is what Sinn Fein are aiming for.

I feel sorry for you guys sometimes. End of an era for you and must be difficult to cope.
    The anger and lack of comprehension of what had happened, which was visible last week on here has dissipated somewhat but it's still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

You said it! It only works one way.
    Does RTE show the same 'concern' for the families of the Dublin and Monaghan victims as they do for the Quinn family?
    Is there any 'concern' for the Finucane family who have hit a brick wall looking for answers into the murder of Pat Finucane?

You said it! It only works one way.
    Does RTE show the same 'concern' for the families of the Dublin and Monaghan victims as they do for the Quinn family?
    Is there any 'concern' for the Finucane family who have hit a brick wall looking for answers into the murder of Pat Finucane?

Does FF FG show the same concern?

Absolutely not, is the answer. When they appointed the Garda Comissioner complete disregard was shown to them and others (the Miami Showband survivors and the victims of the Glenane Gang).

The Law Society of NI had deep reservations about this man's CV yet he still got the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I feel sorry for you guys sometimes. End of an era for you and must be difficult to cope.
    The anger and lack of comprehension of what had happened, which was visible last week on here has dissipated somewhat but it's still there.

Pretty much sums it up in one post Francie, had me chuckling at the screen. :D

It's reminiscent of how the unionist party's in the north initially reacted when their days of dominance ebbed too.

Blanch in particular has been predicting the imminent demise of the shinners for what seems like eternity now, he must feel pretty stupid right now.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Pretty much sums it up in one post Francie, had me chuckling at the screen. :D

It's reminiscent of how the unionist party's in the north initially reacted when their days of dominance ebbed too.

Blanch in particular has been predicting the imminent demise of the shinners for what seems like eternity now, he must feel pretty stupid right now.

The 'ceiling' fell in. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Absolutely not, is the answer. When they appointed the Garda Comissioner complete disregard was shown to them and others (the Miami Showband survivors and the victims of the Glenane Gang).

The Law Society of NI had deep reservations about this man's CV yet he still got the job.

I think the appointment is a good one. The Gards needed a shaking anyways and he is technically an Irishman. He has good knowledge of the 6 counties and in fairness his role in the Free State is very much as watchdog, but he has ruffled a few feathers all the same. I have no issue with him, someone has to run the show, he is as good as anyone, surely better than both his predecessors? Could you imagine if they brought in some Brit or even some Yank? No thanks, he is a good fit in fairness. He is not getting paid for his politics but he is a safe pair of hands all thing's considered.

I am not sure where you are going as regards the Miami Showband massacre and the Glenane Stuff, was Garda Commissioner Drew Harris even in the RUC then? Was he involved in some way? As per his Wikipedia page he joined 8 years after the Miami Showband massacre. What are you getting at by saying that his appointment is disrespectful, please elaborate on that, please like?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

woohoo!!! wrote: »

They're very like trump's deflection tactics at this stage.i noticed it big time during the election. They get a paper to report someone saying something and then all the FGers comment on it simultaneously on their own social media.
    They also bring up obscure non issues or old issues to hide current bad news.
    Like when trump's Muller investigation was coming to a head so he put out word of the possibility of the US buying Greenland. A total deflection tactics. Then when the Greenland organisations rebutted this Trump and his minions talked about it on TV shows and in their social media.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I think the appointment is a good one. The Gards needed a shaking anyways and he is technically an Irishman. He has good knowledge of the 6 counties and in fairness his role in the Free State is very much as watchdog, but he has ruffled a few feathers all the same. I have no issue with him, someone has to run the show, he is as good as anyone, surely better than both his predecessors? Could you imagine if they brought in some Brit or even some Yank? No thanks, he is a good fit in fairness. He is not getting paid for his politics but he is a safe pair of hands all thing's considered.

I am not sure where you are going as regards the Miami Showband massacre and the Glenane Stuff, was Garda Commissioner Drew Harris even in the RUC then? Was he involved in some way? As per his Wikipedia page he joined 8 years after the Miami Showband massacre. What are you getting at by saying that his appointment is disrespectful, please elaborate on that, please like?

I think it's a big mistake to have him as commissioner and I think this week has proven why.
    I remember in the run up to his hiring the government asked other EU countries if they'd hire a commissioner from another nation and none said they would. They also asked would they hire a commissioner with dual nationality and only one out of 23 said they would. Let me see if I can dig out that report.

Plenty of stuff out there to cause disquiet. Plenty of unanswered questions from victims and survivors. All ignored in his appointment.

https://villagemagazine.ie/a-recent-bbc-spotlight-programme-reinforced-the-inconvenient-truth-that-there-was-widespread-collusion-across-the-loyalist-spectrum-from-the-dup-to-the-uvf-to-mi5/

https://www.relativesforjustice.com/drew-harris-must-resign-in-light-of-glenanne-judgment/

https://www.lawsoc-ni.org/summary-of-judgment-court-finds-chief-constable-breached-article-2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

And who was Justice minister overseeing his appointment to the role: Charlie Flanagan. Serious questions need to be asked about this man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

This murky concept of green phucking diesel and what have you, I mean I understand the criminality of it and why it goes on, but why are the RA involved? Surely they would be better off and get more respect, across the country, if they wised up and started doing something productive for a change ?

Remember the cresendo of criticism from Sinn Fein about the Special Criminal Court around 2015-2016 when Slab Murphy was convicted of tax evasion? Adams described him as a "good republican" and Mary Lou said he was a "very nice man". This is the same "good republican" that the Sunday Times named as not only on the "army council" but chief of staff. He sued and lost. There was some very juicy evidence about him during the trial.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Murphy_(Irish_republican)#Tax_evasion_conviction
    Also in 2016 he was described on BBCs Spotlight as having been responsible for many murders. As far as I know he has never sued for this. https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/british-soldier-says-slab-murphy-ordered-killing-of-many-people-34419368.html

The ex-provo smugglers, diesel launderers and intimidators can expect to operate with total impunity if Sinn Fein ever get near the Depts of justice or Defence. There are lots of influential "long term republicans" on the Ard Comhairle.
    The Shinners are great for the old euphemisms, aren't they?

And who was Justice minister overseeing his appointment to the role: Charlie Flanagan. Serious questions need to be asked about this man

I think maybe the reason he was put in was to be a puppet for FG. There's nothing but complaints and questions on how Drew operates in the papers. He genuinely seems to be bad at the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

smurgen wrote: »
    I think maybe the reason he was put in was to be a puppet for FG. There's nothing but complaints and questions on how Drew operates in the papers. He genuinely seems to be bad at the job.

Must be different papers. He is getting the most positive coverage generally than any commissioner for a long time. He is clearly doing a lot regarding internal Garda discipline, for one thing, which is welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

1641 wrote: »
    Must be different papers. He is getting the most positive coverage generally than any commissioner for a long time. He is clearly doing a lot regarding internal Garda discipline, for one thing, which is welcome.

He was caught with armed police officers from another jurisdiction at Garda HQ when they did not have any authorisation. Pretty serious breach which seemed to be hushed up.

Promoting people for the sake of it?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/garda-commissioner-harris-to-be-quizzed-on-promotion-proposals-966295.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭timhenn

Remember the cresendo of criticism from Sinn Fein about the Special Criminal Court around 2015-2016 when Slab Murphy was convicted of tax evasion? Adams described him as a "good republican" and Mary Lou said he was a "very nice man". This is the same "good republican" that the Sunday Times named as not only on the "army council" but chief of staff. He sued and lost. There was some very juicy evidence about him during the trial.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Murphy_(Irish_republican)#Tax_evasion_conviction
    Also in 2016 he was described on BBCs Spotlight as having been responsible for many murders. As far as I know he has never sued for this. https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/british-soldier-says-slab-murphy-ordered-killing-of-many-people-34419368.html

The ex-provo smugglers, diesel launderers and intimidators can expect to operate with total impunity if Sinn Fein ever get near the Depts of justice or Defence. There are lots of influential "long term republicans" on the Ard Comhairle.
    The Shinners are great for the old euphemisms, aren't they?

We established yesterday that the PIRA did some horrible things but were on the right side of the war, their fight was just. The PIRA weren't filled with evil monsters. They were ordinary men and women who felt there was no other option than to take up arms. When you know of the attack the Nationalist community was under, you can see why.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

F*cking hell some of the hysteria in here.

‘Serious questions’ need to be asked of Charlie Flanagan for appointing Drew Harris because he said the Gardai holds the same view as MI5 and the PSNI. Christ on a bike there’s clutching at straws then there’s making tinfoil hats out of them.

Proper Flat Earth level stuff from some people here. Have a day off, lads.

This is the article I was talking about .

Here are some interesting extracts and I wonder now why the debate didn’t happen at the time:

“his is the most unusual transfer in the European security community in the modern era.”

“The Department of Justice’s own officials warned Government ministers of the risks of hiring somebody from outside the jurisdiction as the recruitment process was getting under way.

Last December, in a report prepared for Cabinet ministers, the justice officials warned a foreign candidate may be subject to, or seek to promote, the interests of their country of origin at the expense of Irish national security interests.

The report, the contents of which have been seen by The Irish Times, also advised Irish Government ministers that 23 of 24 nations canvassed for a view by the Irish Permanent Representation to the EU said they would not consider foreign nationals for their top policing and security posts. Some would not even consider candidates with dual citizenship.”

And the comments of Johnathan O’Brien retired chief superintendent;

“No sovereign state would appoint somebody from the security service of another state, even a friendly one, to head their security service,” he said. “It wouldn’t be done; not in western European countries. The British certainly wouldn’t do it.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/drew-harris-garda-take-an-outside-chance-on-new-commissioner-1.3612666?mode=amp

• Advertisement

Faugheen wrote: »
    F*cking hell some of the hysteria in here.

‘Serious questions’ need to be asked of Charlie Flanagan for appointing Drew Harris because he said the Gardai holds the same view as MI5 and the PSNI. Christ on a bike there’s clutching at straws then there’s making tinfoil hats out of them.

Proper Flat Earth level stuff from some people here. Have a day off, lads.

I'm sure if we back to former times we would find the same type of 'handwaving away' posts as these when questions were asked about former Commissioners.

Advertisement