Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí: Provo Army Council oversees PIRA & SF

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

timhenn wrote: »
    Look up Oliver Flanagan.

What is the relevance of looking up info on people's fathers? Gerry Adams' father (who incidentally also happend to be a "good republican") has been described as a sex abuser. I might criticise the bould Gerry for lots but certainly not for this. He is in no way responsible.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerry_Adams_Sr.

Anything to deflect away from the Army Council, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

That backs up exactly what I just said. Thanks.

Loyalists are not the ‘British side’. I think we all know who the Brits are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Flanagan's father:

"There is one thing that Germany did, and that was to rout the Jews out of their country. Until we rout the Jews out of this country it does not matter a hair's breadth what orders you make. Where the bees are there is the honey, and where the Jews are there is the money."

Flanagan wants to commemorate the black and tans, he appointed a former member of a murderous organisation as head of police. This man is not to be trusted.

Ok we've established you hate Charlie Flanagan and his father, but I never mentioned those, seems like you're going off topic in an attempt to delfect, a lot of SF supporters here seem to do this (if indeed you are a SF supporter).

But back to my point if you're interested, what do you think of the upcoming SF rallies and would you join one yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

alastair wrote: »

They just think they are British. The British seem to have other ideas though, if polls are anything to go by.

1641 wrote: »
    He is clearly doing a lot regarding internal Garda discipline, for one thing, which is welcome.

such as what for example?

• Advertisement

Other parties might want to look at how SF operate on the ground. For instance, since 2016 they have been flat out holding meetings about the ramifications of Brexit along both sides of the border. Providing a vehicle for people to voice concerns and also information.

I.E. being useful and proactive with their electorate. These methods pay off. These rallies/meeting are about starting a conversation about change, presumably because SF see the possibility of another election.
    Sitting back and depending on the electorate to back you is not something they do.

Not sure SF are the best example of how to operate, what with their army council pulling the strings behind the scenes.

Will you join a SF rally yourself?

They just think they are British. The British seem to have other ideas though, if polls are anything to go by.

Yeah. You don’t get to redefine loyalists into Brits after the fact. Soz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Sitting back and depending on the electorate to back you is not something they do.

There must have been some sitting back to have lost so many council seats just 8 months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

Not sure SF are the best example of how to operate, what with their army council pulling the strings behind the scenes.

The "dissidents" might be more to his taste.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    There must have been some sitting back to have lost so many council seats just 8 months ago

I think SF say this themselves. Eoin O'Broin spoke about it and what they did to re-connect.

• Advertisement

Do you want to rout out the jews like Flanagan snr?

That's a bizarre reply to my question.

No I don't want to 'rout out the jews', do have something against them yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Newstalk trotting out Alan shatter. Good Lord

:):)

Why wouldn't I go to a conversation about change? When change for my children's future is what I am interested in.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

smurgen wrote: »
    This is the article I was talking about .

Here are some interesting extracts and I wonder now why the debate didn’t happen at the time:

“his is the most unusual transfer in the European security community in the modern era.”

“The Department of Justice’s own officials warned Government ministers of the risks of hiring somebody from outside the jurisdiction as the recruitment process was getting under way.

Last December, in a report prepared for Cabinet ministers, the justice officials warned a foreign candidate may be subject to, or seek to promote, the interests of their country of origin at the expense of Irish national security interests.

The report, the contents of which have been seen by The Irish Times, also advised Irish Government ministers that 23 of 24 nations canvassed for a view by the Irish Permanent Representation to the EU said they would not consider foreign nationals for their top policing and security posts. Some would not even consider candidates with dual citizenship.”

And the comments of Johnathan O’Brien retired chief superintendent;

“No sovereign state would appoint somebody from the security service of another state, even a friendly one, to head their security service,” he said. “It wouldn’t be done; not in western European countries. The British certainly wouldn’t do it.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/drew-harris-garda-take-an-outside-chance-on-new-commissioner-1.3612666?mode=amp

Hold on a minute here.

SF and their supporters cry about a United Ireland but once one of themmuns is made Garda Commissioner you’re suddenly all about the different jurisdictions?

Fooling nobody here.

:):)

Why wouldn't I go to a conversation about change? When change for my children's future is what I am interested in.

Haha 'conversation about change', that's a nice spin, I like that.

Well I wish you and your children all the best, enjoy the rally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Faugheen wrote: »
    Hold on a minute here.

SF and their supporters cry about a United Ireland but once one of themmuns is made Garda Commissioner you’re suddenly all about the different jurisdictions?

Fooling nobody here.

So you disagree with the experts that say his appointment is out of the norm?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Maybe Drew and Fine Gael are afraid that if Sinn Fein get into government that files on the Dublin and Monaghan bombings will finally be released?

Also isn't it funny that in the run up to the election RTE didn't interview the likes of
    Martha O'Neill who pleaded only last year with Varakar to release documents about her husband's murder? As she said "secret documents " in Leo Varadkar's office could assist families in their search for justice.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48303360

Haha 'conversation about change', that's a nice spin, I like that.

Well I wish you and your children all the best, enjoy the rally.

What do you think will be happening? Why are you guys so afraid of allowing people to voice their opinions?

Really sinister stuff. Not ignoring the fact that trying to shut down alternative voices is backfiring so spectacularly on you too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭timhenn

1641 wrote: »
    What is the relevance of looking up info on people's fathers? Gerry Adams' father (who incidentally also happend to be a "good republican") has been described as a sex abuser. I might criticise the bould Gerry for lots but certainly not for this. He is in no way responsible.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerry_Adams_Sr.

Anything to deflect away from the Army Council, I suppose.

Why deflect? We should be proud of the army council. I was just pointing out Flanagan's family history which when you put alongside his black and tan commemoration idea, his appointment of a former member of a murderous organisation as head of police etc. He should not be trusted.

Maybe Drew and Fine Gael are afraid that if Sinn Fein get into government that files on the Dublin and Monaghan bombings will finally be released?

We'll see plenty of 'those files/phones/letters have been lost' excuses being trotted out no doubt.

I think even this week key letters from the 2008 banking crisis have 'been lost'.

• Advertisement

alastair wrote: »

loyalists are the british side. The british armed forces/loyalists/ruc etc all teamed up together. Arming each other with information and weapons, going on murder sprees together etc. The biggest death toll from a single incident was from a co-sanctioned action by loyalists and the british security forces.

What do you think will be happening? Why are you guys so afraid of allowing people to voice their opinions?

Really sinister stuff. Not ignoring the fact that trying to shut down alternative voices is backfiring so spectacularly on you too.

I don't know what they'll be like, simply saying they will be interesting to see, that's all.

'You guys', why are you refering to me in the plural? What assumptions are you making about my politicial views Francie?

I'd call SF's unelected army council the most sinister political entity in the Republic, wouldn't you?

Ok we've established you hate Charlie Flanagan and his father, but I never mentioned those, seems like you're going off topic in an attempt to delfect, a lot of SF supporters here seem to do this (if indeed you are a SF supporter).

But back to my point if you're interested, what do you think of the upcoming SF rallies and would you join one yourself?

You were going on about nazi rallies in the 30's. It's been pointed out to you that the blueshirts and Flanagan's family were nazi sympathisers at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

lawred2 wrote: »
    Newstalk trotting out Alan shatter. Good Lord
    Ah he's always good for a bit of sharp speaking!

That's a bizarre reply to my question.

No I don't want to 'rout out the jews', do have something against them yourself?

No, you'll need to ask the Flanagan family about their current feelings on the matter.

You were going on about nazi rallies in the 30's. It's been pointed out to you that the blueshirts and Flanagan's family were nazi sympathisers at the very least.

Still ignoring my question about the upcoming Sinn Fein rallies I see.....

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

AGS were stone walked by actors in NI. It was a covert operation sanctioned and organised by British special forces. Lots of evidence was removed or destroyed. In short, a classic terrorist operation covered up by the British authorities. This is nothing new.

With regard to Harris, I've no issue with his background but the justice minister/dept of justice woukd be well advised to ensure his loyalties do not lie with M15. Brexit negotiations and stalled government formation talks, means chances cannot be taken at this time.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Hold on a minute here.

Fooling nobody here.

Would you support a former PIRA member becoming head of the gardaí?

loyalists are the british side. The british armed forces/loyalists/ruc etc all teamed up together. Arming each other with information and weapons, going on murder sprees together etc. The biggest death toll from a single incident was from a co-sanctioned action by loyalists and the british security forces.

Nope. Loyalists were never considered to be the British side - in either loyalist or Republican circles. And the biggest toll from a single incident was from an act by dissident republicans - the Omagh bombing.

• Advertisement

No, you'll need to ask the Flanagan family about their current feelings on the matter.

Seems like the Flanagan family might have a stalker.

Advertisement