Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gardaí: Provo Army Council oversees PIRA & SF

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I wouldn't have voted for SF in a GE if I thought the IRA still existed. I voted for the GFA because I believe in it.

I don't treat it like a political crutch the way that Varadkar does.

He, and only he, called for the 'IRA to be disbanded'. Therefore he is happy as Taoiseach to turn a blind eye when it suits him and to use it for political gain when it suits.

You’re pretty naive if you think ‘they’ve gone away’ as the man said.

You don’t have to like Varadkar, but that doesn’t give you licence to stick your head in the sand over police intelligence confirming what everyone, bar the naive, knows already. Varadkar didn’t bring the message - he just tried to exploit it.

Immigration, whether asylum related or UN related or just chancers was silenced completely during the election campaign. Bet the taxpayer funded Immigrant supporting NGOs made sure of that.

The only thing I saw was the fact that INIS checked passports at the steps of planes landing and managed to get many bogus asylum seeking Albanians and Georgians back to their home country before they could tear up their passports.

But anyway. Apart from UN supported immigrants, everyone should have a visa, or INIS should check on the tarmac. Harsh I know, but in reality it is unsustainable.

1% cared enough about immigration to flag it as an electoral priority. Nobody silenced the issue. It just wasn’t that important to the vaste majority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

alastair wrote: »
    1% cared enough about immigration to flag it as an electoral priority. Nobody silenced the issue. It just wasn’t that important to the vaste majority.

Housing was though. Very much affected by economic migrants and taxpayer funds going into Direct Provision, and now being dispersed into the wider community who have difficulty sourcing accommodation also.

Get away with your soundbytes.

Housing was though. Very much affected by economic migrants and taxpayer funds going into Direct Provision, and now being dispersed into the wider community who have difficulty sourcing accommodation also.

Get away with your soundbytes.

Not my soundbite. Just the preferences of the electorate polled on the day. The vote for the, ehh, ‘immigration control’ candidates reflected that 1% quite accurately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,761 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You’re pretty naive if you think ‘they’ve gone away’ as the man said.

You don’t have to like Varadkar, but that doesn’t give you licence to stick your head in the sand over police intelligence confirming what everyone, bar the naive, knows already. Varadkar didn’t bring the message - he just tried to exploit it.

I believe the IRA is no longer operational. Those members (Army council and ordinary) who were interested got involved in politics.

Leo believes an illegal organisation is operating with impunity in this country.

Nothing more to be said.

• Advertisement

I believe the IRA is no longer operational. Those members (Army council and ordinary) who were interested got involved in politics.

Leo believes an illegal organisation is operating with impunity in this country.

Nothing more to be said.

Unless you’re one of those who believes that this political involvement is not one that sits well with democratic accountability. And the IMC were quite clear that the PIRA leadership were continuing on with political activity. That’s a matter of record, just as the police intelligence perspective is.

Unless you’re one of those who believes that this political involvement is not one that sits well with democratic accountability. And the IMC were quite clear that the PIRA leadership were continuing on with political activity. That’s a matter of record, just as the police intelligence perspective is.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing wrong or illegal with ex members of PIRA getting involved in politics. They were encouraged to do it.

An illegal organisation needing to be 'disbanded' is the problem here.

Leo needs to withdraw that statement/tweet to have an ounce of credibility or take action on behalf of the state, if he is Taoiseach. Simple as that.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing wrong or illegal with ex members of PIRA getting involved in politics. They were encouraged to do it.

An illegal organisation needing to be 'disbanded' is the problem here.

Leo needs to withdraw that statement/tweet to have an ounce of credibility or take action on behalf of the state, if he is Taoiseach. Simple as that.

Nope - the problem is the opaque nature of who SF are accountable to. Leo can call for whatever; it’s no skin off anyone’s nose. But until there’s clarity on the actual role of an unaccountable council, this isn’t going to go away - like the ‘ra.

Nope - the problem is the opaque nature of who SF are accountable to. Leo can call for whatever; it’s no skin off anyone’s nose. But until there’s clarity on the actual role of an unaccountable council, this isn’t going to go away - like the ‘ra.

If they offer no threat, are not acting illegally...what business or concern is it to any other party?
    This is the land of an 'allegation' is enough.

Do I look for FF or FG to account for who is forming their policy? No I don't, I deal with the policy and decide if I agree with it or not and act accordingly.

But that isn't the issue. The real issue is that our acting Taoiseach believes there is an illegal organisation at work on this island and he has done nothing about it.

If they offer no threat, are not acting illegally...what business or concern is it to any other party?
    This is the land of an 'allegation' is enough.

Do I look for FF or FG to account for who is forming their policy? No I don't, I deal with the policy and decide if I agree with it or not and act accordingly.

But that isn't the issue. The real issue is that our acting Taoiseach believes there is an illegal organisation at work on this island and he has done nothing about it.

Nobody’s business outside SF right up until they get into the governance game. Then it’s everyone’s. Varadkar isn’t in any position to do anything about it currently - see DPP criteria for prosecutions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Nobody’s business outside SF right up until they get into the governance game. Then it’s everyone’s. Varadkar isn’t in any position to do anything about it currently - see DPP criteria for prosecutions.

So just rumours.we were beginning to worry!

The leader of a country sits in power believing that an illegal organisation is operating and 'they can do nothing about it' but taunt another party when they themselves have just been defeated in an election???

Or the acting Taoiseach makes an allegation to attempt to gain politically from it. With complete disregard for an agreement he was/is a guarantor of.

The leader of a country sits in power believing that an illegal organisation is operating and 'they can do nothing about it' but taunt another party when they themselves have just been defeated in an election???

Or the acting Taoiseach makes an allegation to attempt to gain politically from it. With complete disregard for an agreement he was/is a guarantor of.

It's desperation tactics.last sting from a dying wasp kind of thing. I'm looking forward to the hysterics when people again punish FG for their arrogance. Leo really really is taking his 8 count election badly. Highly amusing.

smurgen wrote: »
    It's desperation tactics.last sting from a dying wasp kind of thing. I'm looking forward to the hysterics when people again punish FG for their arrogance. Leo really really is taking his 8 count election badly. Highly amusing.

Amusing the twisting going on to extricate Leo from any responsibility here. There is only one party that has to be accountable. Long live the 'power swap'. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

If FG has links to an illegal criminal organisation then would you be suggesting the media ignore it?

SF have links to an illegal criminal organisation who murdered people in this country including members of its police force. They gave the sociopaths who carried out the murder of Jerry McCabe a standing ovation at their Ard Fheis for example.

That’s newsworthy. You can blame the media, Drew Harris, FG, and the Yeti if you like. The truth is the buck stops with SF.

That’s a bitter pill for some of you to swallow but you’re going to have to learn to deal with increased scrutiny. It’s up to SF to put their own house in order. Can’t have it both ways, lads. Isn’t going to cut it.

If FG has links to an illegal criminal organisation then would you be suggesting the media ignore it?

SF have links to an illegal criminal organisation who murdered people in this country including members of its police force. They gave the sociopaths who carried out the murder of Jerry McCabe a standing ovation at their Ard Fheis for example.

That’s newsworthy. You can blame the media, Drew Harris, FG, and the Yeti if you like. The truth is the buck stops with SF.

That’s a bitter pill for some of you to swallow but you’re going to have to learn to deal with increased scrutiny. It’s up to SF to put their own house in order. Can’t have it both ways, lads. Isn’t going to cut it.

I haven't a single issue with 'scrutiny'. As long as you man up and present evidence for your allegations.

Leo says the IRA still exists as an organisation.

Show us the evidence for that Leo. And while you are at it, tell us why you didn't do anything about it but launch a bitter tweet at another party leader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Meeting your electorate face to face, informing them and allowing them to form your policy...is 'cloak and dagger politics' now??

Nope, those are your words Francie, not mine I'm afraid.

Pretty handy though if you're going to put words in my mouth and then rebuff them, saves me the job of debating at all.

Nope, those are your words Francie, not mine I'm afraid.

Pretty handy though if you're going to put words in my mouth and then rebuff them, saves me the job of debating at all.

You are another of those who live happily in the land of 'an allegation is enough'. Happy enough to put a snide comment out there but recoil when asked about it. No different to Leo on the tweet machine.

You are 'concerned about those meetings because of SF's cloak and dagger politics'.

:):)

You are another of those who live happily in the land of 'an allegation is enough'. Happy enough to put a snide comment out there but recoil when asked about it. No different to Leo on the tweet machine.

You are 'concerned about those meetings because of SF's cloak and dagger politics'.

:):)

Jaysus I'm finding out all sorts of things about myself here that I never knew before, thanks for that Francie.

Most of them are negative though, what else do you know about me, this is facinating stuff I have to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,341 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Looking for evidence to be shared with the public by intelligence services. Not going to happen. It's need to know stuff. And sources that want to suppress the general assessment that can be made public, asking for detailed intelligence to be made public. That adds to the general outbreak of amusement here.

• Advertisement

Jaysus I'm finding out all sorts of things about myself here that I never knew before, thanks for that Francie.

Most of them are negative though, what else do you know about me, this is facinating stuff I have to say.

Just saying, your modus operandi is as transparent as Leo's. But I suspect that your attempt to treat somebody pointing it out so glibly means you know the truth.

Looking for evidence to be shared with the public by intelligence services. Not going to happen. It's need to know stuff. And sources that want to suppress the general assessment that can be made public, asking for detailed intelligence to be made public. That adds to the general outbreak of amusement here.

The truth here is that the 'intelligence' is so sparse the IMC never even mentioned PIRA in it's last report.

But Leo thinks it needs to be 'disbanded'. So much so he called on the leader of a rival political party to do it.

Amusing...fecking hilarious if you ask me.

The truth here is that the 'intelligence' is so sparse the IMC never even mentioned PIRA in it's last report.

But Leo thinks it needs to be 'disbanded'. So much so he called on the leader of a rival political party to do it.

Amusing...fecking hilarious if you ask me.

Last report was in 2011. There have been IRA murders since then.

Just saying, your modus operandi is as transparent as Leo's. But I suspect that your attempt to treat somebody pointing it out so glibly means you know the truth.

Oh glib aswell cool cool, jaysus I really am a horrible b0ll0x, anything else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Last report was in 2011. There have been IRA murders since then.

there has? Can you point out where the PIRA have done anything from 2011 nevermind these mystery 'murders' you talk of?

maccored wrote: »
    there has? Can you point out where the PIRA have done anything from 2011 nevermind these mystery 'murders' you talk of?

Kevin McGuigan.

Kevin McGuigan.

a murder that may have involved former members of the PIRA is not the PIRA.

maccored wrote: »
    a murder that may have involved former members of the PIRA is not the PIRA.

Depends on who you believe whether the IRA has gone away.

Depends on who you believe whether the IRA has gone away.

depends on if you believe we have a justice system because the one we have hasnt backed your point. no-one has been arrested and charged with PIRA membership for a recent PIRA murder - thats because they dont actually exist anymore. You believe whatever fairytales you want but dont confuse it with reality

• Advertisement

Weekend nearly over and Mary Lou still hasn't been arrested. Good lord it's almost like Leo was speaking out of his hoop once again.

Advertisement