Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí: Provo Army Council oversees PIRA & SF

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I only ever saw Irish Army personnel at any of those.

Here you go.
    image.jpg
    Minister attends service for killed RIC and DMP men
    Minister for Justice Charlie Flanagan has become the first government minister to attend a commemoration service for policemen killed by the IRA in the War of Independence.

Mr Flanagan was a guest at the annual interdenominational service for members of the Royal Irish Constabulary (RIC) and the Dublin Metropolitan Police (DMP) held at the Church of St Paul of the Cross in Mount Argus in Dublin on Saturday.

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar was represented by his aide-de-camp Commandant Caroline Burke.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/minister-attends-service-for-killed-ric-and-dmp-men-1.4018814

Annual. This is why the organisers were not looking or expecting a state ceremony like the one Charlie tried to pull.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Sure. Thats an uncontested fact.

So what do you think of MacBride, a former IRA Chief of Staff going into Government with Fine Gael? Or defending Republican Paramilitaries as a barristor. How do you view him winning the Nobel Peace Prize? Should he have, bearing in mind his past?

blanch152 wrote: »
    If Drew Harris is unfit to be Garda Commissioner because of his possible third-hand knowledge of the Dublin-Monaghan bombings, what does that say about Sinn Fein's fitness for government in light of ther definite first-hand knowledge of numerous atrocities and cover-ups of child sexual abuse?

I'd have more questions about why the Fine Gael Government thought it a good idea to appoint someone with a very obvious conflict of interest to such a sensitive position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

jm08 wrote: »
    I'd have more questions about why the Fine Gael Government thought it a good idea to appoint someone with a very obvious conflict of interest to such a sensitive position.

What's the interest he's conflicted against?
    Are we at war with the UK or something or are the Garda in open conflict with the PSNI or something?

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Are we at war with the UK or something or are the Garda in open conflict with the PSNI or something?

The refusal of the British Government to co-operate in a tribunal of enquiry that would give justice to the victims of the Dublin-Monaghan bombings and the Miami Showband massacre which Harris must have had knowledge of as the MI5 liaison officer with RUC.

Although in the employ of the Irish State, he is still bound to secreacy to the British State.

By the way, the problem isn't with the PSNI - it was while he was with the RUC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Ask the survivors and victims of the Glenane gang, the survivors and victims of the Miami Showband, and The Dublin - Monaghan Bombings.
    I figure in one of those groups. As a teenager I missed the Monaghan bombing by about 5 minutes but other members of my family were not so lucky.

It is a disgrace that this man got to be the head of The Gardai here. To the hypocrits in FF and FG there is only one set of victims that are important. And they are ONLY important because it is politically expedient for them to make them important.

The refusal of the British Government to co-operate in a tribunal of enquiry that would give justice to the victims of the Dublin-Monaghan bombings and the Miami Showband massacre which Harris must have had knowledge of as the MI5 liaison officer with RUC.

Although in the employ of the Irish State, he is still bound to secreacy to the British State.

What evidence do you have that Harris had sight of any files
    How would he have access to them now? and
    How is that a conflict of interest and with what?
    Explain the reasoning or the proof
    Otherwise what you're saying is less than hearsay that looks like its invented or pushed in response to something you didn't like said to a journalist

What evidence do you have that Harris had sight of any files
    How would he have access to them now? and
    How is that a conflict of interest and with what?
    Explain the reasoning or the proof
    Otherwise what you're saying is less than hearsay that looks like its invented or pushed in response to something you didn't like said to a journalist

Harris was in charge of legacy issues in NI as Head of Crime Operations of the PSNI. He actually gave evidence in the Smithwick Tribunal. So yes, he knows where the bodies are buried.

Just read this:

https://www.relativesforjustice.com/drew-harris-must-resign-in-light-of-glenanne-judgment/

Relatives of justice:
    When Drew Harris wrote his letter, the families asked the courts to review the matter. Today Mr Justice Treacey gave his devastating assessment, accusing Drew Harris of an “extreme” abuse of power in closing down this exercise in analysing collusion. By doing so, he made it clear that “the state is not genuinely committed” to addressing the concerns of families, despite all its claims to Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

I am not going to give anyone credit for not resuming a campaign of violence. As far as I am concerned what happened in the recent past was not worth dying for, and certainly not worth killing for. I would even venture that opinion on 1916 and what happened 100 years ago. I have no doubt we would be an independent state now, with none of that killing.

The last part of your post is classic Sinn Fein nonsense. No party has any right to be in government, unless they can agree with others to form a government. That is democracy.

Provo IRA did not create the violence.  There’s a story of events on this island, and any film about the North, shows the Loyalists refusing to reform. 

Belfast in 1969, was a place of instability, many on the Catholic side welcomed the IRA protection, to stop the Loyalists from committing genocide. You FG people seem to have forgotten catholics in the north tried the “peaceful” way to bring up about new change, instead the Unionist state, reaction was to bully and intimate and the police beat up early civil rights marchers in 1968- 1969.. Young men had enough and joined the IRA.. 

One had to live back then, see it, to comprehend how bad it got for people.  Catholic Women, young men and old men had to leave the security of their homes at night to stop the loyalist mobs from crossing over and burning down their homes. It was a Warzone and don’t think people truly get what its going to be like living this hell every day and have no police force to arrive to protect you and your family. The IRA was the only choice they had.

FG supporters preach they should have done nothing to protect themselves and be fine, but that’s lunacy. When the other side coming to kill you, you react. Did the IRA do terrible things yes, but the loyalists and British state are to blame for allowing to get that far and not accepting reform before the troubles broke out. 

British state was not interested in leaving in 1916, the men in south knew that, its reason they took up arms to get them out. Would the British state have ultimately left Ireland peacefully, maybe? It a question nobody can truly answer. Either way, the minority who took up arms sped up the process to separation and doubt many historians would disagree? 

You have a legitimate right to be in government, if more people vote for a party over another. You have a larger mandate.. I know FG try now to claim FF supporters are the same, but I like to see that tested and there be another election. I think FF may find many of their supporters switching to SF instead?

Harris was in charge of legacy issues in NI as Head of Crime Operations of the PSNI. He actually gave evidence in the Smithwick Tribunal. So yes, he knows where the bodies are buried.

Just read this:

https://www.relativesforjustice.com/drew-harris-must-resign-in-light-of-glenanne-judgment/

Relatives of justice:
    I asked for evidence of sight
    You've given me none
    All you've done is told me he closed an inquiry
    You haven't told me why because other than speculation, you dont know

So it's still just looks like we have a bash the messenger tool being used here with no evidence in response to something Harris said you don't agree with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

I asked for evidence of sight
    You've given me none
    All you've done is told me he closed an inquiry
    You haven't told me why because other than speculation, you dont know

So it's still just looks like we have a bash the messenger tool being used here with no evidence in response to something Harris said you don't agree with

Harris was involved with special branch in the north who worked alongside the FRU - the guys behind hundreds of state sponsored murders in the north. You won't get the evidence because they have a habit of 'losing' it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,100 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

You have a legitimate right to be in government, if more people vote for a party over another. You have a larger mandate.. I know FG try now to claim FF supporters are the same, but I like to see that tested and there be another election. I think FF may find many of their supporters switching to SF instead?

If I was Mary Lou, I would not be quite so gung ho about wanting another election. SF have 81 councillors in local government out of a total of 949 after the elections of 2019. That was down from their high water mark of 159 in the previous election. Where are they going to get the talent to put up another 30 or 40 candidates? And if you study the constituencies one by one, you won't find that many where SF look guaranteed to increase their seats. And another election could produce the same stalemate, even if they got 10 more seats.

I simply do not recognise your idea that SF have a legitimate right to be in the next coalition, with the way the votes fell. One of the other parties with much the same number of seats would be outside of the coalition, if SF are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Only if you can persuade enough TDs to vote for your leader as Taoiseach. Once you've voted, unless a party is close to 80 seats, you have no more influence on what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

It’s in the past. There was a war. Time to move on. Is what the shinners would say if it was the other way round

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Just read this:

Relatives of justice:

The Dublin Monaghan bombings were in 1974, and somebody who might have some third or fourth-hand hearsay knowledge of what happened should resign but Paul Quinn's mother wanting to know what happened her poor son beaten to death with every bone in his body broken should be denied answers by an elected Sinn Fein politician.

It is a strange world that Sinn Fein cheerleaders inhabit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

grayzer75 wrote: »
    Harris was involved with special branch in the north who worked alongside the FRU - the guys behind hundreds of state sponsored murders in the north. You won't get the evidence because they have a habit of 'losing' it.

Vauxhall and Whitehall must have rubbed their eyes with disbelief when the thick Paddys put one of their spooks in the most senior police position in Ireland.

You couldn't make it up.
    How long would it take them to imbed someone and to try and move up the ranks and still not reach halfway up to a Garda commissioner before being able to relay any half way decent info.

You wouldn't mind if they brought in a police chief constable etc from Britain but to even consider the likes of Harris from the RUC/PSNI/MI5 is absolutely mind boggling with all his allegiances and baggage.

No wonder he wants to journey down by another jurisdictions vehicles and officers to Dublin after the weekend,gives him more time to debrief his handlers of the weeks events in Ireland.

tipptom wrote: »
    Vauxhall and Whitehall must have rubbed their eyes with disbelief when the thick Paddys put one of their spooks in the most senior police position in Ireland.

You couldn't make it up.
    How long would it take them to imbed someone and to try and move up the ranks and still not reach halfway up to a Garda commissioner before being able to relay any half way decent info.

You wouldn't mind if they brought in a police chief constable etc from Britain but to even consider the likes of Harris from the RUC/PSNI/MI5 is absolutely mind boggling with all his allegiances and baggage.

No wonder he wants to journey down by another jurisdictions vehicles and officers to Dublin after the weekend,gives him more time to debrief his handlers of the weeks events in Ireland.

Such absolute brainwashed bull. Anyway there was a war on. It’s time to move on and forget about any atrocities he was involved in. Shinners really are a special type of stupid

Such absolute brainwashed bull. Anyway there was a war on. It’s time to move on and forget about any atrocities he was involved in. Shinners really are a special type of stupid
    Blueshirt/Unionists supporters bring stupid to another level In Ireland and their whinging since people have let them know that they no longer will put up with this in recent elections is something beautiful to behold especially as evidenced on here.

Blueshirt/Unionists supporters bring stupid to another level In Ireland and their whinging since people have let them know that they no longer will put up with this in recent elections is something beautiful to behold especially as evidenced on here.

Just because someone doesn’t hero worship Hairy Loo McDonald or vote for your terrorist loving Sinn Fein, does not make them a unionist or Fine Gael voter . It’s the go to shinnerbot response/deflection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

You couldn't make it up.

What has become more and more obvious since the FG RIC debacle is the degree to which West Britism has become embedded in Irish media, academia, policing, politics and culture. The howling about SF is the deep fear that people are waking up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Just because someone doesn’t hero worship Hairy Loo McDonald or vote for your terrorist loving Sinn Fein, does not make them a unionist or Fine Gael voter . It’s the go to shinnerbot response/deflection

True that Joe, nor does using the tag "Hairy Loo McDonald" mean they're 8 years old either.

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    What has become more and more obvious since the FG RIC debacle is the degree to which West Britism has become embedded in Irish media, academia, policing, politics and culture. The howling about SF is the deep fear that people are waking up.

More of the usual insult throwing . Typical shinner retort. Blue shirt/ffg west Brit. Can’t actually debate any issues just throw insults. Shows the intellect of the typical shinnerbot

Believe it or not , people can be republicans and nationalists without supporting Scum Fein.

Wow,how can you argue with that intelligence or bitterness.

Let it go Hun,the Shinners are the most popular party in Ireland and people like you are relics of the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Believe it or not , people can be republicans and nationalists without supporting Scum Fein.

Illiterate too.

Wow,how can you argue with that intelligence or bitterness.

Let it go Hun,the Shinners are the most popular party in Ireland and people like you are relics of the past.

They are and should form a govt. that’s the way democracy works . I hope they do . They would soon be found out for the lying scum that they are

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Sinn Fein don't own Republicanism nor nationalism either, so it's not hard to believe.

FGers and Ex Sinn Fein voters tend to be particularly bitter towards SF though, and the ex Sinn Fein voters tend to be ex Sinn Fein voters for various reasons. Some** even go off to become dissidents Joe.

**Some referring to people who used to support Sinn Fein and still class themselves as republicans or nationalist.

More of the usual insult throwing . Typical shinner retort. Blue shirt/ffg west Brit. Can’t actually debate any issues just throw insults. Shows the intellect of the typical shinnerbot

Your two posts looks good together, have a lie down for yourself and take deep breaths.

[/B]
    Your two posts looks good together, have a lie down for yourself and take deep breaths.

Says the person who called me a hun cos I dared say something critical of his beloved party and their dear leader

• Advertisement

It’s in the past. There was a war. Time to move on. Is what the shinners would say if it was the other way round

But they are not saying that. They want to sort the legacy issues. Its the British Government who are not in favour.

Advertisement