Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí: Provo Army Council oversees PIRA & SF

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭timhenn

Point?

Where does it mention becoming a partitionist?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

timhenn wrote: »
    I suppose you have to accept who you are eventually.

That's all you got? Disappointing.

timhenn wrote: »
    Where does it mention becoming a partitionist?

Did you not see the words "Irish Republic"? Odd that you didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I'm very proud of living in the Republic of Ireland and of its constitution.

Out of interest, are you proud of this section too?

Article 3

It is the firm will of the Irish Nation, in harmony and friendship, to unite all the people who share the territory of the island of Ireland, in all the diversity of their identities and traditions, recognising that a united Ireland shall be brought about only by peaceful means with the consent of a majority of the people

That's all you got? Disappointing.

I'm not disappointed in you, my expectations were very low. :D

• Advertisement

Did you not see the words "Irish Republic"? Odd that you didn't.

Did you see anything about betraying the 6?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

Really? How strange. I'm very proud of living in the Republic of Ireland and of its constitution. Different strokes I suppose.

You find an outline of the history of the name in a changing constitution strange? It’s simply historical fact. Perhaps not surprising that you find it strange.

I’m very proud to live in Ireland and to live in further hope of change to a progressive Republic of 32 counties which is run fit the benefit of the citizens.

Out of interest, are you proud of this section too?

Article 3

It is the firm will of the Irish Nation, in harmony and friendship, to unite all the people who share the territory of the island of Ireland, in all the diversity of their identities and traditions, recognising that a united Ireland shall be brought about only by peaceful means with the consent of a majority of the people

Is it in the constitution?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    I don't particularly like SF or their past but every time I see this sort of stuff trotted out against them it just makes me decide to give them a preference somewhere on my ballot sheet.

They renounced violence to enter normal politics decades ago. People voted for them out of substantive concerns about issues like health and housing. Debate them on these issues instead of this film flam. The public deserves better than being treated like children with this sort of bogeyman politics.

I don't think I'm the only one who finds this counterproductive either.

I don’t think Sinn Fein ever actively promoted violence, and then renounced it. They did back the “peace process” in the 90s. The IRA still exist in some quieter form, as shown by the Northern Bank robbery, Slab etc. If the Army Council have no control over Sinn Fein today - You should read the history of (provisional) Sinn Fein in the 1970s and early 80s and ask, when did the Army Council step back from directing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Is it in the constitution?

Yes

• Advertisement

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    You find an outline of the history of the name in a changing constitution strange? It’s simply historical fact. Perhaps not surprising that you find it strange.

I’m very proud to live in Ireland and to live in further hope of change to a progressive Republic of 32 counties which is run fit the benefit of the citizens.

I'm very proud to live in Ireland. And if a 32 county Ireland comes into existence, that is inclusive and benefits all of its inhabitants equally, then I've no problem with that. Good that we agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I'm very proud to live in Ireland. And if a 32 county Ireland comes into existence, that is inclusive and benefits all of its inhabitants equally, then I've no problem with that. Good that we agree.

The majority, of course. Will always be some sado wants us in the common wealth or some shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,100 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

holyhead wrote: »
    I find the reluctance to go into government with SF interesting. If the DUP can do it why not FF and FG. Both FF and FG promoted and pushed for the idea of a SF + Unionist party government in N.I. Their reluctance to go into government smacks of hypocrisy. Albert Reynolds and Bertie Ahern both engaged fully with SF in the interest of peace in N.I. Yet Micheal Martin a belated successor to the aforementioned refuses to go into with SF. I suppose you could say he is being principled having set out his stall not to go into government with SF but still.

That was all done to get the IRA to stop killing people. There is no need to put special arrangements into place here just to get SF into government. There is no danger that the IRA will start up again, if there is another FG government.

That was all done to get the IRA to stop killing people. There is no need to put special arrangements into place here just to get SF into government. There is no danger that the IRA will start up again, if there is another FG government.

You know why they were and why they stopped right?
    You might want to tell the FG online spin machine. They've been on over drive since the arse fell out of their election campaign.

Yes

Of course it is. What about the amendments? You happy with them?

Bowie wrote: »
    The majority, of course. Will always be some sado wants us in the common wealth or some shyte.

Prefer the EU myself. But who knows what the future will bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

So FG are threating to restart the IRA unless they get into Government? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,100 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

You know why they were and why they stopped right?
    You might want to tell the FG online spin machine. They've been on over drive since the arse fell out of their election campaign.

You can tell them yourself.

Prefer the EU myself. But who knows what the future will bring.

Well thankfully we got the British mostly off side before Brexit right?

We don’t. You’ll figure it out.

• Advertisement

Well thankfully we got the British mostly off side before Brexit right?

Depends. They intend to interpret the Withdrawal Agreement very differently to how Ireland/The EU intend to interpret it. But it's a hard right Tory government led by a serial liar so I expect them to blame Ireland and hold our economy to ransom. What would you expect from a donkey but a kick?

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    We don’t. You’ll figure it out.

Nah. Not interested.

Depends. They intend to interpret the Withdrawal Agreement very differently to how Ireland/The EU intend to interpret it. But it's a hard right Tory government led by a serial liar so I expect them to blame Ireland and hold our economy to ransom. What would you expect from a donkey but a kick?

It will be very interesting. They'll work based on greed. The DUP will be hoisted over their shoulders or ignored depending on what's in it for Boris. The 'dear old blighty' rhetoric is only useful when it's filling the pockets of the right people.

It will be very interesting. They'll work based on greed. The DUP will be hoisted over their shoulders or ignored depending on what's in it for Boris. The dear old blighty rhetoric is only useful when it's filling the pockets of the right people.

Exactly. Follow the money. Tory party funding is murky to say the least. People stand to make a lot of money out of a Brexit. English nationalism is just a useful idiot for the Old Etonian and his cronies and the DUP would be fools to think that Johnson cares about them.

Nah. Not interested.

We all know that.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I genuinely don't understand the "noise" with these kinds of stories....

SF have very very close links (and are probably still controlled by) a group of people who have made a living from murder, intimidation, extorsion, robbing banks, laundering diesel, stolen cash, drug dealing etc etc etc.

This is hardly f*(king news....
    Yes and those who crashed the country in 2007/8 didn't do a worse job.. suicides/marital breakdown/ mass emmigration? Continuing large scale debt on a personal and national level .

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

SF must be given a reasonable list of demands on their inclusion in any Government. Links between it and the IRA must be cut. Excessive Publix extolling of the campaign must disappear . Etc etc

You do know that the PIRA killed less innocents than the british side don't you? Was it not done to stop them killing Nationalists to force them to remain in the uk?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

I don't think the British Government were too worried about a few people getting killed. What they were worried about was the Provos targetting the City of London (Canary Wharf, London Stock exchange etc). That struck the fear of god in them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

What put the total kiebosh on any chance of PIRA reactivation militarily was September 11th 2001
    It shut the door to any support for that monetarily in the States

Advertisement