Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí: Provo Army Council oversees PIRA & SF

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Mortelaro wrote: »
    What put the total kiebosh on any chance of PIRA reactivation militarily was September 11th 2001
    It shut the door to any support for that monetarily in the States

Plenty of other sources of finance now - such as diesel laundering (I believe they are exporting it to the UK now), bank robberies. A couple of drones could do a fierce amount of damage to police stations, buildings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Bobtheman wrote: »
    SF must be given a reasonable list of demands on their inclusion in any Government. Links between it and the IRA must be cut. Excessive Publix extolling of the campaign must disappear . Etc etc

dictatorship much? first pretend the PIRA exist and then demand they stop existing. pure genius

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

maccored wrote: »
    dictatorship much? first pretend the PIRA exist and then demand they stop existing. pure genius

They are playing fast and loose. If PIRA exists, if you have intelligence the Special Criminal Court is there to imprison on the word of a Garda...do your job Leo if you believe Mary Lou is the leader and has the power to 'disband the IRA'.

They are playing fast and loose. If PIRA exists, if you have intelligence the Special Criminal Court is there to imprison on the word of a Garda...do your job Leo if you believe Mary Lou is the leader and has the power to 'disband the IRA'.

and then if they actually read what was published properly, they'd see all it says basically is that former provos might now work or volunteer for SF, theres no illegality and its purely political.

and then if they actually read what was published properly, they'd see all it says basically is that former provos might now work or volunteer for SF, theres no illegality and its purely political.

Mary Lou should present herself at Garda HQ ...'Arrest me and charge me, or shut the f*** up'.

I'm being serious actually.

• Advertisement

Mary Lou should present herself at Garda HQ ...'Arrest me and charge me, or shut the f*** up'.

well they did try arresting the president of SF before, around election time .... not like they dont have form for it.

well they did try arresting the president of SF before, around election time .... not like they dont have form for it.

cough cough..that would have been when Drew was in charge?

cough cough..that would have been when Drew was in charge?

ssshhhhh. it'll be too confusing for some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

jm08 wrote: »
    Plenty of other sources of finance now - such as diesel laundering (I believe they are exporting it to the UK now), bank robberies. A couple of drones could do a fierce amount of damage to police stations, buildings etc.

I suppose we'll all be electric shortly so that's the end of that
    Drones can be scrambled
    All immaterial anyhow
    Past

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

tipptom wrote: »
    Wow,how can you argue with that intelligence or bitterness.

Let it go Hun,the Shinners are the most popular party in Ireland and people like you are relics of the past.

Announcing that they are the most popular party is a bit like giving the kid who finished last in the egg & spoon race a special prize. Meanwhile back in the real world Michael Martin will be Taoiseach and Mary Lou and her fellow TD's ( some of whom she's never met before!) will sit on the opposition benches wondering how their magic money policies aren't really working.

• Advertisement

Announcing that they are the most popular party is a bit like giving the kid who finished last in the egg & spoon race a special prize. Meanwhile back in the real world Michael Martin will be Taoiseach and Mary Lou and her fellow TD's ( some of whom she's never met before!) will sit on the opposition benches wondering how their magic money policies aren't really working.

That is the best outcome FF and FG can hope for alright. Massive plus for SF judging by the headwind they are growing around the country.

The Greens will rot from the inside, any FF/FG merger/coalition, quicker than they will do it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,100 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

One of your better ideas.

What would she do that for?
    Has she committed a crime?

bubblypop wrote: »
    What would she do that for?
    Has she committed a crime?

According to Leo, yes. She is leading a party that is run by an illegal organisation.

According to Leo, yes. She is leading a party that is run by an illegal organisation.

Nope.
    Try again.
    She hasn't committed an offence has she?

Nope.
    Try again.
    She hasn't committed an offence has she?

Explain what you mean by 'nope'?

Is the IRA an illegal organisation?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

That is the best outcome FF and FG can hope for alright. Massive plus for SF judging by the headwind they are growing around the country.

The Greens will rot from the inside, any FF/FG merger/coalition, quicker than they will do it themselves.

I've no doubt they will also do well in the next election whenever that is but you're as deduded as Brid Smith was last night if you think the majority of people here want a left Government.

Nobody claimed Mary Lou is a member of an unauthorised organisation.

Sinn Fein is not an unauthorised organisation.

Nobody claimed Mary Lou is a member of an unauthorised organisation.

Sinn Fein is not an unauthorised organisation.

Sinn Fein is an organisation run with the IRA in 'overarching control' according to Leo and the Garda Commissioner.

Why is an illegal organisation being allowed to do this? What other illegal organisations are being allowed to operate in this way?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Sinn Fein is an organisation run with the IRA in 'overarching control' according to Leo and the Garda Commissioner.

Why is an illegal organisation being allowed to do this? What other illegal organisations are being allowed to operate in this way?

People shouldn't go down rabbit-holes with this type of nonsensical arguments. We have been here before.

We know that Gerry Adams is a liar. He told one story to Spotlight about his knowledge and cover-up of child sexual abuse by his brother, and another story to a court. Francie asked why wasn't he convicted of perjury. The reason being is that the reasonable defence of lying to the tv programme not the court meant that a conviction would be extremely unlikely especially as Liam Adams wouldn't testify, so no objective evidence exists as to which story was the truth.

This case would be similar. Firstly, you would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt both the existence and membership of the IRA Army Council. Secondly, you would have to provide evidence beyond a reasonable doubt that the Army Council is exercising control and direction over Sinn Fein, such evidence having to consist of hard documentation, recordings of phone conversations, meetings etc. Then finally, you would have to prove that Sinn Fein wouldn't have taken those decisions anyway.

So while the Gardai and the PSNI would probably have some such evidence and almost certainly inside informer information, they would be a long way short of being able to produce such evidence for a criminal court case with the standard of beyond a reasonable doubt. However, I believe that they would have enough evidence to stand up in a civil case where the evidence standard is on the balance of probabilities. Why would I say that? Because Mary-Lou and Sinn Fein could easily have sued the PSNI and the Gardai if that wasn't the case. That they haven't tells you all you need to know.

Francie knows all this, but he is trying to drag posters down a rabbit hole into a warren of claim and counter-claim, bluff and buster that ultimately won't change the fact that the evidence demonstrates that on the balance of probability Sinn Fein is controlled by the IRA Army Council.

Of course, a real danger of Sinn Fein being in government for even a short while is that the names of informers within the IRA become known to them and retribution is taken making the job of the PSNI and the Gardai to monitor the activities of the IRA Army Council that more difficult.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »

Francie knows all this, but he is trying to drag posters down a rabbit hole into a warren of claim and counter-claim, bluff and buster that ultimately won't change the fact that the evidence demonstrates that on the balance of probability Sinn Fein is controlled by the IRA Army Council.

How do you know the quality of the Garda intelligence?

The word of a senior Garda is enough in the SCC.

I.E. the powers exist to arrest and charge. Yet it hasn't been done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

blanch152 wrote: »

Its still a useful conversation to have. That SF/IRA cannot kill off the smell of gunpowder about them with clear denials and condemnation speaks volumes. And many people have woken up to what SF/IRA really still are and represent.
    The positive to come out of their trumpeting and high prominence since the election, is that it has prompted more conversation and understanding for many people, who will not be quite so trigger happy (an SF/IRA pun there thrown in for free) to vote for them next time round.

Its still a useful conversation to have. That SF/IRA cannot kill off the smell of gunpowder about them with clear denials and condemnation speaks volumes. And many people have woken up to what SF/IRA really still are and represent.
    The positive to come out of their trumpeting and high prominence since the election, is that it has prompted more conversation and understanding for many people, who will not be quite so trigger happy (an SF/IRA pun there thrown in for free) to vote for them next time round.

Well after the election we all saw the poll that showed that SF's share had gone up to 35%.

Well after the election we all saw the poll that showed that SF's share had gone up to 35%.

That poll was conducted not in one day but one evening
    Yup one evening
    That's not standard
    Until I see MbrI or Red C showing similar, I wouldn't rely on it
    It's very very highly unlikely, similar to the poll at the start of the election campaign showing FF at 31% I think it was
    But a poll conducted over an evening sounds like a telephone poll to me
    Not much time for proper verification as to who answered the phone or filled in the email survey

How do you know the quality of the Garda intelligence?

The word of a senior Garda is enough in the SCC.

I.E. the powers exist to arrest and charge. Yet it hasn't been done.

Ah stop now Frankie!
    You know there is no power to arrest or charge Mary Lou

Mortelaro wrote: »
    That poll was conducted not in one day but one evening
    Yup one evening
    That's not standard
    Until I see MbrI or Red C showing similar, I wouldn't rely on it
    It's very very highly unlikely, similar to the poll at the start of the election campaign showing FF at 31% I think it was
    But a poll conducted over an evening sounds like a telephone poll to me
    Not much time for proper verification as to who answered the phone or filled in the email survey

Fair enough. But so far, it is the only indication we have and is better - way better than 'I feel it in my waters' type opinion.

Ah stop now Frankie!
    You know there is no power to arrest or charge Mary Lou

It's a false narrative anyway, theres no law against who advises Sinn Fein
    The script writers know this
    But they want their oscar so must stick to the script

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Well I'm sure SF will bask in that glory as they sit on the opposition benches for the next 5 years....at least:D

Fair enough. But so far, it is the only indication we have and is better - way better than 'I feel it in my waters' type opinion.

The best indicator will be the council elections in 2024

• Advertisement

Well I'm sure SF will bask in that glory as they sit on the opposition benches for the next 5 years....at least:D

Well as said after the election, there isn't a scenario were SF can lose really. Being the main opposition party is a platform for growth.

Advertisement