Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí: Provo Army Council oversees PIRA & SF

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

holyhead wrote: »
    In a sense SF are responsible for the continued link between themselves and the IRA in the eyes of the public. With shouts of 'up the ra', tiocfaidh ar la, and picture of Bobby Sands etc. It is Mary Lou's contention that the IRA is a relic of the past. The Garda Commissioner seems to view them as still being in existence and a relevant threat. If Mary Lou has no connection to the IRA then the question has to be asked how can she definitively say they are extinct.

She can say they dont run Sinn Fein - looks like you want to give out if she's lying while also giving out if she's telling the truth.

When did they say the PIRA were a threat?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Just a quick reminder that Arlene and co are directed top to bottom by the orange order and more recently before visiting downing st she had a meeting with some convicted UDA members in relation to brexit.

Let’s not forget that.

Because the suspicion is that the GC has been used for political ends. He issues a vague statement and precisely what was probably hoped, happened.
    People like Mortelaro and yourself read between lines to arrive at shock horror SF is controlled by the IRA conclusions.

He was asked a question. He answered it.
    He stands over what he said.
    The report states that all paramilitary organisations active during the troubles are still in existence.
    It also says that the army council, according to members, direct the PIRA & Sinn Fein.
    A Garda report from the same year states that the army council do not exist in the Republic of Ireland.
    So, there ya go, no-one is being arrested by ags for anything.
    AGS are the intelligence service in Ireland & as such keep intelligence & information on many many different organizations, as they should, wouldn't you agree?

OT but the widespread panic about SF across boards dwarfs even the corona hysteria
    It’s gas

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

bubblypop wrote: »
    He was asked a question. He answered it.
    He stands over what he said.
    The report states that all paramilitary organisations active during the troubles are still in existence.
    It also says that the army council, according to members, direct the PIRA & Sinn Fein.
    A Garda report from the same year states that the army council do not exist in the Republic of Ireland.
    So, there ya go, no-one is being arrested by ags for anything.
    AGS are the intelligence service in Ireland & as such keep intelligence & information on many many different organizations, as they should, wouldn't you agree?

Finally we get there. That is something and well done to you for finally accepting what was actually being said.

• Advertisement

Finally we get there. That is something and well done to you for finally accepting what was actually being said.

Sure I didnt have a problem with what was said.
    I do however have a problem with a party down here going into government if they are taking orders from their army council in the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I do however have a problem with a party down here going into government if they are taking orders from their army council in the north.
    In order for peace in Northern Ireland a lot of things were put in the past, or 'forgotten'
    That's the price of peace.
    The IRA took a long time to agree to forgo violence. It was 2005, I think, or 2006 before they put violence behind them.
    Everyone involved in the peace process had to accept what the other side committed to.
    That's what they did.

Remind me of all the sides involved in the GFA, could have sworn that the Irish govt signed it too, but yet they want SF (whom are apparently controlled by an illegal army council) to sit down with the DUP and form a govt, FG were even advocating SF take their seats in Westminster a short while ago during Brexit talks.

Yet they don't seem to have to accept what all others signed up to?

Seriously?

So how do you normally assess if a party is acting in the interests of somebody outside it?

McMurphy wrote: »
    Remind me of all the sides involved in the GFA, could have sworn that the Irish govt signed it too, but yet they want SF (whom are apparently controlled by an illegal army council) to sit down with the DUP and form a govt, FG were even advocating SF take their seats in Westminster a short while ago during Brexit talks.

Seriously?

As I said previously, the 'logic' of certain positions isn't long being exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Mortelaro wrote: »
    You dont seem to get (again) that accepting the GFA and the special position of NI and not wanting the IRA deciding government policies can be mutually held positions by voters in the Republic part of the island

You can hold it if you don’t mind being a hypocrite.

• Advertisement

Seriously?

Who don't?
    Everyone signed up to it.

So how do you normally assess if a party is acting in the interests of somebody outside it?

I'm not sure what you mean by this?
    I don't want a party in government here in the south, that has to ask and/or look for direction from a secret army council from Northern Ireland.
    It's pretty simple.

Who don't?
    Everyone signed up to it.

You ask me a question, then go on to answer it.
    I don't want a party in government here in the south, that has to ask and/or look for direction from a secret army council from Northern Ireland.
    It's pretty simple.

You say above that if an army council do exist that folk involved in the GFA are all expected to be forgotten by all sides - because that's the price of peace.
    In order for peace in Northern Ireland a lot of things were put in the past, or 'forgotten'
    That's the price of peace.
    The IRA took a long time to agree to forgo violence. It was 2005, I think, or 2006 before they put violence behind them.
    Everyone involved in the peace process had to accept what the other side committed to.

But that only applies to the north and Britain's parliament, you don't want the same logic applied here.

Will you get your story straight, or do you agree your stance is hypocritical?

But that only applies to the north and Britain's parliament, you don't want the same logic applied here.

Will you get your story straight, or do you agree your stance is hypocritical?

I'm saying I don't want it.
    That's my choice.
    Northern Ireland, is a different country. Whatever they had to do there in order for peace, that's grand.

It's pretty simple.

I am asking, how do you assess that a party is 'asking and/or looking for direction' from somebody who is not elected?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Runaways wrote: »
    Just a quick reminder that Arlene and co are directed top to bottom by the orange order and more recently before visiting downing st she had a meeting with some convicted UDA members in relation to brexit.

Let’s not forget that.

Thank you for telling us this. I will add the DUP to the list of parties I deem unsuitable for government in the South.

I am asking, how do you assess that a party is 'asking and/or looking for direction' from somebody who is not elected?

I don't.
    The security forces and intelligence services so.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Thank you for telling us this. I will add the DUP to the list of parties I deem unsuitable for government in the South.

As if they’d ever run in a UI. Didn’t they say they’d all leave?

So we demand Dup SF govern in NI but they’re not fit to govern here

Problematic logic that

I don't.
    The security forces and intelligence services so.

If those influencing are engaged in exclusively peaceful and democratic politics, what business would it be of security and intelligence services?

You logic is catching you out again.

You simply don't want to give up power...that is a legitimate point of view, but excluding them isn't, if you are a democrat that is.

As if they’d ever run in a UI. Didn’t they say they’d all leave?

So we demand Dup SF govern in NI but they’re not fit to govern here

Problematic logic that

No problem with the logic at all.

In Northern Ireland, the DUP and SF are incapable of governing to the extent that a special arrangement for powersharing had to be set up to guide them in how to govern. Despite all the special arrangements, they still managed between them to refuse to govern for three years.

Neither of the two parties are suitable for government in a normal democracy.

• Advertisement

No problem with the logic at all.

In Northern Ireland, the DUP and SF are incapable of governing to the extent that a special arrangement for powersharing had to be set up to guide them in how to govern. Despite all the special arrangements, they still managed between them to refuse to govern for three years.

Neither of the two parties are suitable for government in a normal democracy.

Yet you have been the recipient of numerous moderator instructions to cease from whinging about them not taking their seats in Westminster in Brexit threads.

Get up the yard blanch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭dam099

jm08 wrote: »
    Sinn Fein have plenty of legitimate ways of raising money (i.e., fundraisers in New York that Trump attended for example). They also take money from their public representatives, not to mention being willed large amounts of money from disaffected British citizens. I don't think even any of the dissident republicans are involved in drug dealing (more likely to kneecap drug dealers) that seems to be the money earner for the loyalist paramiltaries.

Neither of those 2 sources are "legitimate" ways of raising money for the party in the Republic of Ireland.

Yet you have been the recipient of numerous moderator instructions to cease from whinging about them not taking their seats in Westminster in Brexit threads.

Get up the yard blanch.

No bother taking the DUP into government when the Tories needed them.

Wasn't gonna be a bother for Michael Martin when he thought he had a 50 seat powerbase. :D

mrongeno wrote: »
    Why are people always saying that killers are in charge of SF?

What is it are we human or are we dancers, them guys?

Is there someone called Mr. Brightside in SF?
    mrongeno wrote: »
    Genuine question.

Why did you post the question last night, delete it and repost it again just now?

dam099 wrote: »
    Neither of those 2 sources are "legitimate" ways of raising money for the party in the Republic of Ireland.

Tent at Galway races would like a word

Get up the yard blanch.

Taking seats in parliament does not equate to being in government.

I believe that Sinn Fein should take their seats in whatever parliament that they are elected to, but also that no other party or independent should consider them suitable for government.

Those views are fully compatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭dam099

Tent at Galway races would like a word

Not in favour of that either but doesnt change the fact that foreign funding of political parties here is illegal. There are also now limits on the size of donations that could be collected at events such as those at the Galway races, if they are breached SIPO should take action.

dam099 wrote: »
    Not in favour of that either but doesnt change the fact that foreign funding of political parties here is illegal.

Not if it’s brought back to NI. Loophole all hell out of that they have.

I’m not sure theyre still doing that by the way

Taking seats in parliament does not equate to being in government.

I believe that Sinn Fein should take their seats in whatever parliament that they are elected to, but also that no other party or independent should consider them suitable for government.

Those views are fully compatible.

So opposing political parties can decide that and ignore what the people say?

And you pretend to be a democrat?

• Advertisement

If those influencing are engaged in exclusively peaceful and democratic politics, what business would it be of security and intelligence services?

Intelligence is held by services here on a wide and varied amount of organisations.
    They are not all neccesarily involved in crime.
    That's the job of those services.
    Would you think that AGS should not hold intelligence? On anyone? Or any organisation?

Advertisement