Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help on string lights wiring

Options
  • 21-02-2020 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭

Hello people I have a string light here with a 4 wire controller I am looking to remove the controller and connect it directly to mains but I'm not sure which ones to connect to the mains.. TIA

DSC_8635.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

gian wrote: »
    Hello people I have a string light here with a 4 wire controller I am looking to remove the controller and connect it directly to mains but I'm not sure which ones to connect to the mains.. TIA

DSC_8635.JPG

Are the lights rated for mains voltage?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭gian

Are the lights rated for mains voltage?

The controller to mains is 230v but the controller to the lights are higher I'm assuming the controller is some sort of amplifier? Please see the image attached maybe I'm doing something wrong

DSC_8637.JPG

DSC_8636-01.jpeg

The controller to mains is 230v but the controller to the lights are higher I'm assuming the controller is some sort of amplifier? Please see the image attached maybe I'm doing something wrong

DSC_8637.JPG

DSC_8636-01.jpeg

I have no idea why you are getting that sort of voltage but if that was my multimeter I'd be inclined to throw it in the bin as I could never trust any measurement after seeing that.
    You should be getting a much lower reading going to the lights.

I have no idea why you are getting that sort of voltage but if that was my multimeter I'd be inclined to throw it in the bin as I could never trust any measurement after seeing that.
    You should be getting a much lower reading going to the lights.

Yea I think you are right it's a dirt cheap rolson multimeter I'm was assuming the light would be at 12v as they are led

Yea I think you are right it's a dirt cheap rolson multimeter I'm was assuming the light would be at 12v as they are led

Try to check the voltage with another meter if you can.
    Can you open the controller and see what's inside it?

• Advertisement

Try to check the voltage with another meter if you can.
    Can you open the controller and see what's inside it?

Will do sir. Just wondering though I'm getting correct readings on the mains which is 230v?

Will do sir. Just wondering though I'm getting correct readings on the mains which is 230v?

I don't know to be honest. The only thing I know is there shouldn't be 457 volts going to the lights so that's why I think that reading is wrong.

I don't know to be honest. The only thing I know is there shouldn't be 457 volts going to the lights so that's why I think that reading is wrong.

You are probably right on this I'm just stumped as it shows the correct reading on the mains plug �� but not on the lights I was under the impression it would be the same or lower be for I tested it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Try setting the multimeter to dc

salmocab wrote: »
    Try setting the multimeter to dc

Hi I just did it's giving me 1 or -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Hi I just did it's giving me 1 or -

I’ve just re-read your First post, what exactly are you trying to do? If you connect those leds to mains you will blow them as the voltage would be way too high for them.

salmocab wrote: »
    I’ve just re-read your First post, what exactly are you trying to do? If you connect those leds to mains you will blow them as the voltage would be way too high for them.

I wanted to hang them outdoors I have connected them to a rf relay that can turn it on and off via remote problem is when I turn it off and back on it resets and goes back to the flashing settings I just want them to be on and not flashing or anything, if they need to have a lower voltage I can get a led driver for it just want to know which of those wires are the positive and negative from my finding (if I'm correct) the left most wire is the positive and the three other wires are the negative

They won't last pissing time outside .

They won't last pissing time outside .

They are waterproof and are built to be outdoors, also they're only gonna be hanged on summer time

So on the multimeter at 500v DC it's showing me 200v DC I think that's the correct reading now right?

Advertisement