Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feb 29th - Snowfall/Wintry Conditions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Dew points beginning to drop. Shannon, Cork and Kerry airports all now with DPs of 0c. Temps in Shannon still 5c, Cork is still 3c. That 0c DP and 3c temp combo in Cork is still too high. Need them to sum to less than 1c I think (as well as many other factors). That said I note the next incoming shower to Cork on the netweather radar is a bit pinker than previous ones.

Getting there hopefully.....

Suns shining, blue skies here in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

snowing now - donegal town roofs covered,roads slushy

temp drop from 3.6 at 10:20am (it was sunny) to 0.5 now !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭mumo3

Sun splitting the sky here in Dolphins Barn but its freezing out there, finish work at 2pm hope it holds off until I get home from the school run ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Latest satellite image. More showers to come, but nothing particularly organised in terms of minor troughing showing up as of yet. Maybe later perhaps.

glOBby8.gif

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

Dew points beginning to drop. Shannon, Cork and Kerry airports all now with DPs of 0c. Temps in Shannon still 5c, Cork is still 3c. That 0c DP and 3c temp combo in Cork is still too high. Need them to sum to less than 1c I think (as well as many other factors). That said I note the next incoming shower to Cork on the netweather radar is a bit pinker than previous ones.

Getting there hopefully.....

Heavy sleet/ snow in macroom currently temps definitely dropping and it's so dark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

What a difference 10 minutes can make. Sticking in Newbridge now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Snowing nicely in Naas

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Sunny and green here

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

This clouds taking a fat minute to reach Dublin lol

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Caught in a huge blustery hail shower in Tralee, so heavy and squally the hail got into my boots!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Some beefy showers of hail/snow in Westport. It has the makings of a good day ahead for us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Trying to snow in Bishopstown Cork City.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

TTLF wrote: »
    This clouds taking a fat minute to reach Dublin lol

In clontarf and think it's going to rain 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Lightly snowing in cork city, well heavily but small flakes. Too wet to stick but it’s something!

Edit:Heavy snow!!

Edit 2: and back to sleety stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 craicdood

Lads I've followed the weather pages on boards for about 5 years(a huge thanks to all who keep us all informed), finally I'm gonna jump in. In the recent snow events over the past weeks the snow line has never made it as far as Dublin and seems to dissipate just over the Dublin mountains. As the front is coming in from the west, do we need this event to ramp up in a big way in order for the showers to start hitting the band inside the M50? I know its early days but looking at the charts this just doesn't seem to have the consistency to make it close to the east coast over the mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭mumo3

If it snows heavy right now in Dublin we'd be in trouble, a really dry ground :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 brandy555

JeffK88 wrote: »
    What a difference 10 minutes can make. Sticking in Newbridge now
    Keep us updated JeffK88 - whatever about being snowed in I def dont fancy being snowed out!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

A good hour plus of moderate snow across Laois between 11.15am and 12.45pm. Sticking on grass lightly and on cars etc... the hills between Stradbally and Portlaoise look like they have a good few cm accumulated. Skies are breaking now, so expect the sun to quickly thaw out what little bit there is. The concrete and tarmacadam surfaces are slushy - probably owing to the ground temperatures which were up between 3c and 4c at the 9am observations this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Knock 2 degrees now with the dew point now just gone below zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Nice shower of snow in Kilkenny city.

Not sticking yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

Some lightning and thunder about 10 minutes ago in Shanbally near Carrigaline. Came in a blast of heavy rain, hail and sleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭highdef

Needs a few more frames to be more sure but there are hints of cyclonic circulation to be seen in the shower clouds several hundred kilometres off the north west coast. Perhaps something to keep an eye on.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

highdef wrote: »
    Needs a few more frames to be more sure but there are hints of cyclonic circulation to be seen in the shower clouds several hundred kilometres off the north west coast. Perhaps something to keep an eye on.

OK: so what does that mean in weather terms/effects please? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Sunny and damp in Clare
    Bit chilly

East Clare today, in the woods... Cratloe area

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sudden squalls and heavy noisy precipitation against the roof and windows every few minutes, Sounds like hail more than snow..

west Mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

highdef wrote: »

Great ! A Cyclone. That's all we need

Graces7 wrote: »
    OK: so what does that mean in weather terms/effects please? :)

A polar low. Can deliver potent spells of heavy squally snow. Christmas Morning 2004 was one such event that some of the nippers might remember. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Polar Low!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

A shower passing here that has rain, hail and wet snow all falling at the same time and coupled with a jarringly chill wind to add to the delight. This is the Irish weather at its most hideous.

New Moon

• Advertisement

Polar Low!

http://sat24.com/

One is tempted to spin up - keep an eye on the dark centre dropping SSE from the letters CET on the top of the animation! :eek:

Advertisement