Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feb 29th - Snowfall/Wintry Conditions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Snowing the last hour or two in Kildare, heavy enough showers.

Grass and cars white but not sticking too much, thankfully it's stopped now and anything there is melting fast.

Looks like there's more on the way later on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Heavy snow showers now in the Barnesmore Gap Donegal.

Heavy grapple in Sligo about 20 minutes ago temperature dropped from 4C to 2C.
    0334 (26).jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

sleety showers in Kilkenny city
    just the wrong side of marginal again at the mo but this evening ive high hopes for some proper white gold :D
    Robert KK might have some snow on his elevated position near the city ??????
    imo the front tomorrow will just about brush the south coast :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

sadly nothing here in Meath, radar looks very empty over most of Leinster as well, particularly northern Leinster.. The good thing about this spell is it gives us a chance to attempt to dry out over the next 2 or 3 days.

Eastern areas should stay mostly dry tomorrow and Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Very cold and windy near mallow but mostly just rain so far and the odd flake.

And just as I say that it starts to snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Gusting wet snow here in Ringaskiddy Cork, not sticking unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Very cold and windy near mallow but mostly just rain so far and the odd flake.

And just as I say that it starts to snow.

Snowing heavily in Kanturk and sticking

Santy2015 wrote: »
    Snowing heavily in Kanturk and sticking

Heavy enough here too but very wet snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Likewise in Cork city

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Heavy snow shower whitened the car and grass but quickly melted here on the Kilkenny hills. Going to do some grocery shopping to be on the safe side...running low at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Danno wrote: »
    A polar low. Can deliver potent spells of heavy squally snow. Christmas Morning 2004 was one such event that some of the nippers might remember. ;)

Ah thank you, Squally it most certainly is already out here in the ocean, and the wind direction has changed from our prevailing/most common south west.. checked this as it is now blowing smoke back down the chimney which is very rare.. North West met.ie say.

Stove door closed and house cold!

Very heavy shower and sticking to the cars. Nice to see even if short lived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Gonzo wrote: »
    sadly nothing here in Meath, radar looks very empty over most of Leinster as well, particularly northern Leinster.

2 showers here this morning, both rain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Icy hail and sleet in south Sligo but cold out and there could be snow on the back of it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

2 showers here this morning, both rain

we had a few light rain showers last night but nothing since. Ground is trying to dry out but we need several days without any precipitation to dry out the driveway and footpaths for a start! This weekend is back to unsettled conditions for many of us, much more in the way of precipitation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

craicdood wrote: »
    Lads I've followed the weather pages on boards for about 5 years(a huge thanks to all who keep us all informed), finally I'm gonna jump in. In the recent snow events over the past weeks the snow line has never made it as far as Dublin and seems to dissipate just over the Dublin mountains. As the front is coming in from the west, do we need this event to ramp up in a big way in order for the showers to start hitting the band inside the M50? I know its early days but looking at the charts this just doesn't seem to have the consistency to make it close to the east coast over the mountains.

I've a pounding headache after reading this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Decent snowfall in Kildare earlier on gave a bit of a covering, Ballymore Eustace, bare in mind with a bit of elevation

2-C9-EBF8-E-FE4-F-442-B-84-F2-4-EDC6963-AC78.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭lcasey90

Nice big snow flakes falling in athlone nothing major with the volume though, good start for rest of the night

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

No sign of anything in my part of Dublin today (yet) with the exception of some spits of rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Gonzo wrote: »
    Ground is trying to dry out but we need several days without any precipitation to dry out the driveway and footpaths for a start!.

Absolutely, i can see fields below us has huge pond like floods in them, water is still running down some of the roads, the boyne up at the home place has nearly gone across the walkway, and the pond across the road from us has spread out into the field and is at road level

Decent looking shower over cavan at the moment, might have my name on it, if it doesnt fizzle out, will see what it brings, i expect rain

• Advertisement

DOCARCH wrote: »
    No sign of anything in my part of Dublin today (yet) with the exception of some spits of rain.

certain areas are doing really well while others are getting nothing. Most of Dublin, Meath and Louth doing very poor so far as the trains of showers are heading mostly south of Dublin or north of Drogheda.

There are some showers over the midlands right now, I think they'll end up going just south of Dublin. Prolonged showers over Mayo, Sligo and Leitrim look destined for the far north of Meath, Monaghan and maybe Louth. Showers will probably die out after dark across many eastern and some central areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Blue sky’s here East Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Blue skies and sunshine. Cold. Dublin 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

More squally pitter-pattering and wind shrieks.

OK; I am turning in soon with ear plugs to try to catch uo on some sleep

So here is my declaration and intent,

When I wake, I will look outside.. Only I will find it very hard to open the door as there will be snow packed against it! Several feet in fact.

Wellies on and axe in hand ( ready in the kitchen ;)) cape on and I hack my way out, breath steaming in the icy wind....

GLEE! Plodding through feet of snow! Ah bliss! Not done this for years! Breath steaming.. cats trying to follow and half sinking!

Out to the drive …. thick, glorious SNOW! Good dense snow! Snowman snow!

So there we are! Revelling in that special snow pure air, piling it up, packing it down, breath steaming in the chilly air!

A good tall one he is! Wide and sturdy! Best snowman I ever made, with a smiling mouth, a long nose and bright dark eyes....

I plod back into the house; bright woolly hat, carrot , coal eggs.. scarf....
    stones etc

And LO! A wondrous handsome one he is! Standing guard over the dwelling.... camera ready! Immortalised!

Well, dreams cost nothing! nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!, Hope this comes true for some!!

Back at some stage! Enjoy the snow..

• Registered Users Posts: 7 craicdood

sparrowcar wrote: »
    I've a pounding headache after reading this...

I was probably over doing it. 😅
    Simple version;
    Snow in Dublin later, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Each shower is getting closer and closer to snow in cork city. This one was snow for about 2 minutes but just about, still not sticking to cars but it’s gradually turning to snow so we might actually get some tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Heavy hail here in Newbridge now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Heavy Sleet - M50 near Citywest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Heavy Hail in Kildare now with snow mixed in. A grey covering

• Advertisement

Each shower is getting closer and closer to snow in cork city. This one was snow for about 2 minutes but just about, still not sticking to cars but it’s gradually turning to snow so we might actually get some tonight

Probably won’t be any showers then ! Usually what happens down here

Advertisement