Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feb 29th - Snowfall/Wintry Conditions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

torres9kop wrote: »
    Is it Billy Idol Hot in the city or something for Dublin? Showers just fizzling out

Ye are missing nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

While we all watch events tonight worth noting tonight's gfs and icon (18z) give a red warning type storm on Saturday!! Lots going on with somewhere likely to get a dump of snow also tomorrow.
    On rte's main weather tonight they kinda skipped over tomorrow night. I can see why because anything could happen...

Snow or wind for Saturday??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

While we all watch events tonight worth noting tonight's gfs and icon (18z) give a red warning type storm on Saturday!! Lots going on with somewhere likely to get a dump of snow also tomorrow.
    On rte's main weather tonight they kinda skipped over tomorrow night. I can see why because anything could happen...

YanSno mentioned Saturday potential earlier today.
    Here’s hoping!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Santy2015 wrote: »
    Snow or wind for Saturday??
    Wind but also hill snow in showers.
    Primary concern is wind and of course a very unsettled picture for places with flooding

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Why not the weekend I'm staying put & no travel. Why the weekend want to travel West. May keep appraised of forecasts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Kutebride wrote: »
    Why not the weekend I'm staying put & no travel. Why the weekend want to travel West. May keep appraised of forecasts.

I’m having what you’re drinking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Just had quite a heavy snow shower that left a dusting on the road

DP now dropped to -2 at Cork airport. Still showers coming through. Netweather radar shows showers turning fully pink as they cross into Cork. Its now or never!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Whiteout here in south Laois - driving snow on a stern west wind.

Snow failing better here in Cork south suburbs. Drier snow definitely but still wont stick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

DP now dropped to -2 at Cork airport. Still showers coming through. Netweather radar shows showers turning fully pink as they cross into Cork. Its now or never!

Staying as sleet in this blob sadly. Looks to be never

• Registered Users Posts: 23,867 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Danno wrote: »
    Whiteout here in south Laois - driving snow on a stern west wind.

Stop you're making me cry :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Snowing away here in meath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Close enough to that near Mountmellick. Cars, sheds, roofs covered etc. Grass too but not completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Needs wind to bring showers in this far inland. Needs wind to stop pushing the showers through so quickly that they stop just as accumulations commence. Can't win. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Kutebride

OH........Nada here?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

still nothing here in south Meath, the shadow goes on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭snowgal

Kutebride wrote: »
    OH........Nada here?

Or here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I'm here :D

Showers are mostly hugging the western counties of the country, we need a slightly more favorable wind direction to get them inland where snow is always more likely.

Perhaps later in the night. Agree with the poster on the shower trajectory. We need a nudge there because for Dublin the land track is too long.

I agree it's a little disappointing so far but that's how the cookie crumbles. Looks good for western counties though overall. I'm hoping we will sneak in some snow showers later in the night further east.

Cold night ahead regardless.
    The GFS 18z is showing widespread snow for Thursday morning, with fairly heavy snow in the east. Winds look just about offshore for us easterners so if all other factors are on the right side of marginal, the wind shouldn't screw us out like it usually does.

PS LP systems like Thursday's one are hard to nail from far out so it's probably going to be a nowcast. And realistically, it's probably going to be on the wrong side of marginal or else sloppy slush that won't stick (but I'll take that)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

your in a decent shower lane between Bundoran in Donegal and Drogheda/Julianstown.

Another big wedge of showers across the midlands, should make it to Naas area and then north Wicklow. Very similar shower lanes and shadows to earlier on today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Had a snow shower even here around 7
    Wouldn't see your hand in it,quite heavy in 60kmh gusts
    Nothing since
    2.1c here currently
    DP -1.4c
    Wet bulb 0.5c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭piplip87

Few attempts of showers here in Virginia. Nothing major the grass has a light dusting but that's it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,867 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Artane2002 wrote: »
    The GFS 18z is showing widespread snow for Thursday morning, with fairly heavy snow in the east. Winds look just about offshore for us easterners so if all other factors are on the right side of marginal, the wind shouldn't screw us out like it usually does.

PS LP systems like Thursday's one are hard to nail from far out so it's probably going to be a nowcast. And realistically, it's probably going to be on the wrong side of marginal or else sloppy slush that won't stick (but I'll take that)

I'm not convinced on tomorrow night right now, there is some sharp divergence in the models on that.

Going to be the morning before there is more clarity hopefully. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Heavy snow here in Drogheda.. for the first time in ages cocaine is not the only white stuff out town is covered in 🀣
    Was gonna go to bed but I'm gonna window watch instead.. let's hope it survives the night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Please let there be snow (more) in Inishowen tonight. Plenty if possible. Cold at moment 2°C

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭King of Spades

Snow shower just left a dusting in Tara, Meath. Wind has got gusty too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,151 ✭✭✭pauldry

Coldest Dew Points in Southwest

Why is this?

Too warm here. Though may get some graupel later to make paths white.

Anti Climate was deliberate so was February 29th

This weekend looks very bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭bassy

sleety snow here in north kilkenny,not heavey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I'm not convinced on tomorrow night right now, there is some sharp divergence in the models on that.

Going to be the morning before there is more clarity hopefully. :)

Neither am I, I'm not expecting snow for anyone from that system to be honest. It will probably go down to the wire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

As good as it gets here in South tipp

Advertisement