Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feb 29th - Snowfall/Wintry Conditions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Heavy snow here in Drogheda.. for the first time in ages cocaine is not the only white stuff out town is covered in 🀣
    Was gonna go to bed but I'm gonna window watch instead.. let's hope it survives the night

Have to say it's a marvelous sight. I stopped at the sliding door in awe, watching the wind-driven snow. I looked down and the 2 big kittens from next door (who prefer my chairs) were sitting at my feet, heads darting like crazy watching big snowflakes 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Gonzo wrote: »
    your in a decent shower lane between Bundoran in Donegal and Drogheda/Julianstown.

Yeah looks like theres a few showers heading this way, interesting to see if they amount to much, last couple have left a dusting, nothing to get excited about though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Frost on car here in east Meath, just had light snow shower, but it's melting! Temps must have risen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Wet bulb -0.2 at Cork airport. Why no sticking snow? Ahhh!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,755 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

A dusting on the way for parts of Dublin in the next 45 minutes it looks like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

A dusting on the way for parts of Dublin in the next 45 minutes it looks like

We'll watch it die as it approaches. A few flakes maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Spitting sleet here in D14

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Spitting sleet here in D14

Yeah temps are a bit up from earlier. Even if we manage to get some precip it will be disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭King of Spades

Heavy snow shower in Meath now. Everything gone white again after the earlier dusting had thawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Finally a bit of life in the showers here, after nothing but drizzle and sleet all evening we've had a couple of big hail downpours followed by some heavy snow that's turned everything white again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Only sleet so far in Dublin 15 from the lump travelling SE over Meath, we'll see what happens when it pulls the temps down a bit, windchill is significant out of doors.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

that shower is over me now, it's very sleety snow, can hear it fall. a few flakes are stuck on the bin lid but it's melting into the ground on impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭King of Spades

Gonzo wrote: »
    that shower is over me now, it's very sleety snow, can hear it fall. a few flakes are stuck on the bin lid but it's melting into the ground on impact.

Proper snow out here in Tara and accumulating well. Only a couple of hundred feet higher but it obviously makes a big difference.

Moderate sleet here in D14

More snow now !

Snow here

• Registered Users Posts: 14,511 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

This weekend situation looks promising at least for some parts of west and north, details keep changing as we get closer so will be awaiting 00z updates with interest.

At the moment Wed night into Thursday morning looks like another marginal setup in general with some isolated snow potential. Perhaps better than that for north, that's more in reference to south coast skimmer -- problem there is always, the closer it gets, to give precip, the more mild air is likely to creep in with that. Would have to go back a long way to find a good south coast skimmer snowfall.

This setup for the weekend doesn't remind me of much at all, very cold for a maritime flow, and on some models very strong winds associated too. Would be a massive lake effect snow setup if the same thing happened over Great Lakes but they are smaller and less able to modify flows, still in early winter the Great Lakes can modify arctic air to the point where lake effect is greatly reduced.

What's needed is a smaller Atlantic and a closer Greenland. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Nice snow showers yesterday by Cork Airport, dry and fluffy, near blizzard like in the wind, although none accumulated.

More sleet like in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Kutebride wrote: »
    Why not the weekend I'm staying put & no travel. Why the weekend want to travel West. May keep appraised of forecasts.

You OK? :eek::cool:

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Have to say it's a marvelous sight. I stopped at the sliding door in awe, watching the wind-driven snow. I looked down and the 2 big kittens from next door (who prefer my chairs) were sitting at my feet, heads darting like crazy watching big snowflakes ��

Gold medal for best post of the thread! Thank you!

• Advertisement

IT IS SO COLD!

Well, the path outside the door is still black so no snow here. The door is on the dog lead as the gale is raging and would tear it out of my hand.

Which says all! Another loud night with ?hail?wind driven rain? And bitter cold,

One of my weather forecasters is the latest stray cat who hates gales and vanishes, Not seen him for 36 hours.

Folk here were grousing a while back about "no proper winter". Ah well; be careful what you wish for

But glad so many got good snow.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Graces7 wrote: »
    IT IS SO COLD!

Well, the path outside the door is still black so no snow here. The door is on the dog lead as the gale is raging and would tear it out of my hand.

Which says all! Another loud night with ?hail?wind driven rain? And bitter cold,

One of my weather forecasters is the latest stray cat who hates gales and vanishes, Not seen him for 36 hours.

Folk here were grousing a while back about "no proper winter". Ah well; be careful what you wish for

But glad so many got good snow.

The animals are the best forecasters.

Nice to seeing you do well Grace, you make my morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    The animals are the best forecasters.

Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,511 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

For the Saturday potential, seems that a split has developed with European models not as intense for wind speeds as two main N American models which continue to hint at severe gust potential. How that interacts with snow potential is not a straightforward proposition. Would say that very strong winds might be more prone to send in milder (slightly) surface air than moderate winds, however, the moderate winds are due to a more northerly track of the associated low. Looking at most thickness or upper temp guidance, it all looks rather marginal for widespread accumulating snow showers but there would probably be some as there were in a few places on Tuesday.

Tonight's potential looks pretty much confined to higher slopes on trailing edge of the low and some parts of Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭March11

Snow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

Typical. It didn't snow much here last night but big fluffy flakes falling now and it's sticking. Not expecting much at all

good morning

Feral cat has emerged so the bad weather is easing.

Windchill penetrates three layers of clothing, but not strong wind.

A little more snow atop the far mountains..but none of what fell last night stuck

Magnificent clouds...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Dusting near Roundwood. The village just below the snow line - out the road with a slight increase in elevation there was more, including the road (notwithstanding two different gritter routes - the Roundwood depot more on top of things than the ones that do the commons and Calary. Basically, par for the course for westerly based.

Looking better for some snow tonight in the south/southeast anywhere from Cork all the way to Louth and across to Mayo/Galway. How heavy it is is up for grabs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Looking better for some snow tonight in the south/southeast anywhere from Cork all the way to Louth and across to Mayo/Galway. How heavy it is is up for grabs.

Don’t do this to us Kermit. It usually ends in tears.

Advertisement