Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feb 29th - Snowfall/Wintry Conditions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

pad199207 wrote: »
    Storm this weekend has been named Storm Jorge by the Spanish Met, I presume this will be the name so that we stick with too?

It’s hardly going to be given two names.

You never know; this has happened before and surely we are due Ellen? Ah well a rose aka storm by any other name!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

Storm this weekend has been named Storm Jorge by the Spanish Met, I presume this will be the name so that we stick with too?

Oh yes it is going to have a different name if it will be a named storm, which according to the latest models and charts appears most likely. The name will be 'Ellen' (or storm 'E'). The names are selected before the storm season, and you could have suggested names to Met Eireann then. Ireland , the UK, and the Netherlands share the same names for storms. Basically the names follow the alphabet. Before names were given, they were just called storm A, B, C, ...
    In Spain, they had more named storms this winter and are already at 'J', Jorge (which is George in English). They share names with Portugal and the Canary Islands.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭JP85

Currently sitting in Heathrow heading back to Dublin watching the snow come down, great to get a bit of a fix but thankfully not sticking so flight is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Storm this weekend has been named Storm Jorge by the Spanish Met

Should that not be the H storm name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Dickerty wrote: »
    Should that not be the H storm name?

By convention if named already by the Spanish or Portuguese, No
    That's how beast from the east storm Emma got her name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Mortelaro wrote: »
    By convention if named already by the Spanish or Portuguese, No
    That's how beast from the east storm Emma got her name

(I meant because of how they pronounce Jorge!) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

The Met Office in Spain has a Orange warning in place for the northwest of the country for winds gusting as high as 100km/hr.

It is likely that the name Ellen will not be giving to the storm now.

In my view the name storm Ellen should of been the name given as Ireland looks to be the worst effected by the system.

Surely the meteorological agents should have a discussion before putting names on storms.

I'd also expect Met Eireann to issue a weather advisory after lunch today followed by warnings on Friday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭John mac

here is the list

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Status Orange - Wind warning for Galway, Mayo, Clare and Kerry

Some severe winds expected during Saturday associated with Storm Jorge (Hor-hay). Southwest quickly veering west and later northwest will reach mean speeds of 65 to 80km/h with gusts of 110 to 130km/h, possibly higher in very exposed areas with an elevated risk of coastal flooding.

Valid: 06:00 Saturday 29/02/2020 to 03:00 Sunday 01/03/2020

Issued: 11:00 Thursday 27/02/2020

Wind warning for Donegal, Leitrim and Sligo
    Status Orange - Wind warning for Donegal, Leitrim and Sligo

Some severe winds expected during Saturday associated with Storm Jorge (Hor-hay).

Southwest quickly veering west and later northwest will reach mean speeds of 65 to 80km/h with gusts of 110 to 130km/h, possibly higher in very exposed areas with an elevated risk of coastal flooding.

Valid: 12:00 Saturday 29/02/2020 to 03:00 Sunday 01/03/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

EC ensemble mean (of all 50 runs) maximum wind gust forecast for Sat 3pm

l6OMHDa.png

I hope this next system brings us some much needed rain, as we haven't seen a drop here in over 18 hours.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Status Orange - Wind warning for Galway, Mayo, Clare and Kerry

Some severe winds expected during Saturday associated with Storm Jorge (Hor-hay). Southwest quickly veering west and later northwest will reach mean speeds of 65 to 80km/h with gusts of 110 to 130km/h, possibly higher in very exposed areas with an elevated risk of coastal flooding.

Valid: 06:00 Saturday 29/02/2020 to 03:00 Sunday 01/03/2020

Wind warning for Donegal, Leitrim and Sligo
    Status Orange - Wind warning for Donegal, Leitrim and Sligo

Some severe winds expected during Saturday associated with Storm Jorge (Hor-hay).

Southwest quickly veering west and later northwest will reach mean speeds of 65 to 80km/h with gusts of 110 to 130km/h, possibly higher in very exposed areas with an elevated risk of coastal flooding.

Valid: 12:00 Saturday 29/02/2020 to 03:00 Sunday 01/03/2020

Where are they getting their pronunciation from? Nothing like the correct pronuciation (Khorkhay)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Where are they getting their pronunciation from? Nothing like the correct pronuciation (Khorkhay)

The English language pronunciation is 'horhay' and the Spanish language pronunciation is 'khorkhay'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Why does the English pronunciation of a Spanish name take precedence over the actual Spanish one?

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Why does the English pronunciation of a Spanish name take precedence over the actual Spanish one?

Perhaps because it's an English speaking country, and the average Joe from Ireland would struggle with the Spanish pronunciation?

Not that I'm condoning it, I'd prefer to see the Spanish language pronunciation used.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Perhaps because it's an English speaking country, and the average Joe from Ireland would struggle with the Spanish pronunciation?

Not that I'm condoning it, I'd prefer to see the Spanish language pronunciation used.

Could be worse, imagine it was named by the Welsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

JCX BXC wrote: »
    The English language pronunciation is 'horhay' and the Spanish language pronunciation is 'khorkhay'.
    Oneiric 3 wrote: »

Exactly. It's just ignorance. There is no "English" pronunciation of a Spanish name. If a Spanish person pronounced Ciara as "Theeara" we'd be calling him Manuel from Barthelona.

It's like José Mourininho being called "Hos-ey" when in fact he's Portuguese, so it's "Zhoz-eh". Likewise, Jorge in Portuguese is "Zhorzh".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,511 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Could be worse, imagine it was named by the Welsh.

Lou Ellen?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Myfanwy or Heulfryn :)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

watlantic wrote: »
    Oh yes it is going to have a different name if it will be a named storm, which according to the latest models and charts appears most likely. The name will be 'Ellen' (or storm 'E'). The names are selected before the storm season, and you could have suggested names to Met Eireann then. Ireland , the UK, and the Netherlands share the same names for storms. Basically the names follow the alphabet. Before names were given, they were just called storm A, B, C, ...
    In Spain, they had more named storms this winter and are already at 'J', Jorge (which is George in English). They share names with Portugal and the Canary Islands.
    Apologies:o. :o
    So the Spanish got in there first naming it Jorge and claiming it, like they claim the Canary Islands and our fish in our waters. Storm Jorge is a lot closer to Ireland and Ellen should have been used, in my opinion. It is after all the FIFTH named storm here and thus storm E for us. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Dickerty wrote: »
    (I meant because of how they pronounce Jorge!) :D

Oh you mean Whore gay

Shur that's W :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,753 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Where is the snow going to fall on Saturday?

That's the question...could be fairly disruptive where it happens combined with the wind as well.

hirlamuk-1-48-0.png?27-17

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

The snow will fall in the Midlands

Actually I'd pronounce storm Hor K. .
    What's with the complicated way?

Widespread snow probably at night Saturday and Sunday like Donegal and some places saw this week Kermit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Tuesday 25th

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The Irish sea will be curtains for snow across Dublin, Meath, Louth and much of Kildare. North midlands and some western areas as well as NI may get some snow from this.

54-574UK.GIF?27-12

Arpege has this as all rain.

Icon has it mainly for NI and Donegal.
    iconeu_uk1-1-49-0.png?27-16

Hirlam looks the most interesting, but they were completely wrong about the build up to Sunday nights event.

hirlamuk-1-48-0.png?27-17

No doubt this will change alot between now and Saturday morning and the majority of us will end up with rain.

Gonzo wrote: »
    The Irish sea will be curtains for snow across Dublin, Meath, Louth and much of Kildare.

Nope, wind is off shore there in the wrap around :cool: Atlantic coasts yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Nope, wind is off shore there in the wrap around :cool: Atlantic coasts yeah

There will be plenty of mixing going on

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

One thing is for sure ..... I am not getting my hopes up this time lol

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Looks a lot like the ECM for Saturday. Note that is cumulative snowfall not actual amounts expected to be lying which would be less.

anim_axy0.gif

anim_ppy6.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looks like it may turn back to rain on it's back edge. Lying snow may still be restricted to high ground above 250 meters. I'm being very cautious with this one. I think the best thing to do with a westerly is prepare for disappointment and the rare time you get more than you bargained for, is a time for brief celebration!.

• Advertisement

ICON this evening up upgrade on previous for us in the east

Advertisement