Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feb 29th - Snowfall/Wintry Conditions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Gonzo wrote: »
    looks like it may turn back to rain on it's back edge. Lying snow may still be restricted to high ground above 250 meters. I'm being very cautious with this one. I think the best thing to do with a westerly is prepare for disappointment and the rare time you get more than you bargained for, is a time for brief celebration!.

Yep. You just can’t trust Atlantic sourced cold for producing snow. Midlands and north id imagine would be the best spots for snow to low levels. Saturday night/Sunday morning probably the best time for low level snow in places

• Registered Users Posts: 23,753 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Risk of snow during Saturday getting notably higher with each run. Hope it continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 BlueSkyDay

Where is the snow going to fall on Saturday?

That's the question...could be fairly disruptive where it happens combined with the wind as well.

hirlamuk-1-48-0.png?27-17

All blown to the south east hopfully

• Registered Users Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I will be in Meath this weekend, so if there is snow on Saturday, it better snow there this weekend! I will be pissed if it turns out a lot of snow falls at home and I miss out on it!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I will be in Meath this weekend, so if there is snow on Saturday, it better snow there this weekend! I will be pissed if it turns out a lot of snow falls at home and I miss out on it!

Meath is up there with Dublin and Waterford for having barely any snow since March 2018, i'd be amazed if we get anything that sticks on Saturday. We've had enough for a few fast melting slush balls but that'ts about it. Hopefully we get a bit of luck on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

1z38vyY.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

:D
    39-780UK_ejt4.GIF

Snow accumulation charts don't show anything of note really, a brief 1-2cm that quickly melts. Have to say I've had my fill of snow for this winter now anyway so would gladly do without another slushy dusting, you're welcome to keep it further south!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Kutebride

...and I'm leaving Meath for the weekend, bound for the West .....well I hope I am

Looks like we are in there for snow on Saturday on the GFS anyway. :) Except the far south

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Looks like we are in there for snow on Saturday on the GFS anyway. :) Except the far south

Key part highlighted...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Just my opinion but this thread is 56 pages long, I would prefer a new thread instead of old one's being renamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Why post about Saturdays snow in this thread at all if it's connected to the Storm

ZX7R wrote: »
    Why post about Saturdays snow in this thread at all if it's connected to the Storm

You'd want to stay away from those wind fanatic types :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

You'd want to stay away from those wind fanatic types :cool:

Ha
    Sure it might blow the virus away

ICON probably the most favored for Dubs this evening. Here is HIRLAM model.

Marginal. Probably snow early afternoon anyway for many but might turn back to rain later in the afternoon. Remains to be seen.

hirlamuk-1-23-0.png?28-16

iconeu_uk1-42-26-0.png?28-15

iconeu_uk1-18-25-0.png?28-15

iconeu_uk1-41-26-0.png?28-15

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: I have edited/simplified the thread title.

Happy to keep this thread going, separate to the wind thread, for snow (risk) tomorrow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

overall the snow risk is downgraded since yesterday evenings runs, it will be a sloppy mixture at best for most of us with very few of us seeing any sort of lying snow. Far too much rain around and milder sectors before and after the snow if it does fall.

I'd be happy to wipe the winter slate clean and start again fresh mid November! I think most of us just want a pattern change more than anything, some dryer conditions and a feeling of Spring. Winter is basically over now and this is yet another winter I will not miss in the slightest!

ok grumpy :pac:

MRGRUMPYPRINT_59883df8-2737-45a5-911d-c479c68079cd_grande.jpg?v=1555611992

the lying snow is an upgrade tho but looks to be 1 to 3 hours at most with much of it melted by tomorrow evening away from high ground.

27-780UK.GIF?28-12

33-780UK.GIF?28-12

as for the snowfall itself looks about 90 minutes to 2 hours before it reverts back to rain.

hirlamuk-1-23-0.png?28-16

hirlamuk-1-25-0.png?28-16

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Thinking the ECM showing moderate to heavy frontal snow ( probably quite wet heavy type ) tomorrow, would think could even be blizzard like for a time and treacherous driving conditions from East Connacht to the Midlands, may even reach close enough to the East. Probably start as rain to sleet to snow, possibly heavy for a time and back to sleet and rain. Might be a slushy mess very quickly or might settle on higher ground for a time.

Time frame crossing the country around 10.00 to 15.00 or so.

Temperatures will drop very low during the frontal passage, probably be seeing temporary readings of 1 to 2C and rising 4 to 6 C soon after.

Very cold air mass spreading over Ireland tonight. Low Pressure aiding snowfall to reach the ground even in not so ideal temperatures. Wet bulb initially good. Freezing level good initially.

kQCTjbp.png

myqQNjN.png

4jV0EHr.png

WyU52rI.png

MA6uuI0.png

FKly7BD.png

nLYLvqD.png

• Advertisement

anim_oeg6.gif

anim_xkk5.gif

anim_rpv3.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Knock airport TAF ties in with above, forecasting Snow between 9am-11am

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭hawkwing

I don't think Gerry even mentioned possible sleet for the mountains once,nothing but rain.One time 5-6 yrs ago there was an obvious real borderline snow event and high ground in Wicklow etc got plastered and Gerry was the same.Time will tell :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Knock airport TAF ties in with above, forecasting Snow between 9am-11am

The TAF's are certainly interesting,

Knock has, as well as what you mentioned, temporary snow showers between 3am and 9am.

Shannon and Cork's forecast includes a PROB30 of temporary light snow showers between 4am and 6am

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Colder air following on behind the front . Newport down to 6 degrees @ 10pm. It was 9 degrees at 8pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Windsat-measured winds at 18:28 this evening, showing the centre at 53N 20W, a fraction further east than the centre analysed by the UKMO 30 minutes earlier. These winds tend to be underestimated at high speeds, so in reality add a few knots to the vectors shown.

504150.png

ukmo_nat_fax_2020022818_000.png

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 24,182 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

What?

Showers in to the west turning wintry soon. Falls of snow to lower levels later in the night.

I'm hitting the leaba so leaving the radar image there which will update every 15 minutes if anyone wants a gander.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,182 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Showers in to the west turning wintry soon. Falls of snow to lower levels later in the night.

Nothing in the temperature profile suggests low level snow really anywhere.

Advertisement