Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feb 29th - Snowfall/Wintry Conditions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭davemc6832

Snow in Letterkenny. Couple of inches.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,753 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Happy for those who saw snow last night.

Milder air back over the country now but not gonna last.

Cold air back in tonight and showers turning ever more wintry through the night from the west with widespread snow showers tomorrow.

Thanks for the pics btw! More to come :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Still 14 cm at Lough Fea at 7 am. WBT now creeping above zero to +0.2 °C, with sleet now falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We had a covering of snow here in east cavan about 2:30, by 4am it was gone and heavy rain replaced it.

Still raining away.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Snow angel

Woke at 2am in West sligo to see beautiful white covering about 3-4cm. I was impressed as I’m by the sea and it usually is rain here before transitioning to snow. 3am heavy rain came and took away all my snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Happy for those who saw snow last night.

Milder air back over the country now but not gonna last.

Cold air back in tonight and showers turning ever more wintry through the night from the west with widespread snow showers tomorrow.

Thanks for the pics btw! More to come :)

You think the East Coast might get hit? Hopefully we get lucky and it misses us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

23.4mm of rain overnight, and 0 cm's of snow, meath

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Some bad floods around Galway this morning, I know it sounds repetitive, floods in places I have never seen floods before.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Sligo Town.

7.30am. Gardens and car windscreens mostly white. Pavements and roads in my estate clear.

8.00am. Already good thaw in gardens, and remaining snow on windscreens cleared easy enough with a light brush.

Won't be building any snowmen today.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,273 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Some bad floods around Galway this morning, I know it sounds repetitive, floods in places I have never seen floods before.
    Almost 44mm fell in the past 24h in town, has to go somewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Snow has already melted quite a bit compared to when I looked out at 6am but still about 4-5cm on the ground. Best snowfall I've seen since March 2018 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

pauldry wrote: »
    Snowed in Sligo Town last night but melted again all while I was asleep. Just lumps of sneachta on cars now and on borders of paths and the like.

Sometimes I'm just wrong
    Forgot about where the southeasterly was travelling over
    I blame the other forum I've been posting in, the past week for distracting me,I'll have to stay away from there,its rubbish compared to here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A mere smear atop the far mountains here..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Super photo on Metalert Ireland of a young boy with his brilliant snowman in Derry this morning.

Overcast and breezy. Dublin 2. 9°

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

sadly this didn't work out for most of us but nice to see a few snow pics from places lucky enough to see snow.

There will be more situations like this over the coming week, were the positioning of the lows and mild sectors will be crucial to where see's snow and where doesn't. Fingers crossed we all see a bit of snow over the coming week!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Tomorrow needs it's own thread, anyone?
    Heavy snow showers right across the country Tuesday afternoon though whether it sticks is another thing....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Heavy snow showers right across the country Tuesday afternoon though whether it sticks is another thing....

this will do , title can be edited

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

tomorrow looks like we could have wintry showers across the country tomorrow falling as rain, sleet and snow.

Arpege with a scattering of showers tomorrow:

hirlamuk-1-32-0.png?24-10

Could be something heavier and more prolonged in the south-west tomorrow evening but it may be rain in some low lying areas.

hirlamuk-1-38-0.png?24-11

wintry showers still going tomorrow night.
    hirlamuk-1-47-0.png?24-11

Icon shows wintry potential tomorrow as well.
    iconeu_uk1-1-28-0.png?24-12

GFS has plenty of wintry precipitation for tomorrow:
    33-574UK.GIF?24-6

• Registered Users Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

We only got a brief dusting last night before the snow quickly turned back to rain Hopefully we'll do a bit better tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Snow/Ice warning for Ireland

Wintry showers, mainly of hail and sleet, will become increasingly widespread during Tuesday leading to icy patches. Some snow accumulations will also occur.

Valid: 06:00 Tuesday 25/02/2020 to 09:00 Wednesday 26/02/2020

Issued: 14:00 Monday 24/02/2020

• Advertisement

the next few days, while there will be showers in places, it will be dryer than it has been recently. From Friday onwards we are back to much more unsettled conditions with rain and sleet becoming more of an issue again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,753 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I think you lost an 'm' in your username?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

So more sporadic sleety sneachta hail and rain for tomorrow.
    Watching the lampposts tonight I suppose, fire on inside and the flakes swirling around like ghosts in the light... Sparks rising and pure delight...

The wolfhound lying asleep, and the cats still a creep

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

nthclare wrote: »
    So more sporadic sleety sneachta hail and rain for tomorrow.
    Watching the lampposts tonight I suppose, fire on inside and the flakes swirling around like ghosts in the light... Sparks rising and pure delight...

Grace has her work cut out for her with you

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

nthclare wrote: »

Ah yes, the lamppost watchers...
    from just a couple of weeks ago here, cat tripped my camera.:)

https://youtu.be/NC2fdeTNQo4

Thankyou for the smiles; much needed...

No lampposts out here except at the pier. And all the buoy lights and lighthouse lights . But at the house? Pitchy black so just when I open the door to check and the flakes or drops hit me as I fight to stop the gale taking the door off...

Such a wind; small wonder the snow does not stick. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Trying its best to snow in Letterkenny again but just amounting to horrible wet sleety stuff.

Sun and showers have made short work of last night's snow, still about 3cm in the garden but only a patchy covering on concrete, roofs etc now

Trying its best to snow in Letterkenny again but just amounting to horrible wet sleety stuff.

Sun and showers have made short work of last night's snow, still about 3cm in the garden but only a patchy covering on concrete, roofs etc now

this is the general nature of cold zonal, snow can settle at night if it's cold enough but during the day the snow will always melt as daytime temperatures in cold zonal even at the best of times usually hover a few degrees above freezing, add the sun to this and how late it is in the winter, it's never going to stick around for long.

We need a proper easterly with sub zero temperatures by day and night for snow to stick and stay throughout the day. Even with a direct hit easterly thawing becomes a problem in March. A daytime temperature of 1C in March with some sunny spells is enough to bring along a constant dripping sound outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I have given up on seeing snow settle during the day for a while now, but hopefully there will be a decent night time covering at some stage this week. Tuesday night could be the best opportunity for that.

• Advertisement

Just seen met.ie// maybe a chance for a snowman ?

Advertisement