Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masterchef UK 2020

Options
  • 22-02-2020 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 29,371 ✭✭✭✭

New series starting on BBC 1 next Monday at 9pm. :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,371 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Nobody else watching this?

They're all absolutely barking!!

And very sweaty :( which is seriously off putting. But at least the two worst offenders, Teddy and Pete, are gone.

Nobody can say it wasn't an interesting week!

Wonder will ther next lot be a bit more conventional?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Not on tonight for some reason. 2 episodes on Thursday though!

There's football on tonight and tomorrow. Two episodes on Friday I think.

Awww jeepers, more scallops/ black pudding/ pea puree :rolleyes:

There should be bonus points for anyone who doesn't use that in their menu!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Is it just me that's getting tired of this now - and Im a huge MC fan! Watching it last night and I really wasn't paying it much attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Am a few episodes behind but a couple of observations:

1. The critics in general aren't very likable but Grace Dent surely is more so than the others. There is just something inherently unlikable about her especially the way she holds her hand up the whole time as if she was some aristocrat back in the 1600s.

2. Really high standard in the 3rd round of heats. Disappointed that Amy is gone, good cook but also easy on the eye! Also think his name was Sandeep was robbed also - the lady who cooked the deep fried tofu, while impressive also, shouldn't really have gotten through as everyone hated it and it was the main componant of her dish - other than that she just cooked chips, curry, peas and tarter sauce.

Anyhow rant over!:)

I'm getting kinda fond of Grace Dent despite myself! In a "so bad she's good" kind of way.

But mother of God, what is it with scallops and duck this series? Anyone who cooks anything else at all, no matter how unsuccessfully, gets brownie points from me!

And also, what's with serving up half a duck breast all the time???

Gosh, this series really doesn't seem to have caught the imagination of boards posters anyway!

Have to say I'm enjoying it.

Tonight they had canapes..... a few took liberties with my idea of canapes (something bitesized that you can pick up with one hand) - serving (no doubt lovely) food in mini-bowls with cutlery - wtf are you meant to do with your glass of vino?? :confused: Think they should have been penalised for that!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I don't think something in a bowl, that needs two hands to eat, counts as a canape- especially the big salmon bowls. They were huge!

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

Sorry to see Christian and Natasha go. They seemed genuinely talented.

• Advertisement

twill wrote: »
    Sorry to see Christian and Natasha go. They seemed genuinely talented.

Agreed. Thought Christian would go the distance.

Also sorry to see that Charlotte went, I thought she was great.

I just love Beverley, she's so laid back she's horizontal!

The Ibiza loving pilates interior designer drives me NUTS!

I just loved the round with Tom Kitchin, his food looks fabulous, and he's just so positive always.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

I think it's class how these amateurs improve so much throughout the competition. I've been watching since probably 2014 I'd say and I haven't noticed it, but I wonder for those who have been watching for years and years, is the standard that these guys come in at now in the first round already way higher than back then? Like the early rounds now being equivalent to semi final stage of the early series?

I really can't stand these forrin episodes - it's all so staged and false.

Interesting learning about other cuisines, but my God it's all so hookey :(

Jesus, that dessert looked rank!

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    I think it's class how these amateurs improve so much throughout the competition. I've been watching since probably 2014 I'd say and I haven't noticed it, but I wonder for those who have been watching for years and years, is the standard that these guys come in at now in the first round already way higher than back then? Like the early rounds now being equivalent to semi final stage of the early series?

I think one of this year's judges (former contestant) said something along those lines, actually. The standard seems to have got noticeably higher in the Professionals series too.

The preview for the final seemed to indicate that Thomas slipped up a bit - wonder if that was exaggerated or if we could see a surprise winner. Thomas is so good he'd have to be a front runner, though.

Looking forward to tomorrow's final, now!

Really enjoyed tonight's episode- strange desserts, but not too strange.

If somebody served me that rose, though, I'd probably have bitten it's head off, thinking that the whole thing was edible! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭sporina

we have been recording it but messed up last nights - episode 23 - anyone know anywer on line I can catch up? can't watch bbc player

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭patmac

Between Tom and Sandy, reckon David is very lucky to be there. Love the show but hate Gregg Wallace the annoying cockney twat.

Don't think Sandy will win, can't decide which way it will go.

Thought Thomas's food might have been judged not to be refined enough, but he deserved it overall.

Catching up now.....

What's struck me, and not for the first time, is the shocking level of waste involved in these shows :(

They all look like they're cooking for a family of six, if not more, instead of one plate to serve two pickers!

• Advertisement

I loved the "plainness" of Thomas's food. It was nearly like bringing it back to basics.

That's food I'd travel to taste. Scampi, beef cheek/mash, and custard tart. Yum.

David's fancy pasta starter with flowers and oil..... probably lovely, but too fussy for my liking (and far too oily!) Same with Sandy, it felt like she was just trying a bit too hard (that might be unfair, as she was a bit out there right from the very start).

Thomas just cooked food that I'd love to try - hopefully this is the start of a trend back from pushing the boundaries to breaking point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭sporina

I wanted Sandy to win - but I would not begrudge Thomas..

Q - with the virus and all I have only been half watching it..

But there was a show where one of the guest judges/chefs said that the two course she had had, wer the best she had ever tasted (in some situation or other - sorry for being so vague) - but anyone rem who cooked the dishes she was talking about? Twas in one of the heats I think..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Catching up now.....

What's struck me, and not for the first time, is the shocking level of waste involved in these shows :(

They all look like they're cooking for a family of six, if not more, instead of one plate to serve two pickers!

I'm certain I've read before that the leftovers basically feed the crew. Though I'm sure there's some waste, I doubt the 7/8s of Thomas's pie he didn't serve went in the bin!

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    I'm certain I've read before that the leftovers basically feed the crew. Though I'm sure there's some waste, I doubt the 7/8s of Thomas's pie he didn't serve went in the bin!

Yeah, I thought the same about the pie! But then I saw Sandy stirring a big pudding bowl of nut mixture, from which she dusted a handful onto her dessert plate. And how much lamb did David cook, for the two or three artistic slices he served? And the giant family sized pan of sprouts and bacon? (Yeah, I suppose crew hoovering isn't beyond imagining)

It's been a recurring irritant for me over many series, though.... I just abhor waste!

Yeah, the crew eat loads of the food. I'd say they have a great time.
    I doubt there's much waste- at least once they get to the stage where everyone can cook well!

Advertisement