Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Friends Reunion [HBO Max]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Then when Joey had his spin-off show he got much more intelligent again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

JackTC wrote: »
    Joey trying to learn French is a particular dark point. Then there's the not sharing food or not letting Emma have his toy Hugsy (or even him having a toy for that matter)

They really destroyed his character. Peak Joey was when he dated that actress from the play (Dina Meyer) or when he started on Days of our lives.

The milk thing (while funny to my 16 year old self when first watching) was ridiculous. Also the approval letter he wrote for Monica and Chandler, and signing off baby kangaroo Tribbiani. They really made him into a simpleton and it ruined a fantastic character. They basically turned him into Fr Dougal. I notice these discrepancies more as an adult watching reruns. When I was younger I just enjoyed the immature comedy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

JackTC wrote: »
    Joey trying to learn French is a particular dark point. Then there's the not sharing food or not letting Emma have his toy Hugsy (or even him having a toy for that matter)

They really destroyed his character. Peak Joey was when he dated that actress from the play (Dina Meyer) or when he started on Days of our lives.

Not sure I agree.

I think the period you say was peak Joey was a bit early in the seasons which weren't that strong.

I think there were moments where it was overdone but I think it kinda went downhill when Charlie entered.

Phoebe is just annoying. She's just purposely dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Was so hyped for this as a massive fan of the show, but after hearing James Corden is involved has brought that hype down to one of huge disappointment. The arrogant prick spoils everything he's in. On reflection it was pretty obvious he would find a way to be involved someway.

As for Matthew Perry - I think he may be heavily medicated with anti-depressants or whatever.

Glad to see old characters like Janice, Richard, and Jack are involved at least. Adam Goldberg (Eddie) would have been brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭shadyslimshady

The milk thing (while funny to my 16 year old self when first watching) was ridiculous. Also the approval letter he wrote for Monica and Chandler, and signing off baby kangaroo Tribbiani. They really made him into a simpleton and it ruined a fantastic character. They basically turned him into Fr Dougal. I notice these discrepancies more as an adult watching reruns. When I was younger I just enjoyed the immature comedy

I thought the milk thing was funny but yea the rest of the stuff was brutal.

They just had no storyline for him. Him acting with the hernia or when he needed to Pee was terrible as well.

I thought the milk thing was funny but yea the rest of the stuff was brutal.

They just had no storyline for him. Him acting with the hernia or when he needed to Pee was terrible as well.

I thought those episodes were hilarious!

Heyyyy Timmy....I have a surpriiise for youuu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sky won the bidding war for it.

It will air on Sky One on May 28th at 8:00pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,312 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Don't think I saw anything about a runtime yet. Seems like between a 60 and 90 minute thing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Lisa Kudrow has aged really well. No plastic surgery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Don't think I saw anything about a runtime yet. Seems like between a 60 and 90 minute thing

I've read its 60 minutes long, which seems very short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Was so hyped for this as a massive fan of the show, but after hearing James Corden is involved has brought that hype down to one of huge disappointment. The arrogant prick spoils everything he's in. On reflection it was pretty obvious he would find a way to be involved someway.

As for Matthew Perry - I think he may be heavily medicated with anti-depressants or whatever.

Glad to see old characters like Janice, Richard, and Jack are involved at least. Adam Goldberg (Eddie) would have been brilliant.

My favourite Friends guest star - bar none! Such a shame he only had the two episodes. His character was absolutely hilarious :D

I will watch this because I loved the show so much, but bloody hell, James Corden?? Yuck. Like someone said earlier, Paul Rudd would have been a great choice as host I think, or at least someone with some connection to the show.

Will be a nice taster for August, when me and my daughter have tickets to go to Friendsfest in Manchester. That's how sad I am...I just never get tired of this show. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

My favourite Friends guest star - bar none! Such a shame he only had the two episodes. His character was absolutely hilarious :D

I will watch this because I loved the show so much, but bloody hell, James Corden?? Yuck. Like someone said earlier, Paul Rudd would have been a great choice as host I think, or at least someone with some connection to the show.

Will be a nice taster for August, when me and my daughter have tickets to go to Friendsfest in Manchester. That's how sad I am...I just never get tired of this show. :o

Oh I’m so jealous, I’d love for friendsfest to come to Ireland. Have a great time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Sky won the bidding war for it.

It will air on Sky One on May 28th at 8:00pm.

I thought I saw that its on Sky on the 27th?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The host and the so called celebrity guests have turned me completely off the idea of watching this now.

I would have preferred a simple round table with the 6 of them answering questions sent in by fans and reminiscing about the show and guessing where their characters would be now in life 20 years later.

I think there's huge value in shows like this but for whatever reason they seem to think fans aren't capable of handling a show like that. Friends has an incredibly loyal fan base who would love a bit more a deep dive with their favourite characters rather than 'what episode David Beckham likes the most'.

I've read its 60 minutes long, which seems very short.

It’s two hours long according to Sky planner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,604 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It’s two hours long according to Sky planner

I would gather about 8 or 10 breaks, ad spots during that would be gold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭shadyslimshady

Ground control to major Tom, countdown running, engines on.

First reviews starting to appear and they are not good.

Two and half hours of fillers very little real content from the main 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

First reviews starting to appear and they are not good.

Two and half hours of fillers very little real content from the main 6.

I bet their wallets were filled as well.

• Advertisement

2.5 hours? What are they at.
    Definitely one for not watching live and just skip to the parts with them

Probably 90 minutes of actual content with and hour of ads in the States and 30 minutes of ads this side of the world making it 2.5 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Probably 90 minutes of actual content with and hour of ads in the States and 30 minutes of ads this side of the world making it 2.5 hours.

It's on HBO, no ads.

It's ~104 minutes without ads.
    Haven't watched it yet. Maybe this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

It's ~104 minutes without ads.
    Haven't watched it yet. Maybe this evening

I’m being forced to wait until this evening to watch it so you’re not alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Matt LeBlanc and Jennifer Aniston are the 2 who seem genuinely the most excited to be doing the reunion. They're both really into it

Schwimmer is good too, especially during the set pieces like the quiz.

Kudrow is quite enough, seems generally happy, likewise Courtney Cox. I know it's been 17 years, she's in her 50s, and it's Hollywood which brings a certain pressure on stars to maintain their looks - but every time Cox is on screen her surgery really stand out.

Perry is a strange one, they've definitely shown a lot less of him than the others and rarely show more than a sentence or so at a time. I know he's had some well documented issues, and I'd wonder if he was "off form" during this and they did some salvage work during editing.

• Advertisement

Makers said he had some dental work or something a few hours before and was still a bit drowsy from whatever they used

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I feel quite bad for Perry. He's the most likeable of the cast IMO and to see his career pan out in such a disappointing way due to his personal problems is just tragic.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Makers said he had some dental work or something a few hours before and was still a bit drowsy from whatever they used

A cover up.

Sad to see someone who played such a great character end up like he has. It's not dental work that has him like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

He had the same dental work on graham norton a few years ago...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Only about ten minutes in and disappointed by the amount of James Corden featured.

• Advertisement

Only about ten minutes in and disappointed by the amount of James Corden featured.

He's actually fairly restrained in this. It's about as tolerable as Corden ever gets, we got off very lucky IMO.

Not saying it's true but was the reason given when people commented. But I do hope he is doing better and this is the case this time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Huge fan of the show but disappointed when I saw the list of guest stars, don't see how half of them belong anywhere near this. James Corden is a twat, if this was a US only show fair enough they like him but the show is a global phenomenon and people outside of the US generally dislike him.

It was very obvious something was up when they were doing the final "Where do you think your characters would be now?" question.

Every one gave their own answer, except him. Courtney Cox basically answered it for him, and when he made a little joke about it, everyone kind of laughed nervously/dismissed it.

He seemed a lot more "present" for the parts shot on set. But not on the sofa in front of the fountain. They were definitely covering for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭JackTC

Just finished it there.

My one complaint is that they could have had a few more of the guest stars make an appearance. Ross' son Ben, the Italian guy Rachel dated, Phoebes brother, etc,...

The ending with the orchestra playing the theme and them dancing in the fountain, so well done.

Where are you watching this?

When is it on Sky? I'll record it.

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Where are you watching this?

When is it on Sky? I'll record it.

It's on Sky at 8pm.

Nice show.
    Don’t mess with your face.
    Don’t do drugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Addle wrote: »
    Nice show.
    Don’t overdo drugs.

Fixed it ;)

David & Lisa have aged well.

Pivot!

• Advertisement

40 minutes in so far and I'm pleasantly surprised. James Corden isn't as annoying as expected especially as he's the host of sorts. Enjoying the cast reminiscing and joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Sadler Peak

Addle wrote: »
    Nice show.
    Don’t do drugs.

A fair bit of plastic on show alright, jaysus.

You wouldn’t recognize Cox or Anniston at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

Is it actually available to watch on Now TV (I have the entertainment package there)? It shows on the home page but clicking on the icon seems to take me to Comedy Central which is currently showing a couple of episodes of the original shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

Shakyfan wrote: »
    Is it actually available to watch on Now TV (I have the entertainment package there)? It shows on the home page but clicking on the icon seems to take me to Comedy Central which is currently showing a couple of episodes of the original shows.

Yep, I have the entertainment package too and I’m watching it right now! Comes up on the home page when you go into the app.

They look good to me. Theres no point comparing the women with their 20 year old self but imagine a 50 something year old without some "work".

I am halfway through the episode on streaming. It's good. The Quiz was a good idea. Corden is ok, quieter than normal. The rest seem to be what they were as characters almost, except Matt who is much quieter.

It was nice to see them come and see the sets at the start. They were clearly fairly emotional with that.

I’m bawling right from the start. Poor Matthew doesn’t look well at all. And when Matt said about the apartment “was it always purple?”, I think that joke went right over their heads! He said that in the last episode

Finished now, enjoyed it. The celebrity cameos were fortunately not as bad as expected although I skipped through David Beckham and Lady Gaga.

Matthew Perry was definitely off and on the couch in the apartment towards the end he wasn't in a lot of the shots. Shame he's had issues with drugs. Kinda seems like nobody wants to really talk to him too.

What's the story with cutting Gunther's section? Seems like there was something cut short there, pretty sure he was hired because he was the only person on set who could use the coffee machine or something.

David Schwimmer comes across like such a nice guy. Slightly miffed that he doesn’t remember the episode where they can’t drop the ball though. How can they not know!! They must never watch it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

David Schwimmer comes across like such a nice guy. Slightly miffed that he doesn’t remember the episode where they can’t drop the ball though. How can they not know!! They must never watch it

In fairness, there's literally hundreds of episodes.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Advertisement