Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guarantor for a mortgage?

• 22-02-2020 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Is there such a thing as a bank allowing someone to go guarantor for a mortgage application?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

cc1234 wrote: »
    Is there such a thing as a bank allowing someone to go guarantor for a mortgage application?

Yes, it's still a thing albeit doesn't seem to be as popular as it used to be (maybe people got sense).

Speak to a mortgage adviser first and find out your options, your guarantor should also get legal advice first and know exactly what they are signing up for (basically the possibility that they will become wholly responsible for a mortgage).

I was talking to KBC about this exact thing yesterday, and they said that a guarantor isn't really the done thing anymore.

So.. I dunno.. make of that what you will, but it'd be helpful if anyone can point out any banks that do accept it as a payment strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭caoimhe_kelly

Resurrecting this..

Are guarantors a thing of the past altogether now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

I'm a mortgage Broker and I'm not aware of any lenders accepting guarantor's since the recession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,315 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Resurrecting this..

Pretty much. Mortgage assessment is based entirely on the repayment ability of the proposed borrowers within regulatory limits etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Resurrecting this..

In theory it's still possible... but it unlikely you find may lenders will to go down that road.

Normally the bank are looking at to things in this respect: The ability of the borrower to make the repayments and the value of the property incase in all goes wrong and they need to recover their money that way.

If there is a need for a guarantor, then either the ability of the borrower to meet the repayments are in question of the value of the asset. Either way, giving a guarantee is not something to do.

Advertisement